Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

I think its a bit more nuanced than that.  The very best steaks are corn fed, I think.  Average grass fed steaks are better than mediocre corn-fed supermarket steaks.  Both can be excellent, but the very top of the pyramid is a perfect prime corn-fed steak.  

• Like 1

Salmon.

It's what's for dinner.

20190614_174122.jpg

On 6/12/2019 at 3:13 PM, bcl05 said:

I think its a bit more nuanced than that.  The very best steaks are corn fed, I think.  Average grass fed steaks are better than mediocre corn-fed supermarket steaks.  Both can be excellent, but the very top of the pyramid is a perfect prime corn-fed steak.  

Saw these today at Costco, for $12.99lb. Freezer is near full, and we don't eat steak that often anymore, so I didn't pull the trigger..

20190614_112715.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Weber Gas Grill (Spirit II) on Memorial Day. I have been grilling my entire adult life on CharBroil and other community grills which were not Weber.

First time doing chicken on the Weber.
Previously required a wet brine for 2 hours on "other grills". Only had 15 min to let chicken breast marinate in olive oil, paprika, garlic, cumin mix. Cooked it and it was perfect. With the Weber it wasn't burned on the outside, pink in the middle!

Cooked burgers... same thing.

I think Weber uses lower total BTU.... this allows more consistent cooking.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

One of my top 5 days of the year is Saturday after my wife and daughters bday (July 8 and 10 respectively).  We have an offsite party for my daughter where we invite our crew and their kids plus the kids and parents from my daughters daycare. 

We invite our friends (but not daycare pol) back to our house for the “afterparty.”  I bought enough beer that I used a blow up kiddy pool as a cooler. 

I also cook enough  BBQ to feed an army. 

47C97095-7D50-417D-92E6-CC26BC4539AA.jpeg

F34746BC-BB26-4360-B456-87212379A375.jpeg

74EE90C8-70FC-46F3-8CA7-AC475A89B695.jpeg

CB1384F6-1E9A-40A0-9FD5-BB67ECA91F3E.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/29/2019 at 2:44 AM, Fergasun said:

Bought a Weber Gas Grill (Spirit II) on Memorial Day. I have been grilling my entire adult life on CharBroil and other community grills which were not Weber.

First time doing chicken on the Weber.
Previously required a wet brine for 2 hours on "other grills". Only had 15 min to let chicken breast marinate in olive oil, paprika, garlic, cumin mix. Cooked it and it was perfect. With the Weber it wasn't burned on the outside, pink in the middle!

Cooked burgers... same thing.

I think Weber uses lower total BTU.... this allows more consistent cooking.

It's not that the BTU's are necessarily lower,  it's that they heat more evenly, and the flame controls are superior.  Good call, buying a Weber grill.

I love 'em!

I own 5 kettles and two gassers.

It's an obsession.

FB_IMG_1525976937806.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311

56 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Acorn yes.  It was a housewarming present, so I don't know where from.  

What are your thoughts on it? I've been REALLY tempted to pick one up.

I want to use it for low-n-slow smoking because the Weber kettle is just painful to keep a balanced temp, but I've heard the kamado style grills are a pain if they over heat because they take forever to cool.

9 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I want to use it for low-n-slow smoking because the Weber kettle is just painful to keep a balanced temp, but I've heard the kamado style grills are a pain if they over heat because they take forever to cool.

It is a kamado-style smoker, like a green egg (but cheaper).  It does take forever to cool if you overshoot, but I cheat and use some technology to regulate the temperature.  Overall I really like it, it gets the job done, holds a lot of food, and will stay at one temperature for hours if you add enough charcoal and wood at the beginning (I've done overnight 20+ hour cooks).  

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It is a kamado-style smoker, like a green egg (but cheaper).  It does take forever to cool if you overshoot, but I cheat and use some technology to regulate the temperature.  Overall I really like it, it gets the job done, holds a lot of food, and will stay at one temperature for hours if you add enough charcoal and wood at the beginning (I've done overnight 20+ hour cooks).  

What's the tech you're using to regulate?

15 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

What's the tech you're using to regulate?

It is a handheld device that has an input for a temperature probe to put inside the smoker and to a fan that you connect to the air intake at the bottom of the smoker.  The device senses the temperature and blows in enough air to keep it at the temperature you set.  

52 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It is a handheld device that has an input for a temperature probe to put inside the smoker and to a fan that you connect to the air intake at the bottom of the smoker.  The device senses the temperature and blows in enough air to keep it at the temperature you set.  

link?

3 hours ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

No need to spend a lot of money.

Get yourself a "Slow n Sear" and you won't have any problems holding temps with your kettle.  I easily get 10+ hrs out of mine and the temps hold steady.  The rack of ribs that I smoked, (pic a few posts above), took 5 hrs at ~ 235°. The SnS held that temp, easily.

https://abcbarbecue.com/product/slow-n-sear-2-0/ 

• Thanks 1