Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

My wife and I cooked for my mother in law yesterday.  Made these lemon cheesecake pancakes for brunch that everyone liked.  For dinner we grilled rockfish and asparagus and made rice and beans.  I'd never had rockfish before, it was outstanding.  And Carolina Gold rice lives up to the hype, I have never had better rice.  My wife made a strawberry pie for dessert that was great too.  Good day.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

What a yummy meal! What's Carolina Gold rice? 

It's a long grain variety of rice grown in North and South Carolina that has spectacular flavor and texture.  It's got an interesting story behind it.  The variety was originally brought to South Carolina in the mid colonial period from either West Africa or Asia.  Eventually it became America's first and most successful commercial rice.  But the rice industry in Carolina was totally reliant on slave labor, so it pretty much collapsed after the Civil War.  Growing rice is not easy.  It takes a great deal of labor and expertise, and the slaves that were imported from the West African coast were the ones who had that expertise.  Losing their free labor, plus a series of hurricanes basically made the production of Carolina Gold extinct by the beginning the 20th century.  Then in the late 90's some artisan farmers resurrected the seed and started growing it commercially again.

• Like 3

My wife wanted tri-tip for Mother's Day dinner. The weather in NOVA couldn't have cooperated any better.  What we have is before, during, and after pics of a decent smoke.  Grill waffled between 225 and 250 because of the wind.  Used some cherry wood chips for some really sweet smoke.  Came off the grill at 150 and peaked at 155 under the foil.  DELICIOUS.  Served with some sweet corn and fresh green beans tossed in olive oil, salt, & pepper, and a tin of Sister Schuberts yeast rolls.

Leftovers tonight!

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1694.JPG

Edited by Popeman38
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

My wife wanted tri-tip for Mother's Day dinner. The weather in NOVA couldn't have cooperated any better.  What we have is before, during, and after pics of a decent smoke.  Grill waffled between 225 and 250 because of the wind.  Used some cherry wood chips for some really sweet smoke.  Came off the grill at 150 and peaked at 155 under the foil.  DELICIOUS.  Served with some sweet corn and fresh green beans tossed in olive oil, salt, & pepper, and a tin of Sister Schuberts yeast rolls.

Leftovers tonight!

There were leftovers?

• Like 2

Chicken masala for dinner tonight. Good flavoring but I'm going to add some sriracha to punch it up a bit more.

FTR I don't recommend the corn tortillas with it. It definitely needed some naan bread, the tortillas just sent the flavor in the wrong direction IMO.

34634512312_0c4c25cd08_b.jpg

34756693566_16f8e121c9_b.jpg

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alvinzhou/this-homemade-chicken-tikka-masala-is-perfect-for-dinner?utm_term=.ay45XBNmD#.otPeP0AnO

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

Ok, last night's photo was dreadful. I woke up this morning and the leftovers were screaming at me. So brekkie!! 

I added sriracha and it was absolutely the right choice! I was amazed at how much the cream knocks down the spice. Obviously spice to taste but I made mine a mild/medium heat and it was perfect this morning.  

Anyone else have a masala recipe?

Edited by AsburySkinsFan

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Put a butt on the kettle, with the SnS at 7:00am. getting there....the 2nd pic is 9 hours in. I'm shooting for 203°

My wife and I just splurged, fairly significantly, and got a Primo Ceramic smoker. **** is worth every penny--that weekend we had where the high was 48, cloudy, windy, typically a day that is awful to smoke in, was made a cinch. It made the best ribs I've ever made. The only trick is getting enough smoke--which I'm still trying to figure out smoke would only get thick at over 250° which will over cook and dry out the meat.

Going to make some ribs next weekend...just because. 

I am also ordering some rib sauce online that I am hoping will be the same stuff they use at DC Chinese places. 

I use the sauce for wings though. 

You guys remember when folks said this ? If it is indeed the right sauce. 

"Slammin'" 

1311... Can I come visit ? One weekend at your place, one weekend with Asbury. Heck, come with me to Asbury's place. I am in Knoxville all the time. Close enough. haha. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I decided to get some BBQ chicken from Famous Dave's. I ran around all over today and just don't feel like cooking. Besides, Sunday is chicken special day.

I have always wanted to try their food. I have heard good things...but I am always skeptical when it comes to food.  

• Like 1

I don't like their ribs, too heavily rubbed and too salty. 

I like the half BBQ chicken, the sauce is not hot spicy and not too salty. The sides are pretty good. Today I got collard greens and garlic mashed potatoes, which weren't too garlicky. I also got the Drunkin apples for dessert, saving for tomorrow. The desserts are pretty good, most come with ice cream, but since I have ice cream at home I didn't get dessert.

I really miss having a good BBQ place around. Years ago we had a place that served Memphis ribs that were delicious, but long gone.

There's a soul food place opening soon on RT One, looking to trying it out.

• Like 1