Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

First time pickling onions, four flavors: jalepeño, peppercorn, clove, and garlic with red wine vinegar. I thought it would take longer, but within an hour they were ready! I can't wait to try them today after an over night soak.

35918500446_3db418cbc9_b.jpg

This was after an hour soak.

35789368252_f1366f98ae_b.jpg

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

AAhh, thanks...will do cukes and onions, my favorite mix!  Awesome!

It's funny because while I was making these my wife asked if I was going to do some cucumbers...instantly I replied, "Ewww...who would pickle cucumbers?!"

DOH!!! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

It's funny because while I was making these my wife asked if I was going to do some cucumbers...instantly I replied, "Ewww...who would pickle cucumbers?!"

DOH!!! 

Just a good red wine vinegar...my grandma did it, and it was cool in the heat of NC summers,....way back then. 

Don't know how the hell to deal with it 40 years later...nevermind, I switched from tennis to climate...!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Just a good red wine vinegar...my grandma did it, and it was cool in the heat of NC summers,....way back then. 

Don't know how the hell to deal with it 40 years later...nevermind, I switched from tennis to climate...!!!!!!!

LoL! The part that didn't dawn on me was that "pickles" ARE cucumbers! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KAOSkins said:

Thai Beef Salad for lunch yesterday. Used a chuck eye so it was pretty cheap.  I like those little steaks, very versatile and tasty. Toasted my own rice for the rice powder.  

What spices are you using?

2 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

First time pickling onions, four flavors: jalepeño, peppercorn, clove, and garlic with red wine vinegar. I thought it would take longer, but within an hour they were ready! I can't wait to try them today after an over night soak.

Ok, after an over night soak not much change. I can definitely increase the amount of spices in them, the vinegar over powers even the jalepeños! 

Edited by AsburySkinsFan
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 9:44 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Thank you! It was REALLY good! My first time butterflying chicken. The rosemary came from my herb garden. Loved the tomatoes and garlic, flavor explosions!!

Looks great!!

That's the only way I'll grill whole chicken. More crisp skin and it cooks a lot faster.

For the life of me, I don't understand why people don't have herb gardens. It's a helluva lot cheaper, and a lot more flavorful than store-bought.

I have a pork butt on the smoker,.put it on at 8:00 am, and its sitting at 191° right now.Gonna pull it soon.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2017 at 9:44 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Thank you! It was REALLY good! My first time butterflying chicken. The rosemary came from my herb garden. Loved the tomatoes and garlic, flavor explosions!!

Looks great!!

That's the only way I'll grill whole chicken. More crisp skin and it cooks a lot faster.

For the life of me, I don't understand why people don't have herb gardens. It's a helluva lot cheaper, and a lot more flavorful than store-bought.

I have a pork butt on the smoker,.put it on at 8:00 am, and its sitting at 191° right now.Gonna pull it soon.

Done!  

Pulled pork, Southern-style green beans and cornbread 

20170716_175751.jpg

20170716_180033.jpg

20170716_180237.jpg

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Good bark, great smoke ring--what did you use? Rubs, woods, what did you smoke on?

I make my own Memphis-style rubs.  They're riffs on Meatheads Memphis Dust and Steve Raichlens Memphis Rub recipe, from my dog-eared copy of his "Barbecue Bible"  I use their base recipes,  and tweak them. They're somewhat similiar, in that they both contain paprika, brown sugar, sugar, garlic powder, chili-powder, and.onion powder.  Meatheads recipe is salt-free and sweeter. I dry brined it, last night with salt, so I used a heavy dose of the Dust, and a lighter sprinkling of Raichlens.

I smoked it on the Weber kettle, with a Slow n Sear which is, hands-down, the best accessory made for Weber kettles.   Used a couple of pecan and sugar maple chunks for the smoke. It took 9 hrs at ~ 240°.

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I make my own Memphis-style rubs.  They're riffs on Meatheads Memphis Dust and Steve Raichlens Memphis Rub recipe, from my dog-eared copy of his "Barbecue Bible"  I use their base recipes,  and tweak them. They're somewhat similiar, in that they both contain paprika, brown sugar, sugar, garlic powder, chili-powder, and.onion powder.  Meatheads recipe is salt-free and sweeter. I dry brine it, last night with salt, so I used a heavy dose of the dust, and a lighter sprinkling of Raichlens.

I smoked it on the Weber kettle, with a Slow n Sear,, https://abcbarbecue.com/ which is, hands-down, the best accessory made for Weber kettles.   Used a couple of pecan and sugar maple chunks for the smoke. It took 9 hrs at ~ 240°.

I'll have to look up those rubs, I have Meathead's book--I met him last year at the DC BBQ Battle. I use Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust or Penzy's BBQ 3000--both are fantastic pre-made rubs, if you need a quick rub #SensualBBQ. I've fallen in love with Pecan wood lately...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'll have to look up those rubs, I have Meathead's book--I met him last year at the DC BBQ Battle. I use Dizzy Pigs Dizzy Dust or Penzy's BBQ 3000--both are fantastic pre-made rubs, if you need a quick rub #SensualBBQ. I've fallen in love with Pecan wood lately...

Meatheads is the Man!  I'm jealous.

I rarely buy pre-made rubs, mainly because I'm a cheap ****. That, and I can make my own kick-ass rubs, for a fraction of the price.

That being said,   I've heard a lot of great things about Dizzy Pig rubs, so I finally broke down and bought the coffee-based Red Eye Express. It's excellent. The only thing I didn't like about it, was the $10.35 price tag!  There's definitely some Dizzy Pig in my future.  I'm also a huge fan of Penzy's spices.  My Mom gifts me Penzy's every year.

I'm on a Pecan kick too. I've been using it a lot lately.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Meatheads is the Man!  I'm jealous.

I rarely buy pre-made rubs, mainly because I'm a cheap ****. That, and I can make my own kick-ass rubs, for a fraction of the price.

That being said,   I've heard a lot of great things about Dizzy Pig rubs, so I finally broke down and bought the coffee-based Red Eye Express. It's excellent. The only thing I didn't like about it, was the $10.35 price tag!  There's definitely some Dizzy Pig in my future.  I'm also a huge fan of Penzy's spices.  My Mom gifts me Penzy's every year.

I'm on a Pecan kick too. I've been using it a lot lately.

Espresso rubs on ribeyes are fantastic. I haven't done it yet--but I may have to get my Primo smoker up to 700 to do some thick steaks with a good espresso rub. The people who run Dizzy Pig are great people too--I got to talk to them for a bit at the BBQ Battle. They turned me onto the ceramic smokers.

I use 1/4 of the amount of Penzy's spices than I do McCormicks or some other large corporate brand. They are fantastic.

• Like 1

So, fired up the Performer this afternoon. Smoked some drums. Salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika rub. Cherry wood for the smoke. Finished with some Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory sauce. While waiting, had a Summer Shandy and 2 Watermelon Shandy. Leinys are soooo good in the heat. 

Sooooo worth a little sweat. 

IMG_1887.JPG

IMG_1889.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

@PleaseBlitzhave you tried putting you corn on the cob straight on the grill in the husks? I turn mine until the husks are almost all black, looks terrible but when you cut them out they're awesome! The moisture in the husks steam the corn. 

I put butter and salt and pepper in the foil, so when it's done it's all buttery and delicious.