Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

5 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Those both look yummy!

The shrimp dish is my fav, warch the video, cooking the noodles in the shrimp juices I'll not buy alfredo sauce in a jar again.

One of the biggest helps to my cooking has been these videos. I won't have Moroccan highland land scallops so these are great because they use basic ingredients that any local grocery will have, but they are some amazing dishes.

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

Easter Dinner:

Grilled Rack of lamb and lamb chops (salt, pepper, cumin) with mint sauce.

Grilled flank steak with chimichurri sauce

red skinned parmesan smashed potatoes

Meat & Cheese board

Dessert: cadbury chocolate volcano cakes that my daughter made from scratch.

33927176862_77a14eed1f_b.jpg

33927176652_8b586e4c2f_b.jpg

33699660600_f3ac5f35a1_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3

I'm a big fan of chimichurri sauce.  The mexican restaurant where I worked for 10 years made an absolutely awesome one that included our signature Sangria for our filet mignon fajita special every Friday night.  Just remembering that made my stomach growl.:ols:

• Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 10:00 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

The shrimp dish is my fav, warch the video, cooking the noodles in the shrimp juices I'll not buy alfredo sauce in a jar again.

One of the biggest helps to my cooking has been these videos. I won't have Moroccan highland land scallops so these are great because they use basic ingredients that any local grocery will have, but they are some amazing dishes.

Are you Richard Branson? Fine cigars, fine wine and fine food. 

Your posts make me feel like a street rat and I do pretty good money wise. 

Congrats. Im jealous. sigh ... 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I know right!!! Such humble beginnings now to baller status.  You go ASF!!!

• Like 4

Lawd help me!  I bought another Weber kettle. It's the first one, in the left, next to the gas grill. It's a one-touch, in great shape, for only $30.00. I could not resist. They even threw in two bags of Kingsford briquettes,  and a bag of hickory chips. I need help. Seriously!

20170416_101354.jpg

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

I know right!!! Such humble beginnings now to baller status.  You go ASF!!!

LoL! Well, I don't own a boat or a pool or horses, so I like to eat and drink well. Gotta have a hobby. LOL!

Trust me, I don't eat like this all the time, but when I see something on sale I snag it, and I'm learning how to work with inexpensive cuts of meat like the flank steak.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

LoL! Well, I don't own a boat or a pool or horses, so I like to eat and drink well. Gotta have a hobby. LOL!

Trust me, I don't eat like this all the time, but when I see something on sale I snag it, and I'm learning how to work with inexpensive cuts of meat like the flank steak.

Nothing wrong with eating and drinking well!

Where are you finding "inexpensive" flank steak?  At Costco, in the Baltimore metro area, it's ~ $6.50lb, which isn't much less than the cost of ribeye. Same deal with BJ's wholesale club.  It's costs even more, at our grocery stores.  

I consider inexpensive cuts, as far as beef goes, top sirloin, brisket, Chuck roast, etc.  For pork, cheap is all about the shoulder, and for chicken?  Bone-in thighs and livers..Mmmmmm.

I visited a Costco,  in Norfolk,  and they had some thing called "flap" steak. It looks like skirt steak, but was more tender..I haven't seen it around here...

Edited by Skinsfan1311

12 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I visited a Costco,  in Norfolk,  and they had some thing called "flap" steak. It looks like skirt steak, but was more tender..I haven't seen it around here...

Sounds like TOOC material.  I can hear someone yelling at a co-worker or employee, "Hey, you gonna flap the steak or get to work?"

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Nothing wrong with eating and drinking well!

Where are you finding "inexpensive" flank steak?  At Costco, in the Baltimore metro area, it's ~ $6.50lb, which isn't much less than the cost of ribeye. Same deal with BJ's wholesale club.  It's costs even more, at our grocery stores.  

I consider inexpensive cuts, as far as beef goes, top sirloin, brisket, Chuck roast, etc.  For pork, cheap is all about the shoulder, and for chicken?  Bone-in thighs and livers..Mmmmmm.

I actually buy most of my beef and pork wholesale. The flank steak here is pretty cheap, not london broil cheap but still cheaper than the prime cuts. Most folks out here don't even use flank because it toughens up so easily and people don't watch their cooking temps so they turn it into shoe leather.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I actually buy most of my beef and pork wholesale. The flank steak here is pretty cheap, not london broil cheap but still cheaper than the prime cuts. Most folks out here don't even use flank because it toughens up so easily and people don't watch their cooking temps so they turn it into shoe leather.

