Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

1 hour ago, zoony said:

You pull at 203 huh?  Its been a while but seems like i remember 195 or so

What are the benefits and drawbaclks?  I also read 205 and even 210

Yup!

Benefits?  Not sure. I read that on the Amazing Ribs site, years ago, and it has worked.  I've never pulled one below 200. 

Drawbacks? Again, not sure.  I've never had an issue.  On the next one, I might check it at a lower temp, maybe 195, and see if it's tender enough. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I could get finished earlier. 

28 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yup!

Benefits?  Not sure. I read that on the Amazing Ribs site, years ago, and it has worked.  I've never pulled one below 200. 

Drawbacks? Again, not sure.  I've never had an issue.  On the next one, I might check it at a lower temp, maybe 195, and see if it's tender enough. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I could get finished earlier. 

I'm always heard 195ish for slicing and 205ish for pulling.  

On another note:

I'm going to be designing an outdoor cooking and brewing area. If anyone has any ideas or awesome designs I'd love to see them.

What it needs to do/have/support:

Some sort of medium propane grill for when I need it (for whatever reason)

A kamado grill/smoker

Run a heavy duty propane burner for when I'm brewing beer

Big work area that's easy to clean and sanitize, used for beer (where sanitizing is critical) and preparing/staging food (I'm assuming stainless steel here but open to ideas)

Large sink that can accommodate 15 gallon stainless steel kettles

Storage areas would be preferred but not necessary

The look/materials for it will probably depend on the house, likely stone but could be brick... thinking stamped concrete for the flooring... definitely open to ideas.

Edited by tshile

Just now, tshile said:

On another note:

I'm going to be designing an outdoor cooking and brewing area. If anyone has any ideas or awesome designs I'd love to see them.

What it needs to do/have/support:

Some sort of medium propane grill for when I need it (for whatever reason)

A kamado grill/smoker

Run a heavy duty propane burner for when I'm brewing beer

Big work area that's easy to clean and sanitize, used for beer (where sanitizing is critical) and preparing/staging food

Large sink that can accommodate 15 gallon stainless steel kettles

Storage areas would be preferred but not necessary

The look/materials for it will probably depend on the house, likely stone but could be brick... thinking stamped concrete for the flooring... definitely open to ideas.

Outdoor-rated kegerator. Duh!

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Outdoor-rated kegerator. Duh!

Hah 

I already have a large chest freezer converted into a kegerator (keezer is the slang for it) and it hold 4 kegs plus cases of beer stacked up.

I actually just picked up 2 more kegs for it...

It would be a hard sale to the wife to get one for outdoors :(

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I'm always heard 195ish for slicing and 205ish for pulling.  

I've heard similiar numbers. I guess that those #'s are guidelines.  I don't slice 'em and I've never taken one past 203.

Next one I'll start to.check at 198°.  Each piece of meat is different. I've had 5lb roasts done in 8 hrs, and a 4.5lb one take 11 hours.  

7 minutes ago, tshile said:

Hah 

I already have a large chest freezer converted into a kegerator (keezer is the slang for it) and it hold 4 kegs plus cases of beer stacked up.

If it's an older freezer, they're bullet-proof, and if it's out of the direct sun, you should be good.  

10 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

If it's an older freezer, they're bullet-proof, and if it's out of the direct sun, you should be good.  

What I might do is install a tap and run a line.

It can't be active all the time, an non-cold line would mean flushing the line every time which is no go. But it could be in place and hooked up when needed (smoking, brewing, having people over.) If I flush it when I'm done it'll stay clean/usable....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

What I might do is install a tap and run a line.

It can't be active all the time, an non-cold line would mean flushing the line every time which is no go. But it could be in place and hooked up when needed (smoking, brewing, having people over.) If I flush it when I'm done it'll stay clean/usable....

What time do I show up?  I'll bring the Missus a bottle of bourbon. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zoony said:

Sometimes the temperatures are based on giving enough time for the meat to be above whatever temperature you actually need to hit to achieve the desired effect.

In other words, if you need to hit 145 to kill a certain species of bacteria, it won't do to pull the meat right at 145.  Creatures don't instantly die, and there's no guarantee that every point in the meat is at that temperature.  (Although with good thermometer placement, you should be pretty close to the coolest point.  Bones and things can play havoc with that though, so you never know.)  That's why the recommendation for chicken is 165-170.  It's not that it has to get that hot to kill bacteria, but reaching that temperature ensures that you've been at or above your target temperature long enough to actually kill the bugs.

It wouldn't surprise me if it works similarly for breaking down connective tissue.  Pitmasters have found that by the time they reach ____ the collagen and such have had enough time to break down.  I'm guessing it's much less of an exact science than killing bacteria though, and people probably just a find a pet temperature that seems to work for them and they stick to it kind of like the way people settle into a pre-swing routine they like in golf or baseball.  Could you actually tell the difference between a pork shoulder pulled at 203 and one pulled at 205 side by side in a blind test?  I doubt it.

