Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I don't think anyone under the age of 60 boils hot dogs these days. 

Only time I ever experienced such madness was when my parents were adding them to baked beans. 

I don't mind a crispy dog, but burnt...hell no. You can eat them without cooking them. I just want them crisp and slightly crunchy.  

• Like 1

Hot dogs in the toaster oven.  In fact, I cook most everything in the toaster over. 

I got a new, convection toaster oven, extra large, for when I move to Austin.  I hardly ever use my stove oven except to bake bread.  I'll be able to bake bread in the new oven.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Hot dogs in the toaster oven.  In fact, I cook most everything in the toaster over. 

I got a new, convection toaster oven, extra large, for when I move to Austin.  I hardly ever use my stove oven except to bake bread.  I'll be able to bake bread in the new oven.

Do you just set it and forget it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I cried while reading this. No one should have to eat from a toaster oven. Is there no justice in this world?!?! 

I cooked this again last night, only I traded some ketchup for sriracha to make it a bit more bold. It wasn't hot/spicy but just bolder flavor with the sweetness in the background. I've got another bag of two more pounds still marinating in the fridge.

http://therecipecritic.com/2016/05/grilled-huli-huli-chicken/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Actually not all. The ones that grill them make even more money. 

Either way, you know I was talking about at home. 

Dirty water hot dogs?

Also, im under 60 and generally prefer boiled :)

• Like 1

Blasphemy. 

Dirty water dogs indeed. NY is 2X dirtier than DC. 

Hell, I know you have had fried bologna, just cook your hot dogs the same way if needed. Split the dog, throw it in a pan and heat the daggone thing up. 

Much better than boiled. 

I boil hot dogs at home from time to time.  Are they better on the grill?  Absolutely, but with my propane grill not working (needs new burners), it's a pain in the butt to fire up the charcoal grill just to heat up hot dogs (if that's all we are eating), considering they only need 10 mins or so.  

Brats, that's another story.  I'll pour a bottle/can of beer in a skillet, simmer them on the stove top or I'll toss them on the grill.  

Just now, Kosher Ham said:

Blasphemy. 

Dirty water dogs indeed. NY is 2X dirtier than DC. 

Hell, I know you have had fried bologna, just cook your hot dogs the same way if needed. Split the dog, throw it in a pan and heat the daggone thing up. 

Much better than boiled. 

Reminds me of when I went off to college, my mom got me one of these

170317.jpg

The microwave hot dog "steamer"...........yeah, they still sucked in the microwave just like they did without it

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

On 5/12/2017 at 7:12 AM, AsburySkinsFan said:

I cried while reading this. No one should have to eat from a toaster oven. Is there no justice in this world?!?! 

I'm cooking for one, so the toaster over is perfect for that. Plus I can cook on both sides using the toaster function.  I broil english muffins.  I forgot to change settings when I cooked my steak the other night, broiled steak for sure, on only one side.  Half broiled and half near rare, but it was a good tasting steak!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Sometimes when you go to fire up the chimney smoker for the charcoal grill, you put in the papers underneath and ignite and realize...........you forgot to put the damn charcoal in the chimney.........sometimes :rofl89:

Sometimes...obviously to other people 'cause I have no idea what you're talking about.....:paranoid:

• Like 1

I'm with Kosh, why even go to the time and trouble of boiling water to cook hot dogs when it's not going to be any better than microwaving it?  If you have the time to actually cook it, grill or fry it and get some color and flavor on there.  Or even broil it if you don't want to grill but want a healthier option than frying.  (Although if you want a healthy option, why are you cooking a hot dog?)

All of this said with the understanding that they make chocolate and vanilla for a reason, and anybody has the right to enjoy their food however they like it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Your parents probably had you eat well done steaks also. That's just mean. 

Oh, and I prefer a microwave hot dog over a boiled one. 

Not my old man, he still eats his hamburgers rare - medium rare.  Never gotten sick.  Steaks, I like mine medium.  

Thats is what I grilled up tonight.  Ribeye, salad and baked potatoes.  Tossed a pack of brats on there for tomorrow.  Just put the pinto beans with bacon and seasonings in the crockpot.  So it's brats, beans and jalapeño cornbread for lunch tomorrow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I'm cooking for one, so the toaster over is perfect for that. Plus I can cook on both sides using the toaster function.  I broil english muffins.  I forgot to change settings when I cooked my steak the other night, broiled steak for sure, on only one side.  Half broiled and half near rare, but it was a good tasting steak!

Shoot, even cooking for 2 can be done in the toaster oven.  Once the weather starts heating up (like now), I only use the real oven if absolutely necessary, a/c runs non-stop if the oven is on...I try to only use the stove top, toaster oven, and Foreman.

• Like 1