Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Baltimore Orioles Thread - Hot Stove Edition

MattFancy

This team sucked for so long. Knowing how difficult it is to make a winner, I don't know why people want to go back to sucking. Also, the logic being presented is:

1. The O's suck at developing prospects.

2. The O's should trade for more prospects.

IF the O's suck at developing prospects, why do people want to trade for prospects? That just doesn't seem logical if the desire is to win. Also, I think people are way overvaluing the return trading some Orioles players. Britton has the most value on the trade market probably followed by Jones. Maybe Britton gets you an top rated prospect. Beyond that, no one gets you much. Trading a really young pitcher in Gausman for prospects doesn't make any sense cause he is a highly rated prospect.  

The rule across team sports is that teams with a ton of youth don't win much and certainly don't win championships. The same conversation has been had over the years in the Caps thread about Ovechkin and I never understood that logic either.

As explained earlier, you get ML ready prospects that are developed primarily in other systems first.  The Orioles can't draft and develop, you're missing the point and putting the cart before the horse.  

If you think a closer has more trade value over an every day player or a starting pitcher, I don't know what else to tell you.

As explained earlier, you get ML ready prospects that are developed primarily in other systems first.  The Orioles can't draft and develop, you're missing the point and putting the cart before the horse.  

If you think a closer has more trade value over an every day player or a starting pitcher, I don't know what else to tell you.

As explained, the O's are not going to get a bunch of ML ready prospects. You are way overvaluing what you think the O's would get back for trading everyone.

Fanfest is alright but seeing as I have no emotional ties to the Orioles anymore I couldn't really be fired up to see a player. I did get a program signed and I did get a fair amount of free promotional giveaway (take note Nats to freely distribute leftover swag to fans) but the best part of the day was probably going behind the scenes into Camden Yards to see the clubhouse. 

Phillies just traded a guy who closed for half a season for some legit prospects, including a guy who went number 1 overall a few years ago: Mark Appel.

Philly sent a SS prospect to Houston as well in return for Houston's 8th rated prospect, a 23 year old pitcher, a 26 year old pitcher and a former number 1 pick that had a 4.37 ERA between AA and AAA and is no longer some can't miss top prospect. I'm not sure how many of those are legit prospects.

Ok, prove me wrong.

The burden of proof isn't on me to prove some hypothetical wrong. Which Oriole players that you would trade would bring back ML ready players?

Philly sent a SS prospect to Houston as well in return for Houston's 8th rated prospect, a 23 year old pitcher, a 26 year old pitcher and a former number 1 pick that had a 4.37 ERA between AA and AAA and is no longer some can't miss top prospect. I'm not sure how many of those are legit prospects.

The burden of proof isn't on me to prove some hypothetical wrong. Which Oriole players that you would trade would bring back ML ready players?

Oh I get it, I see where you're coming from now.  Our guys are awesome and we'll win 96 games with them but they suck on the trade market.

If the Mets can get Syndergaard for RA Dickey, I'm not sure what Tillman could receive.  

I'm not sure what Tillman could receive based off the Hamels deal. He's not the pitcher Hamels is but I think he could get something about has half as good as that return.

And what about the Shelby Miller trade?  We couldn't have done that with Arizona?

Reds got SF's 5th best prospect back for Mike Leake, Keury Mella.

Carlos Gomez netted 4 prospects at the deadline last year, I'm assuming Jones could get us at least three.  

No, the burden of proof is on you to prove me wrong.  You claim that this can be a great Orioles team and win the division this year but then you go and say the players that make up this team are worth nothing on the trade market.  How is that possible?

Oh I get it, I see where you're coming from now.  Our guys are awesome and we'll win 96 games with them but they suck on the trade market.

If the Mets can get Syndergaard for RA Dickey, I'm not sure what Tillman could receive.  

I'm not sure what Tillman could receive based off the Hamels deal. He's not the pitcher Hamels is but I think he could get something about has half as good as that return.

And what about the Shelby Miller trade?  We couldn't have done that with Arizona?

Reds got SF's 5th best prospect back for Mike Leake, Keury Mella.

Carlos Gomez netted 4 prospects at the deadline last year, I'm assuming Jones could get us at least three.  

No, the burden of proof is on you to prove me wrong.  You claim that this can be a great Orioles team and win the division this year but then you go and say the players that make up this team are worth nothing on the trade market.  How is that possible?

No, Tillman would not have brought back what Shelby Miller did. If you think that, you really do not know baseball. Tillman had an almost 5.00 ERA this year. His trade value is way down. You can't possibly compare Tillman to Hamels.

Carlos Gomez did not net 4 prospects. Gomez was traded with Fiers, a starting pitcher with an ERA under 4, netted 4 total prospects and netted one that was ranked in the top-100. (number 76 in one ranking)

Yes the O's can win the division cause of guys like Machado and Schoop and the strength of the bullpen. The starting staff has to pitch like they did in 2014 or they will not win the division.

No, Tillman would not have brought back what Shelby Miller did. If you think that, you really do not know baseball. Tillman had an almost 5.00 ERA this year. His trade value is way down. You can't possibly compare Tillman to Hamels.

Carlos Gomez did not net 4 prospects. Gomez was traded with Fiers, a starting pitcher with an ERA under 4, netted 4 total prospects and netted one that was ranked in the top-100. (number 76 in one ranking)

Yes the O's can win the division cause of guys like Machado and Schoop and the strength of the bullpen. The starting staff has to pitch like they did in 2014 or they will not win the division.

Right, but you've been telling me that Tillman and Gonzo are going to have bounce-back years and this team will win the division so wouldn't other teams feel the same way?  Now according to you all of a sudden Tillman is a 5.00 ERA pitcher who has no trade value.  Which is it?

Right, but you've been telling me that Tillman and Gonzo are going to have bounce-back years and this team will win the division so wouldn't other teams feel the same way?  Now according to you all of a sudden Tillman is a 5.00 ERA pitcher who has no trade value.  Which is it?

It's the same thing. The O's must count on him to bounce back but other teams don't give up top, ML ready prospects in hopes a player bounces back unless maybe that pitcher has won a Cy Young. When a player has a bad year, there trade value is diminished. This is not that hard to comprehend.

Anyone can be traded for some caliber of "prospects" but your entire argument is built around getting top level, MLB ready prospects. That doesn't happen all that often. The O's would have a better chance of extracting that at the trade deadline to a team that moves all in. The Tigers got a lot for David Price at the deadline cause the Jays went for it and Price is an Ace caliber pitcher.

Fanfest is alright but seeing as I have no emotional ties to the Orioles anymore I couldn't really be fired up to see a player. I did get a program signed and I did get a fair amount of free promotional giveaway (take note Nats to freely distribute leftover swag to fans) but the best part of the day was probably going behind the scenes into Camden Yards to see the clubhouse. 

that's always my favorite part of fanfest. Glad you had fun.

Archived