Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN980: Could Jay Really Be One-and-Done?

BRAVEONAWARPATH

The poor Jay, we have a bad offensive line drill, now while I agree with that not so sure Jay does.  On two different segments on 980, yesterday he said if you go through the tape Chris Chester has had a good year, about 2 weeks ago he said the same for Lauvao.  Kory is considered is good, so is Trent.  So in Jay's world perhaps they are only missing a RT (although Cooley think's Compton is good)

I don't think Jay thought they had a bad defense considering in the summer he talked about how the defense might carry the team.  And despite some people preferring to think otherwise, all the indications were he was excited about his buddy, Haslett running it.  And for those who wanted Allen gone from the position of GM (count me among them) I think Jay sticking around increases not decreases Allen's chances of staying.  Jay was Allen's hire.  The Allen family and Gruden family are friends.    Jay is going to push to can his family friend who gave him a job?  In multiple segments including yesterday Jay said there is plenty-enough talent on this roster.  So either he's delusional or backing Bruce.

I don't know if I want Jay canned in year 1 and no I don't like Dan and Bruce.  But the idea to me that Jay is a good coach and just some innocent dupe in Dan's scheme seems absurd. With Dan secretly sabotaging the team behind Jay's back -- i.e, its Dan's fault the team's running game has fallen off a cliff and Jay is making inflammatory comments to the press, etc -- I just don't buy. 

The idea of Jay being a problem and Dan and Bruce too can be IMO mutually exclusive issues.   Yeah am sure there is overlap but yeah you can have three bad apples in a barrel. And Jay flaming out doesn't vindicate Bruce and Dan, it makes them look even worse.

There hasn't been much in the short Gruden regime that's been all that impressive.  Other than his candidness in the press conferences.  There hasn't been a whole lot where you look and say, "I like what's going on with that." 

And his evaluation of QBs has been suspect, at best.  He thought he could take Griffin to the next level and halfway through the season, he's given up.  He thought highly of Cousins and he's 3rd on the depth chart now, now he's on McCoy and that's a dead end street.  Personally, the next time he believes in a guy, I can't help but give him the sideye.  Frankly, I think his QB development prowess has been a little overrated.  He probably gets too much credit for working with Andy Dalton.  I mean, what did he really do?  He's a slightly above average pro QB, nothing more.  Huzzah.

What I will say is, and I'll give him his due on this, he can scheme guys open, like Kyle did.  If he could find a triggerman that was capable of making the plays that were in front of him and/or didn't throw up on himself, maybe all this is different.

Actually you can't argue it...this cracks me up, what does he have? Nothing! No QB to speak of, no offensive line, and no D-coordinator...and he has to fight with Danny over benching RG3, who has proven to be an absolute disaster in the pocket!!!

And correct me if I am wrong on this; didn't those other coaches have the opportunity to coach in all 16 games their first year? Yea...don't want to confuse you with reality...and correct me once again; didn't Gruden take over a 3-13 team? Yeaaaaa, and he has 3 games to top that! So before you start pointing to stats, you may want to fairly base them on a full season...suuuuuure> RG3 looks so much worse than last season!

Yup, players have nothing to do with a coaches success...keep listening to the Danny defense team news outlets,,, you can let everyone know how badly we need to draft another backup with our 1st pick... :rolleyes:

Danny brings in the players, then washes his hands of his absolute disastrous eye for talent evaluation, on 1 coach after another's .. inability to coach!

As if any of the coaches I named didn't look like fish out of water regardless of a win or 2 difference! And 2 of them have 5 super bowl wins between them! Something other than coaching is the problem here>>>>/////

Worst 1st year coach? That's like coming in 5th against 4 other runners in a long distance marathon for fat guy's!

Wait, so it's true that this is the worst first year a coach had had here, but I can't argue it because he has a million excuses ranging from Danny to the players to swamp gas reflecting the moon? You as much admit it's the worst first year a coach has had here but start by saying I can't argue that. The logic is impeccable. Newsflash, every coach here has had to deal with Danny and a below average roster.

I could care less about the standings as much as the results on the field. We were a 3-13 team last year and we actually look WORSE than we did then. Last year's team would blow out this year's team. We have 3 wins, two of those wins are against the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in the league. We've had an incredibly easy schedule and yet we look awful out there.

We look worse than last year. Hell, we look worse than the start of the season. Where do you get the misguided notion that Gruden can actually IMPROVE the team? I want to know where this childlike faith comes from, because it's certainly not from anything he's actually done here.

