Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

21 hours ago, tshile said:

https://goo.gl/photos/W474AAG6gWadZrPJA

The pic of the back is showing an electric box for powering computer fans inside that circulate air.

Biggest issues with kegerators (aside from size/insulation) is they don't circulate air and it results in a gradient of temps which is no good for lagering or being anal and wanting a consistent temp.

Inside is one sixth barrel keg but it'll fit 4 or 5 plus cases stacked. There's a co2 manifold there with 4 connections and room to add more.

I have a bottle filler that hooks up to the co2 and let's you fill a bottle with co2 then slowly dispense the beer so it never touches oxygen, therefore will keep for a long time. So I can take a 6 pack with me, or a growler, or whatever when I need to. You'll also see the insulation around the wood collar I built and one of the computer fans.

Now back to tiling my master bath... boo...

Here's the setup in mine. The PC fan made a big difference. How does that Ever Dry work? I use a container of Damp-Rid. 

20170529_111927.jpg

20170529_111915.jpg

• Like 2

have some st. louis style ribs slow cooking on the grill at about 275 (thought I had some chips to use for smoking but guess I tossed them :( ).  Using a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder, mccormicks pork rub and light soy and Worcestershire.  I've done a quick cook on them before using just the rub and they turned out great so hoping for a repeat.

Also going to toss on some pre-marinaded asian seasoned beef skewers (delicious if you haven't tried them) for the wife and kid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

How does that Ever Dry work?

Well I dropped it on the concrete floor of my basement and it shattered and the little balls went everywhere. Those pics were from first setup.

But until then, good enough I didn't want to replace it, not good enough to recommend it.

?

Eh. I probably get something else when I set it up again. It's about to go in storage next to my kamado :(

37 minutes ago, tshile said:

Well I dropped it on the concrete floor of my basement and it shattered and the little balls went everywhere. Those pics were from first setup.

But until then, good enough I didn't want to replace it, not good enough to recommend it.

?

Eh. I probably get something else when I set it up again. It's about to go in storage next to my kamado :(

The Damp-Rid works great in my kegerator, but it's smaller than your freezer and, since I don't brew, I seldom open the door.

• Like 1

Decided not to grill, not up to it after working my ass off all weekend, exhausted.  Took  some chicken out of the freezer that I previously prepared using ginger, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce.  Cooked up some udon noodles in chicken broth and threw in the chicken.  Have enough left for later in the week. 

My neighbors went to the DQ and brought me back some chocolate ice cream that was delicious!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Apple wood smoked, bacon wrapped, bratwurst stuffed pork tenderloin. Seasoned with Lucky Dog BBQ pork rub, and finished with bbq sauce. Plated with some bourbon honey baked beans and the delicious bacon weave wrapper! 

34859263792_552aa247ba_b.jpg

34891049401_c8345912b6_b.jpg

34859262842_95201471af_b.jpg

34179404264_65fe195e9d_b.jpg

Not enough pork in this dish.....

• Like 2

On 5/31/2017 at 10:05 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Apple wood smoked, bacon wrapped, bratwurst stuffed pork tenderloin. Seasoned with Lucky Dog BBQ pork rub, and finished with bbq sauce. Plated with some bourbon honey baked beans and the delicious bacon weave wrapper!

You'll need this:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You'll need this:

:rofl89:So I'm not the only one! LoL!

34205919704_08fdf028fc_z.jpg

BTW, this is how I cook my corn on the cob. (Staged for the photo) but I put them directly over the coals, and then rotate when the husk blackens. Once they are evenly black I pull them, cut the stalk end off then peel with tongs. The moisture in the husk steams the corn, perfect every time I've done it. Most times I throw it back on the coals for some color.

Here's last night's result. BTW, this is the left over stuffed tenderloin, and the bacon isn't burnt, it's just very carmelized. (I add sugar and brown sugar to the bbq rub and it gets really dark but oohhh so good)

34661851330_9dca3a10a9_b.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

:rofl89:So I'm not the only one! LoL!

34205919704_08fdf028fc_z.jpg

BTW, this is how I cook my corn on the cob. (Staged for the photo) but I put them directly over the coals, and then rotate when the husk blackens. Once they are evenly black I pull them, cut the stalk end off then peel with tongs. The moisture in the husk steams the corn, perfect every time I've done it. Most times I throw it back on the coals for some color.

