Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

5 hours ago, twa said:

Ham,  blackeyed peas, cornbread,cabbage steaks ,  maybe tater salad

BBQ or Chili (no beans) is always acceptable, as are tamales

I’m not from TX but I am evangelical about no beans in chili. No tomatoes either!

Cheap beef (cubed), onion, ancho, cumin, guajillo pulp, other hot peppers (my secret - favorite is Carolina Reaper), at least two cans of Guinness (in the pot) and a long afternoon = real chili. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Someone (not me!) got my wife an Instant Pot for Christmas. Any favorite things to make in it or is this thing going to be some junk that lives under my cabinet for all time?

I've made most of these:  https://www.seriouseats.com/roundups/pressure-cooker-recipes  

and they're all great. 

The green chiles (the chicken or pork ones, towards the bottom) are both in heavy rotation in our household.

It works well.  I thought it was a gimmick too, at first, but its pretty useful.  

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Which countertop oven do you have? I saw the Brava commercial..

This Oster model, which I really like. I use it almost every day for something. Have used all the functions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OXSR486/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can fit my USA baking pan 13" x9" in there easily. This pan doesn't have any handles on it.

Edited to add: I haven't used my apartment oven in the stove at all. It's my pan storage area. I use the Oster exclusively.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Thanks 1

On 1/2/2019 at 8:08 PM, Spaceman Spiff said:

Woooo got an Air Fryer for Christmas!  Anyone use them?

I got one for Christmas too and I love it!

I've fried crabcakes, tots, string bean fries and parmesan potatoes. I'm going to try Brussels sprouts this weekend.

The brand I got is Chefman.  

27 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I got one for Christmas too and I love it!

I've fried crabcakes, tots, string bean fries and parmesan potatoes. I'm going to try Brussels sprouts this weekend.

The brand I got is Chefman.  

I've been making buffalo wings all week.  Eating wings every day is finally a dream come true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Get an air fryer.  And live close to a costco.  

You buy wings at Costco? 

They're more like pigeon wings. Maybe your warehouse gets them from a different source?

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

How'd the crabcakes turn out?

Perfect.  Nicely browned on the outside.

Sooo...for months I've been craving a decent BLTOC ( the classic with onions and cheese ). And I also know that Waffle House is probably the only place to get one, so that's what I shopped for yesterday, 

Gonna put em with chili ( I haven't made a batch lately, so I'm gonna spice up a can--WITH BEANS). 👍

Tomorrow is cornish game hen dinner. Right now it's in the refrigerator finishing the thawing that started yesterday. I have some oil, lemon, and Greek herbs marinate on it. Before cooking, I will split it in the middle, brown the skin side in a pan, then add some potatoes and other things to it, maybe some wine.

• Like 2