I would love to find it cheap, but it'it's never on sale around here. I justhink marinade, then hot and fast cook to medium rare. Once people around there figure that out, it'll get.popular, and more expensive. That's what happened around here with skirt steak. It used to be cheap.

Funny thing, I hit the Costco, in Norfolk, Va, and they were selling Prime whole packer briskets, for $2.99 lb. The Choice flats were $4.49 lb. Go figure.

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

I would love to find it cheap, but it'it's never on sale around here. I justhink marinade, then hot and fast cook to medium rare. Once people around there figure that out, it'll get.popular, and more expensive. That's what happened around here with skirt steak. It used to be cheap.

Funny thing, I hit the Costco, in Norfolk, Va, and they were selling Prime whole packer briskets, for $2.99 lb. The Choice flats were $4.49 lb. Go figure.

I don't even marinade, just cook offset heat on the grill to internal temp 140 finish over coals for color. First real lesson I ever got about cooking was about the internal temps. That and letting the meat rest. I sure hope our prices don't go up here!

Yeah there's a crazy thing that seems to happen with steak, at least from what I've seen.  Skirt and flank are supposed to be "cheap" cuts, but they're often $6-8 per pound, and they rarely if ever go on sale for anything less than that.

And yet, wetvac beef tenderloins and standing rib roasts will occasionally go on sale for that same $6 price tag.

The only actual cheap cuts now are things like round.

• Like 1

Here is the weekly price sheet from my wholesaler. The flank steaks come in a box with about 8-10 steaks in it. I've got a ribeye loin and a new york strip loin in the freezer cut at 1 inch each. Those work out to about $5 per steak! I'd rather have a $5 steak on the grill than McDonalds!!

34064250516_87ba5b1777_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I don't even marinade, just cook offset heat on the grill to internal temp 140 finish over coals for color. First real lesson I ever got about cooking was about the internal temps. That and letting the meat rest. I sure hope our prices don't go up here!

Amen!  

Temps are critical. 99% of the time, I cook to temp.  That's what I tell all of my friends who aspire to cook decent meals. I cannot stress it enough.  Drop the $90.00 and get a kick-ass insta-read thermometer, like a  Thermapen.  It seems a little high, but your cost savings will be realized quickly, when you don't ruin expensive cuts of meat.      

38 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Round is great for a crock pot.  The juices simmer in and it's yummy.

I usually make sure I check it about half way through, and tear the middle, to see what it looks like, I'm a mid-rare kinda gal.  Pull mine out, let hubby's keep goin'.

I make pit-beef with it, when it goes on sale.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Amen!  

Temps are critical. 99% of the time, I cook to temp.  That's what I tell all of my friends who aspire to cook decent meals. I cannot stress it enough.  Drop the $90.00 and get a kick-ass insta-read thermometer, like a  Thermapen.  It seems a little high, but your cost savings will be realized quickly, when you don't ruin expensive cuts of meat.      

Exactly. I've lost  Count of the number of times I've heard people say, "Put it on the grill for about 10 minutes" right there I know they don't have a clue. Especially, if they are cooking on charcoal! I bought one of those probes that have the readout on a cable so you can close the lid and let things cook without checking, works great..used it twice and left it in the rain last night.....:chair:

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Exactly. I've lost  Count of the number of times I've heard people say, "Put it on the grill for about 10 minutes" right there I know they don't have a clue. Especially, if they are cooking on charcoal! I bought one of those probes that have the readout on a cable so you can close the lid and let things cook without checking, works great..used it twice and left it in the rain last night.....:chair:

I'm almost as obsessed thermometers!  I have a bunch, and use them all, especially the Thermapen, (not pictured here). I mainly use the remote thermometers, like you described, when I smoke food. I recently purchased  a real sweet one, "the Smoke"  by Thermoworks. It's the Rolls-Royce of digital remotes.  It's dual-probe, (one for the grill grate and one for that stays in the food), and the calibration is NIST-traceable. The main unit transmits, wirelessly, 300 feet to the remote receiver.  It has low, and high, alarms.  Yeah, I'm a geek.

20170417_190745.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 3