Edited by dfitzo53

8 hours ago, zoony said:

I've never made it to 203. I usually pull between 195 and 200 and it shreds just fine for me. It also may be my thermometer--it's old and may not be accurate anymore

6 hours ago, tshile said:

Hah 

Pics please 

Ok, I just wanted to put this out there in case any of you were putting together a Christmas list for me! This little bugger is AWESOME!!! 

https://uuni.net/

34132552903_e8a92eb147_b.jpg

At temp it runs over 900 degrees. And will cook a pizza in 80 seconds...I am not playing!

20 seconds...turn 180 degrees...reinsert

20 seconds....

Serve!

Here are two of the five we made last night!

34099942444_ea3cf22765_b.jpg

34132558633_84c30f1d56_b.jpg

Homemade dough Uuni gives you a great recipe that is amazing.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 6

Making a crispy pork belly for Memorial day.   I found the recipe on-line, and have made it before.   Basically, you take a pork-belly, dust it with smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt & pepper, wrap it in parchment paper, double-wrap in aluminium foil and bake at 200 for six hours.   Let it cool to room temp, stick in fridge overnight.

Unwrap, use the congealed fat in a pre-heated cast-iron pan, cut cross-hatch marks on the fat side, and slice into strips, and fry until golden and crispy on med-high heat.   I use the gas grill loaded with a smoker box full of hickory chips, instead of the stove.   You get a nice sear on the pork, and a touch of smoke.

I'll serve it over rice, and a Three Bean Salad w/Chipotle vinaigrette, courtesy of the Tabasco web-site, and my Carolina Vinegar sauce for dipping.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Pics please 

https://goo.gl/photos/W474AAG6gWadZrPJA

The pic of the back is showing an electric box for powering computer fans inside that circulate air.

Biggest issues with kegerators (aside from size/insulation) is they don't circulate air and it results in a gradient of temps which is no good for lagering or being anal and wanting a consistent temp.

Inside is one sixth barrel keg but it'll fit 4 or 5 plus cases stacked. There's a co2 manifold there with 4 connections and room to add more.

I have a bottle filler that hooks up to the co2 and let's you fill a bottle with co2 then slowly dispense the beer so it never touches oxygen, therefore will keep for a long time. So I can take a 6 pack with me, or a growler, or whatever when I need to. You'll also see the insulation around the wood collar I built and one of the computer fans.

Now back to tiling my master bath... boo...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

https://goo.gl/photos/W474AAG6gWadZrPJA

The pic of the back is showing an electric box for powering computer fans inside that circulate air.

Biggest issues with kegerators (aside from size/insulation) is they don't circulate air and it results in a gradient of temps which is no good for lagering or being anal and wanting a consistent temp.

Inside is one sixth barrel keg but it'll fit 4 or 5 plus cases stacked. There's a co2 manifold there with 4 connections and room to add more.

I have a bottle filler that hooks up to the co2 and let's you fill a bottle with co2 then slowly dispense the beer so it never touches oxygen, therefore will keep for a long time. So I can take a 6 pack with me, or a growler, or whatever when I need to. You'll also see the insulation around the wood collar I built and one of the computer fans.

Now back to tiling my master bath... boo...

When I modified my kegerator, I installed an old PC fan, to circulate the air in the box, and  a tower cooler.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2017 at 6:26 PM, dfitzo53 said:

Sometimes the temperatures are based on giving enough time for the meat to be above whatever temperature you actually need to hit to achieve the desired effect.

In other words, if you need to hit 145 to kill a certain species of bacteria, it won't do to pull the meat right at 145.  Creatures don't instantly die, and there's no guarantee that every point in the meat is at that temperature.  (Although with good thermometer placement, you should be pretty close to the coolest point.  Bones and things can play havoc with that though, so you never know.)  That's why the recommendation for chicken is 165-170.  It's not that it has to get that hot to kill bacteria, but reaching that temperature ensures that you've been at or above your target temperature long enough to actually kill the bugs.

It wouldn't surprise me if it works similarly for breaking down connective tissue.  Pitmasters have found that by the time they reach ____ the collagen and such have had enough time to break down.  I'm guessing it's much less of an exact science than killing bacteria though, and people probably just a find a pet temperature that seems to work for them and they stick to it kind of like the way people settle into a pre-swing routine they like in golf or baseball.  Could you actually tell the difference between a pork shoulder pulled at 203 and one pulled at 205 side by side in a blind test?  I doubt it.

Agreed.

As for the collagen melting, and turning into gelatin, there actually is a science behind it.  A temp range that falls anywhere between 160-205°, is where it melts down, depending on the type, and cut, of meat. 

I think I read that 203° was the number that I read, years ago, that worked for pitmaster that I trust, so I stick to it. It's done when it's done, and each piece of meat is different.  One butt might be ready to pull at 190°, another one might not be ready pull until it hits 200+.  Next one I do, I'll check at 190, and see what happens.

• Like 1