Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

I gave my son my Genesis 2000 a few years back (it's has to be 30+ years old) . We were at his house last weekend & I noticed it was looking a little ragged. I'm going to get new flavorizer bars & also want to get him Grillgrates for this. Do you use the Grillgrates instead of the Weber grates or on top of the Weber grates? 

Replaced the OEM grates and tossed 'em

Here's my setup. The griddle side really comes in handy.

I have them on a couple of my kettles too. One is custom sized to fit over a Slow n Sear, and the other covers most of the grilling surface.  As far as the kettles go, the Grillgrates sit on top of the Weber grates.

20220525_150638.jpg

20220525_150626.jpg

7 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I gotta say I hated the grill grates. the Weber cast iron are far superior. 

I do use the grill grates park my wife’s electric bike on the gravel driveway so the pegs don’t dig in. 

I love 'em, and  bought a set, (cheap), from someone who didn't like them either.

They do take a little getting used to, temp wise. I like them on the gasser because they burn hotter than the CI and the porcelain grates, which is a plus on older gas grills.

Most folks who don't care for them,  (based on comments from one of my BBQ sites)  didn't properly season them.

• Like 1

Made some portobello pizzas on the Kamado with some left over charcoal. My wife and I loved them. Had a smoked flavor that made them stand out.

Next up I’m going to try to cook some chicken with my sous vide, and then finish them on the soapstone I just received for the Kamado. Going to try some veggies as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.75a0bef2cef59680fac959ebe5aa16e1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.96307329cdfd46a180111c618316dcd4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.68feedbad0ac156ea5358c2b61d49e70.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, CobraCommander said:

I gotta say I hated the grill grates. the Weber cast iron are far superior. 

I do use the grill grates park my wife’s electric bike on the gravel driveway so the pegs don’t dig in. 

Blasphemy.

My Weber came with cast iron grates and they don't produce even remotely close to the sear/grill marks that I get from the GrillGrates.  What is it you don't like about them?

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Blasphemy.

My Weber came with cast iron grates and they don't produce even remotely close to the sear/grill marks that I get from the GrillGrates.  What is it you don't like about them?

Everything. I hate the way they look. I hate how thin the grate surface is. I hate that the drippings don’t hit the flavorizer bar and make little grease flare ups that give the meat flavor. I might as well be using a foreman grill. I honestly don’t even like the gas grill and rather use the charcoal.

Basically I don’t like them because they defeat the design of the grill itself and turn it into an oven. 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Everything. I hate the way they look. I hate how thin the grate surface is. I hate that the drippings don’t hit the flavorizer bar and make little grease flare ups that give the meat flavor. I might as well be using a foreman grill. I honestly don’t even like the gas grill and rather use the charcoal.

Basically I don’t like them because they defeat the design of the grill itself and turn it into an oven. 

Weber kettles,(like most gas grills), are designed to work like ovens 😉     They work really great at grilling too...

You like what you like...nothing wrong with that...the important thing is that you're happy with the results.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

32 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Weber kettles,(like most gas grills), are designed to work like ovens 😉     They work really great at grilling too...

You like what you like...nothing wrong with that...the important thing is that you're happy with the results.

I am happy with the results yes. 

I have found I can get a hot enough fire with my kettle to not need to keep shutting the lid like with my gas weber "oven" which I need to work fast and keep the lid closed. But If I really crank it and let it get nice and hot I can get good marks with the weber cast iron grates but I gotta work fast.

• Like 1

I use a Weber kettle charcoal grill and it gets hot AF.  Easily 400-450 at the grates without using a full chimney of charcoal.  I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but I am used to it now.  I almost always make a two zone fire so the coals are piled kind of thick on the hot side, so maybe that's it.  Also, I almost always do direct heat cooking on it.  It will burn the food to a crisp if I'm not attentive, and leaves nice charred marks on most food.

It stays 350+ degrees for hours after I am done and put the lid on with the vents open.  Maybe I'm wasting charcoal but the grill is remarkably consistent and hot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I use a Weber kettle charcoal grill and it gets hot AF.  Easily 400-450 at the grates without using a full chimney of charcoal.  I don't know if I'm doing it wrong but I am used to it now.  I almost always make a two zone fire so the coals are piled kind of thick on the hot side, so maybe that's it.  Also, I almost always do direct heat cooking on it.  It will burn the food to a crisp if I'm not attentive, and leaves nice charred marks on most food.

It stays 350+ degrees for hours after I am done and put the lid on with the vents open.  Maybe I'm wasting charcoal but the grill is remarkably consistent and hot.

Nice!

I own several,  and use them all the time. 

You can reuse charcoal,

as long as you're kettle is not overly leaky.  

Shut down all the vents when you're done.  If there's not enough left for whatever your cooking,  pour some fresh briquettes into a chimney starter,  then a pile the leftover charcoal on top of that.   It's perfect for those short cooks and saves money, which is appealing to a cheap **** like me😉   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Tossing this here in case anybody is interested. I bought their 'visual imperfection' 8" bread knife earlier this year and my blind old ass couldn't see anything wrong with it. At $30 it's a good deal. 

https://www.zwilling.com/us/memorial-day-sale/

I have my mom's bread knife and after all these years it's dull. I bought a stainless steel bread knife that works perfectly. I forgot what I paid for it, I'm a bargain shopper!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I have my mom's bread knife and after all these years it's dull. I bought a stainless steel bread knife that works perfectly. I forgot what I paid for it, I'm a bargain shopper!

We have a Cozzini guy that sharpens our knives at work and we also have an electric sharpener...I took my knives from home in & did them myself.  If they cut meat at your daughter's co-op, they might be able to sharpen yours! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

We have a Cozzini guy that sharpens our knives at work and we also have an electric sharpener...I took my knives from home in & did them myself.  If they cut meat at your daughter's co-op, they might be able to sharpen yours! 

Great idea! I think this blade is carbon steel with a wavy edge.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TK said:

Curious to know if anyone here has tried a cherry cola bbq rub before? 

https://fireandsmokesociety.com/collections/spices-rubs/products/cherry-cola?variant=41483545313460

Fire & Smoke Society just started to be carried at Krogers here. Their Potato Slayer seasoning is the best thing that ever happened to a baked potato. It'll change your life. :) 

I make most of my own rubs, because I'm cheap and most commercial rubs are loaded with salt.

That being said.....I can see that the Potato Slayer seasoning is in my future...

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

I haven't used a rub like that, but I have made a BBQ sauce with cherry cola in it and it was good.

Dr Pepper is good in BBQ sauce too.   

• Like 1

Been working the smoker overtime this weekend.  Hot & Fast brisket.  10 1/2 lb prime packer, after trimming.

7 hrs from start to finish. This is the 2nd H&F brisket that I've done and it's made a believer out of Mrs. Skinsfan & me.

Mrs. Skinsfan made the corn. It's one of Ina Garten's recipes.

20220529_083606.jpg

20220529_144703.jpg

20220529_171132.jpg

20220529_171356.jpg

20220529_171404.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1