Its time for the Jay Gruden circus to end. Put him out of his misery, He has proven he does not have what it take to be a HC for this team, especially with all the extras that come with this team. He has cracked under pressure, shown the inability to handle the local press and has not delivered on what he was supposed to do...make the QBs better...he made them worse.

He is a one-tick pony, a one-style (my-style) offense. He is either unwilling or unable to adapt to the players strengths and incorporate an offense to maximize those strengths. Time to let him go and move on to the next sacrificial lamb.

It took Gruden 3 preseason games and 4 regular season games to realize RG3 was a 'disaster'

If a true 'disaster' at pocket passing, don't you think the guru woulda known sooner.

Inept either way. And his public decrying of his starting QB may never be matched again.

At least the guy in Chicago had the sense to do it anyonmously.

Moron...

The Redskins have the honor of all time worst moves. Gruden can take the honor of all time head coach throwing player under bus. And, IT WILL NEVER BE MATCHED AGAIN IN PRO SPORTS.

We look worse than last year. Hell, we look worse than the start of the season. Where do you get the misguided notion that Gruden can actually IMPROVE the team? I want to know where this childlike faith comes from, because it's certainly not from anything he's actually done here.

Last year wasn't a great one for RG3 but people forget he had some good games -- granted this year Jay is treating and talking about his 2 bad games as if RG3 played the full season but running with that point, RG3 is worse under Jay.

The running game looked much better in 2013.  And heck as for the defense at least in 2013 they had the excuse of going up against some of the better Qbs in the league.  This year, with the exception of Luck and the usual NFC east Qbs -- they have faced journeymen and scrub QBs who have lit them up game after game. 

I don't pretend to be well versed in the nuances of NFL coaching personnel.

On the other hand, I don't see how the guy who is presiding over the current dumpster fire can be allowed to continue in his present job.

(Looking at you too, Bruce Allen...)

Snyder has given me no reason to be optimistic that his next move will be any better, but sometimes people just have to get canned.

GP, doncha know...

Worst mistake not having a QB coach who can spend the time to coach up our QBs instead we have a Headcoach/Offensive cord part timing as a QB coach and burning every relationship bridge with those players due to his inability to keep his mouth shut to the media.

The mark of a pathetic franchise and an eternal optimist.

I'm actually hoping management told Jay he's gone and he has to start Colt because they don't want Kirk or RGIII to get killed behind our horrible o-line

Kirk got sacked at roughly the same rate as Tom Brady while being 6th in the NFL in yards per game.  It's remarkable how much better the o-line gets when they don't have to hold blocks for 8 seconds.

Kirk got sacked at roughly the same rate as Tom Brady while being 6th in the NFL in yards per game.  It's remarkable how much better the o-line gets when they don't have to hold blocks for 8 seconds.

I'll preface by saying I do think Kirk deserves a larger sample size.  But I gather based on what am reading while Jay hates it when his Qb gets sacked.   Mccoy has been sacked 11 times in the last 2 games.   Apparently, he hates it even more when his Qbs throws interceptions and melts down in the 4th quarter and or when the game is on the line.   Hopefully, Kirk can overcome it.

Gruden has failed in pretty much all of the things you look at when grading a head coach.  Sure he inherited a crap show but he appears to have made the situation worse and simply seems overwhelmed. 

The only viable argument going for him is, who would be dumb enough to take the job. 

That's not much to hang your hat on. 

I'll preface by saying I do think Kirk deserves a larger sample size.  But I gather based on what am reading while Jay hates it when his Qb gets sacked.   Mccoy has been sacked 11 times in the last 2 games.   Apparently, he hates it even more when his Qbs throws interceptions and melts down in the 4th quarter and or when the game is on the line.   Hopefully, Kirk can overcome it.

Keeping the game within striking distance in the 4th or being in a position to have a game be on the line in the first place would be wonderful right now. 

Worst mistake not having a QB coach who can spend the time to coach up our QBs instead we have a Headcoach/Offensive cord part timing as a QB coach and burning every relationship bridge with those players due to his inability to keep his mouth shut to the media.

This really makes me wonder. How can Jay HC and expect full QB tutelage without QBs coach.

Any good manager, person in leadership role has to know the power of relying on others to accomplish objectives.

How did this franchise allow no QBs coach? Are we the only team in the league without QBs coach?

