Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Looks delicious! 

Made some potato soup yesterday. With Penna Dutch rivvles, which are unformed egg noodles. Turned out great! Cooking much more, can make as many servings that my mom did and then freeze. Buy most things when I get my monthly check, then staples throughout the month like milk and eggs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Looks delicious! 

Made some potato soup yesterday. With Penna Dutch rivvles, which are unformed egg noodles. Turned out great! Cooking much more, can make as many servings that my mom did and then freeze. Buy most things when I get my monthly check, then staples throughout the month like milk and eggs.

That's why I love the pasta, it's 2 cups flour, 2 eggs, 2 egg yolks makes enough pasta for five people. Sauce is pretty cheap and meat is choice so totally budget friendly.

• Like 1

Rivvles are made from one egg beaten, then add salt, pepper, and flour. The amount of flour is enough to soak up the egg. It's a learned art to making these things. Then drop into the potato soup that has enough milk because the rivvles will thicken the soup. You drop in pieces of rivvle dough, not too small but not too big. Cook until the rivvles are soft but still have some form. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Rivvles are made from one egg beaten, then add salt, pepper, and flour. The amount of flour is enough to soak up the egg. It's a learned art to making these things. Then drop into the potato soup that has enough milk because the rivvles will thicken the soup. You drop in pieces of rivvle dough, not too small but not too big. Cook until the rivvles are soft but still have some form. 

Ok, I've NEVER heard of rivvles before and I only found one site on the entire internet with a recipe for them. They sound like large couscous. Got any photos? Are they called anything else?

https://www.familycookbookproject.com/recipe/3396235/rivvles.html

• Like 1

All I know from my mom is that they are unformed and not looking like couscous. Never heard her call them anything else. 

I once thought she said riffles, so that might be another name for them.

A bigger version is spaetzle, they are bigger and and more like thin dumplings. There's a Bosnian restaurant the Cosmopolitan Grill on Rt. 1 south in Alexandria that has all types of central European food that's really good. It was near my old house and I ate there regularly. Good reviews on Yelp. Look it up if you want a great dining experience! Heard they opened a second location in Old Town.

Edited by LadySkinsFan

Just got an air fryer so taking a first stab at some dry rubbed wings

used (cayenne 1/2 tsp, ground mustard 1/2, ground cumin 1/2, salt 1/2, black pepper 1, garlic powder 1, smoked paprika 1, oregano 1, Montreal chicken 1, lemon juice)

started at 375 for first 15, brushed with melted butter and finished at 400 for 10

58E669E0-0966-4CCB-AC2F-3A81E006120B.jpeg

• Like 3

Made pasta primavera tonight from a recipe from a former co-worker from Italy.  Essentially pasta with onion, garlic, carrots, peas, asparagus, zucchini, mushrooms, ham and parmesan cheese in a cream sauce.  I substituted broccoli for the zucchini.  Molto delizioso!

• Like 3

On 2/26/2019 at 9:19 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

I've experiemented with my airfryer just haven't been really happy with the results of it though. It's basically just a mini-convection oven and it cooks so little at a time that cooking for a family is out of the question.

We love ours, but we don't do anything batter fried.  We stick to stuff like tots, potatoes, pork chops, Brussels sprouts,.etc.  It's fantastic for crab cakes.   

You are correct,  it's just a tiny convection oven. We were initially underwhelmed,  until we understood its limitations.

We rarely eat fried foods but, when we do, we use a Dutch oven on the stovetop. There's no substitute for deep frying in oil. 

Tomahawk Pork Chops.

Did these on "Old Faithful"

Reverse seared.

20190302_173043.jpg

20190302_180814.jpg

20190302_184242.jpg

20190302_184846.jpg

20190302_180735.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ok, recipe and directions please.

The key is in prepping everything in advance.

In the 3 bowls are (1) cut up chicken & chorizo, (2) a bag of frozen peas, a bag of frozen green beans, and cut up orange and yellow peppers, and (3) 3 cups arroz calasperra, rosemary, salt and saffron.  The can of tomatoes is drained and the liquid replaced with white wine.  The garlic is soaking in olive oil.  The shrimp is peeled and veined.  Not pictured:  2 quarts of chicken stock plus 2 cups of white wine, heated not quite to a boil.

Start a big ass fire.  Put your paella (the pan) on it.  Let it get hot.

Dump in the garlicy oil, make sure the whole pan gets coated.  

Dump in the chicken and chorizo, let them cook through.  Move them to the outside of the pan.

Dump in the veggies in the middle, let them cook through. Move them to the outside of the pan.

Dump in the tomatoes and wine, let it cook until the liquid evaporates.

Pour in the rice, evenly, on top of everything.  Stir it all up.  Once it is stirred, DO NOT stir it again.

Pour in 1/3 of the chicken stock.  Let it soak up for about 8 minutes.  

Add the shrimp on top.

Season to taste.  Squeeze the lemon on top.  Serve. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 3