Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

4 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I'm single and dead tired when I get home, so my cooking routine is pretty simple. I plan my meals out on Sunday and season and marinade everything as needed. I also rely on steammable veggie bags, good, but simple.

I'm living single.  The Viola bag meals are good.  I usually keep a few.  I spice them up with bacon and stuff sometimes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm living single.  The Viola bag meals are good.  I usually keep a few.  I spice them up with bacon and stuff sometimes.

Never heard of that, like I said, what I cook is simple and taste good. However, I can get old eating, chicken/pork chops/steak/fish every week. I'll check out the viola bags.

Just now, Simmsy said:

Never heard of that, like I said, what I cook is simple and taste good. However, I can get old eating, chicken/pork chops/steak/fish every week. I'll check out the viola bags.

Viola is just one brand.  But there are a whole bunch.  Very easy to make.  Usually put in a pan for 10 minutes over heat stirring occasionally.  Just look in the frozen section.  Birds Eye (or something close to that) makes the Viola ones.  Bertolli ones are pretty legit also.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Viola is just one brand.  But there are a whole bunch.  Very easy to make.  Usually put in a pan for 10 minutes over heat stirring occasionally.  Just look in the frozen section.  Birds Eye (or something close to that) makes the Viola ones.  Bertolli ones are pretty legit also.

Cool, I'll give it a shot. On a different note, if you like marinades, I surprisingly recommend wal-mart, they have a lot of good priced choices.

• Like 1

Dinner was slightly revised. Instead of splitting the hen, and browned all over, then placed in a pot with chicken stock, onions, and potatoes and slow cooked about  1.5 hours. Turned out great. 

Have to find a clay brick that I can cover with foil for press cooking. They had concrete bricks at Home Depot but those can't be used for cooking. They must have clay bricks in TX somewhere.

21 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

They must have clay bricks in TX somewhere.

plenty in east and south texas :ols:, I think they favor river rock and field stone around Austin.

a good river rock will work.

• Like 1

I came in here to post something and found this lingering from New Years. I guess I never posted it. It was good:

My dad always did the boil-some-black eyed peas in a pot with a dime thing, so I've always tried to do that to carry on that tradition. I never really liked them that much. Today I pan fried some instead. Just a can of BEP, 4 cloves garlic, 1/2 a red onion, and a red bell pepper diced. 2 Tbsp olive oil, sauteed the garlic for a couple minutes on med, added 2 tsp paprika for another couple minutes. Added peppers, onions, and BEP, and cooked for about 5 minutes more. Pretty tasty. Kind of like refried beans. I feel like it would go well with tzatziki sauce and maybe some gingery chicken, on some mutant burrito or pita kind of thing.

...and what I was going to post, just now:

I just thin sliced a bunch of potatoes and pan fried them in a pan full of hot vegetable oil. We did this all the time when I was a kid, and I just hadn't really thought to try it for again for a long time now. I guess just from trying to be health-conscious for so long. So easy, and good. I miss cooking and eating completely unhealthy, 70's style.  

Edited by SoulSkin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alright, so I just signed up for Butcher Box.  I'm not sure if you guys have seen it or used it but if you have, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.  www.butcherbox.com

I signed up for the curated box for 129 bucks which, according to them, means it's about 5.50 per meal (24 meals, but I'm a big guy and I like to eat so we'll see what it really comes out to).  They pick the meats you get, steaks, ground beef, pork, chicken, who knows.  You can also customize a box and pick what you want, but that's more expensive.  Of course it's all grass-fed meat, etc, which I've never really been able to taste enough of a difference in to make me buy it over regular meat but it does seem like a good deal, it gets delivered to your door frozen.  

I've seen it for years, was always curious about it but never tried it.  But the thing that made me try it is that they're throwing in 3 pounds of wings for free every month as long as you're a member.  So in addition to all the meat they send, I'm getting 3 pounds of wings which are my absolute favorite so I'm gonna give it a shot.  I figure 5.50 per meal is a good rate plus 3 more pounds of meat.

I also figure this will get me to learn how to cook more, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I also figure this will get me to learn how to cook more, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Please do.  I was listening to Cowherd yesterday and he was plugging it.  Sounded like a pretty good deal.  

My brother just loaded me up with some ground venison. but that's gonna go fast.  I have to eat grass fed because of my diet, so I've always got my ears open.

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Please do.  I was listening to Cowherd yesterday and he was plugging it.  Sounded like a pretty good deal.  

My brother just loaded me up with some ground venison. but that's gonna go fast.  I have to eat grass fed because of my diet, so I've always got my ears open.

Will do.  Joe Rogan has been plugging it a lot lately, too.

My goal for next winter is to go hunting and source my own meat.  Pretty sure I don't have the freezer space though.  

• Thanks 1