Now, with Robert 2nd string, who is really coaching him up during week? I can't imagine Jay can gameplan, prepare Colt and take the time to coach up RG.

Sad...

Allen needs to meet with Snyder to avoid making the same mistake Dan seems to make whenever his Head-coach is under assault by the media, the fans, and and the poor results being generated by the team and coaching staff. Instead of staying silent, Snyder needs to publicly back his Head-coach, re-confirm his confidence in Gruden, and confirm the authority Gruden has and will continue to have.

Right now, everyone is second-guessing Gruden, and acting like wannabe coaches, GMs, and even ...wannabe owners. Everyone is entitled to their blah-blah -- although I'd hope the media might research more responsibly before over-reacting publicizing the latest tweet or dry snitch over all the national airwaves as gospel. I guess that a lot to ask since the Redskins are the whipping boy for every media shock-jockey, and TMZ spin-meister with an axe to grind or click-count to reach.

As for us fans, well, everyone has an opinion, right? Sure! But maybe we should not allow ourselves to get completely sucked into the latest media-created tizzy, at least to the point we start claiming it's "doomsday, yet again." Realize that this team was not as good as you were hyped into believing before pre-season. Understand that each time you blow up a team, it's going to take time to reassemble the right pieces. Realize that maybe the Skins problems on talent acquisition go much deeper than Allen or Gruden - and this was a problem during the Norv era too. And don't allow yourself to aid and abet some of these shoddy media rumors; instead demand a higher standard of proof and background on the source, before you react.

The worst part is that some players are starting to believe this rumors -- including the one that Gruden could be a one season coach ... and maybe some believe their roles might be improved under another coach. Maybe some are believing that since Gruden is probably a lame-duck, his threats about evaluating which Skins players he keeps is a hollow threat, and they don't have to go at 110% to prove they belong. And some might feel if they just 'mail it in' for the rest of this season, they'll avoid injury, that Gruden & Co. will be gone and they'll get a fresh chance under a new HC. And worst of all, maybe a small few figure that a poor team effort over these last few games might allow them to get rid of a coach they don't like, or don't agree with.

My main point is that Allen needs to convince Snyder not to repeat his behavior of the past, and to issue a statement of support for Gruden in as firm a manner as Dan was in defending the team name. Snyder needs to state clearly, and in a way that cannot be twisted by the media, his TOTAL support for Gruden being here this year, .... and the next two years as well. He should also confirm -- that as Head-Coach, Gruden has the authority to determine who starts, who is on the team, what the plays will be and how they are run, and that Jay will continue to have a big role in advising the front office regarding talent acquisition. As regards Gruden's coaching staff, Snyder should make it clear that the front office will work with Gruden to help him get the assistants he wants, but that it is Gruden's call on who he wants coaching alongside him.

Snyder hired a well-regarded candidate for the Skins head-coach, and asked him to rebuild --under the worst kind of kind of media glare -- a fractured team with diva stars, dry-snitchers, and questionable talent and coaching. And Gruden has gone about this challenge in a candid and practical manner, doing the things he thinks will give this team a better chance to win now ...and in the future. Gruden is going to undertake this task his way, as his own man, and making the tough calls needed -- including benching players who aren't there yet, or letting non-performing players (like Rambo) go. I suspect Gruden has been evaluating the whole time, and will be conducting a major overhaul of his roster and staff, guided by what he saw from them during the chances they had in the 2014 season.

Snyder made a 5-year commitment to Gruden to undertake this rebuild of a fractured Shanahan-designed team. He needs to PUBLICLY STATE that he's given Gruden AT LEAST three years to show the this team has been turned around and in going the right direction.

This really makes me wonder. How can Jay HC and expect full QB tutelage without QBs coach.

Any good manager, person in leadership role has to know the power of relying on others to accomplish objectives.

How did this franchise allow no QBs coach? Are we the only team in the league without QBs coach?

Now, with Robert 2nd string, who is really coaching him up during week? I can't imagine Jay can gameplan, prepare Colt and take the time to coach up RG.

Sad...

Brady doesn't have a QC, but his OC is his former QC.  Well, that and he doesn't need a lot of remedial training. P. Manning has a QC coach, so does Rothlesburger, romoSUCKS, Rivers, E. Manning.  Pretty much every top QB except Brees has a QB coach.

I get the feeling that a lot of people here think that the QB coach just works on fundamentals during the week and gives out "way to go"s during the game.  The QCs also are paying attention game situations and communicating between the QB and the other coaches.  You see other QBs immediately sit down with their QC when they come off the field, especially when things are going wrong.  RG3 sits down with Colt or his iPad Surface.