Here's last night's result. BTW, this is the left over stuffed tenderloin, and the bacon isn't burnt, it's just very carmelized. (I add sugar and brown sugar to the bbq rub and it gets really dark but oohhh so good)

34661851330_9dca3a10a9_b.jpg

With the corn, I do the same thing, except I cut off most of the stalk end,(with kitchen shears) before tossing them on the grill.  It makes more room on the grill.   I also toss them on top of the crabs, when we steam crabs.

• Like 3

Cooking tasty corn is 99 percent a function of the quality of the corn.  Its not in season yet and tastes bad, period.

By the way, how did the bacon wrapped tenderloin turn out?  How long did you cook it?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zoony said:

Cooking tasty corn is 99 percent a function of the quality of the corn.  Its not in season yet and tastes bad, period.

By the way, how did the bacon wrapped tenderloin turn out?  How long did you cook it?

Cook time: indirect heat for about 90 minutes turned it 180 degrees once. I pulled it at 145 internal temp, the brats needed a bit more time, but I didn't want to dry out the loin. So I sliced some "steaks" and threw them back on for a few min. I know the "official" pork temp is 165 but that's death to pork IMO...pure sawdust. Even the next night (threw the steaks back on the grill with some sauce) and they were really good! 

I will definetly do it again. That bacon was so good! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Cook time: indirect heat for about 90 minutes turned it 180 degrees once. I pulled it at 145 internal temp, the brats needed a bit more time, but I didn't want to dry out the loin. So I sliced some "steaks" and threw them back on for a few min. I know the "official" pork temp is 165 but that's death to pork IMO...pure sawdust. Even the next night (threw the steaks back on the grill with some sauce) and they were really good! 

I will definetly do it again. That bacon was so good! 

The official pork safe temp, was dialed back to 145 degrees, years ago.    165 is still the safe temp for ground pork and sausage.    

• Like 2

We checked out the new Harris Teeter near our house. We love the ones in VA Beach and.couldn't wait for this one to open.  I LOVE IT!  Clean, well stocked and everyone is friendly.  Prices are pretty good,  but you have to know your prices.  We snagged an 8-piece fried chicken bucket for $4.99, (for the Iron Maiden tailgate tomorrow \m/ ) it's a Friday special, and snagged a beautiful Angus  2" thick NY strip, whice is in the grill now.  We had an Italian cold-cut, freshy made, for $4.99, also a Friday special.  The produce is very nice, but too pricey for our blood.   Lots of meat specials, and they double coupons up to $0.99.  

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

We checked out the new Harris Teeter near our house. We love the ones in VA Beach and.couldn't wait for this one to open.  I LOVE IT!  Clean, well stocked and everyone is friendly.  Prices are pretty good,  but you have to know your prices.  We snagged an 8-piece fried chicken bucket for $4.99, (for the Iron Maiden tailgate tomorrow \m/ ) it's a Friday special, and snagged a beautiful Angus  2" thick NY strip, whice is in the grill now.  We had an Italian cold-cut, freshy made, for $4.99, also a Friday special.  The produce is very nice, but too pricey for our blood.   Lots of meat specials, and they double coupons up to $0.99.  

Try their Filet from the butcher case when it goes on sale.  Also try their fresh ground chuck from the butcher case too.  I'm normally a ribeye guy but damn these filets are good.  Believe it or not Harris Teeter and Walmart are my 2 favorite reasonably priced places to get meat. 

Edited by HOF44
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

Try their Filet from the butcher case when it goes on sale.  Also try their fresh ground chuck from the butcher case too.  I'm normally a ribeye guy but damn these filets are good.  Believe it or not Harris Teeter and Walmart are my 2 favorite reasonably priced places to get meat. 

The one in my neighborhood is pretty good too.  You have to find the right sales though.  When you do, it can be amazing value.  I just got an 8 pound Boston Butt for 8 dollars.  I'm going to cook it tomorrow.

I think I'm going to make baked beans too.  I figure I might as well if I'm already going to be cooking all day.

• Like 1