As for us fans, well, everyone has an opinion, right? Sure! But maybe we should not allow ourselves to get completely sucked into the latest media-created tizzy, at least to the point we start claiming it's "doomsday, yet again." Realize that this team was not as good as you were hyped into believing before pre-season. Understand that each time you blow up a team, it's going to take time to reassemble the right pieces.

My general response to your whole post could be stated by a simple:  HUH?????

Am I the only one who year after year doesn't buy into the hype?  I don't think so.  And who blew up this team?  The only problem with this team is Dan, Bruce, and whatever coach they hire buys into their own hype about the team and DOESN'T blow up the roster.  We REFUSE to blow up the roster.  You want to improve this team, you blow it up.  We keep the same old retreads on this team year after year.  Our roster blows and we kept 4 QB's one year.  Our roster blows and has no depth and we kept Santana Moss.  On defense we still have Kedric Golston.  We have a bunch of old guys who fortunately will be gone next year.  Bowen, Clark, Cofield.  How about we blow this thing up for real, stay out of free agency, build a team through drafting and grooming of our own.  Have starting offensive and defensive lines who were drafter here, not free agents.

It's not that difficult to build a roster in the NFL.  We just refuse to do it.

Wait, so it's true that this is the worst first year a coach had had here, but I can't argue it because he has a million excuses ranging from Danny to the players to swamp gas reflecting the moon? You as much admit it's the worst first year a coach has had here but start by saying I can't argue that. The logic is impeccable. Newsflash, every coach here has had to deal with Danny and a below average roster.

I could care less about the standings as much as the results on the field. We were a 3-13 team last year and we actually look WORSE than we did then. Last year's team would blow out this year's team. We have 3 wins, two of those wins are against the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in the league. We've had an incredibly easy schedule and yet we look awful out there.

Your a walking talking contradiction...So some how you have decided that this team is worse than last year?? It's the same frigg 'in team!!!!!! Tell me what has changed from last year to this??? You say he's the worst 1st year coach.. based on your eye test....based on who knows what your looking at,,, 3 wins last year...........3 wins!!!!! SAME PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!

The same guy's who couldn't block last year, still can't blooooooooock!

The same guy's who couldn't cover last season, once again can't cover....and still worthless safety play!

Yea it's all Gruden's fault, A 2 time SB coach failed as bad or worse last season, but it's Grudens fault.....you have absolutely no clue whatsoever about any aspect of football, and how circumstances can skew stats....there is no way to tell what kind of coach Gruden is .. until he get's some legitimate players around him.... Of coarse the same exact MO with every coach that comes to D.C. happens time and again, and your still their defending Snyder, and blaming the coach....even a broken clock is right twice a day, but not in Danny land, or your mind!!!!!! :)

5 super bowl wins between Gibbs & Shanny.....and both looked like they had no clue what a football was under Snyder, and his uncanny eye for talent evaluation!

Hey smart guy....how's one of the deepest drafts in the history of the NFL working out for us, under the guise of a Snyder led war room...HUH??????

Yeeeeea, that's Gruden's fault as well.......

Brady doesn't have a QC, but his OC is his former QC. Well, that and he doesn't need a lot of remedial training. P. Manning has a QC coach, so does Rothlesburger, romoSUCKS, Rivers, E. Manning. Pretty much every top QB except Brees has a QB coach.

I get the feeling that a lot of people here think that the QB coach just works on fundamentals during the week and gives out "way to go"s during the game. The QCs also are paying attention game situations and communicating between the QB and the other coaches. You see other QBs immediately sit down with their QC when they come off the field, especially when things are going wrong. RG3 sits down with Colt or his iPad Surface.

Thanks for info. Correct me if I'm wrong, big problem?

Especially for a guy who 'read wrong side of field, took 3 step drops when 5 were called, held ball to long'.

Right Jay? Way to coach em up

Interesting how the talking heads on the radio start wondering about things like this.  The more they wonder and talk about it, the more it seems to become a reality.  I don't want to say this is 100% media driven but...it's pretty damn close.  Kevin Sheehan's the worst at this, he just starts talking and pontificating and all of a sudden he's all worked up and acting like this is a possibility when there's nothing that can be pointed to that'll confirm his thoughts.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I honestly don't care who the coach is anymore, it just doesn't matter.  

Archived