Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN980: Could Jay Really Be One-and-Done?

BRAVEONAWARPATH

IF a 1st year NFL coach goes 3-13 with nearly every aspect of the team being worse then of course it should rightly warrant a FO to discuss the direction of the franchise.

Apparently, a single season that is pretty much a disaster from start to finish is not a big enough sample size.  Perhaps, two or three seasons of hopelessness will provide a better perspective of the true state of the franchise.

Your a walking talking contradiction...So some how you have decided that this team is worse than last year?? It's the same frigg 'in team!!!!!! Tell me what has changed from last year to this??? You say he's the worst 1st year coach.. based on your eye test....based on who knows what your looking at,,, 3 wins last year...........3 wins!!!!! SAME PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!

The same guy's who couldn't block last year, still can't blooooooooock!

The same guy's who couldn't cover last season, once again can't cover....and still worthless safety play!

Yea it's all Gruden's fault, A 2 time SB coach failed as bad or worse last season, but it's Grudens fault.....you have absolutely no clue whatsoever about any aspect of football, and how circumstances can skew stats....there is no way to tell what kind of coach Gruden is .. until he get's some legitimate players around him.... Of coarse the same exact MO with every coach that comes to D.C. happens time and again, and your still their defending Snyder, and blaming the coach....even a broken clock is right twice a day, but not in Danny land, or your mind!!!!!! :)

5 super bowl wins between Gibbs & Shanny.....and both looked like they had no clue what a football was under Snyder, and his uncanny eye for talent evaluation!

Hey smart guy....how's one of the deepest drafts in the history of the NFL working out for us, under the guise of a Snyder led war room...HUH??????

Yeeeeea, that's Gruden's fault as well.......

I fail to see how I defended Snyder, if anything, you're the one defending him.  Sit down for a moment, you might need a second to process this.  Snyder hired Allen who hired Gruden.  If you believe Gruden was the right hire, then you believe Allen made a smart move in hiring him and likewise Snyder made a smart move in hiring Allen.  Now, see, I take the opposite stance.  I think they are all incompetent.  That's called consistency.  You can't cry foul about Allen being incompetent at his job and the next moment celebrate the Gruden hire.  It's further proof of his ineptness, not some bizarre outlier.

Also, this isn't the same team.  It's similar, but let's do a run down of the many ways it is worse.

Penalties- 7.7 penalties per game compared to 6.2

Penalty yards- 72.4 compared to 50.1

Sacks- 3.8 compared to 2.7

Sack %- 11% compared to 7.1%

Yards per rush- 4.2 compared to 4.8

3rd down %- 31.6% compared to 40%

Points per game- 18.4 compared to 20.9

All this while we have the 4th easiest schedule this year as opposed to the 12th toughest last year.

Also you seem to not be grasping what 1st year head coach means.  Shanahan was 3-13 in his 4th year, not his 4th 1st year.  He was 6-10 his 1st year, and, while not pretty, that year was a good deal better than this one.  Now, last year was bad.  This is worse than that.  This is a lot worse than that.

Apparently, a single season that is pretty much a disaster from start to finish is not a big enough sample size.  Perhaps, two or three seasons of hopelessness will provide a better perspective of the true state of the franchise.

Thing is, I could understand if there was just ONE thing for opponents of the idea to cling on to, but there is zero improvement from last year.  Absolutely nothing looks better.  MAYBE the defense does.  And that's just sad (plus let's not go down the road of extending Haslett).

He is an idiot that has no concept of leadership or discretion, calling out players (not only Griffin but also Hatcher and others) publically and without any sort of filter.  Intensely stupid and counter-productive.

He has said repeatedly it is not his job to motivate the players he is 'coaching'.  Clearly this extends to it not being his job to instill basic discipline or concepts like controlling assignments.  Apparently he thinks its a head coaches job to walk in and say 'go win' and the team wins.  What exactly does he think he is being paid to do besides being Jons brother.

He is an idiot that is in way over his head and keeping him just because you are afraid people will think the team looks stupid (as if anyone could possibly think less of this organization) is a silly mistake.

IF a 1st year NFL coach goes 3-13 with nearly every aspect of the team being worse then of course it should rightly warrant a FO to discuss the direction of the franchise.

But..but..but we don't want the media to criticize us for being impatient!  That dude has to go!  Honestly, I think if Snyder did fire him, we would probably see some in the media defend the decision.  I think Stephen A. Smith would.

Are you serious? It's either all or nothing. Either Gruden gets another year or everybody goes. Snyder won't keep Allen if he fires Gruden.

I'm laughing at the hope part of it. I have no hope that Snyder ever gets it right. He'll never be able to stay hands off.

Are you serious? It's either all or nothing. Either Gruden gets another year or everybody goes. Snyder won't keep Allen if he fires Gruden.

Jeez, I hope so.  There are a number of people identified in the other thread that seemed like good candidates.  I think if Snyder handled a consultancy firm to actually conduct interviews (he can observe tape or be in the room) then maybe it takes some of his Reverse King Midas effect away from the decision.  Then again, I've never been fond of the decision-making of committees.

In any case, there's a real opportunity here.  Snyder, I'm sure, thought hiring Allen in this way was the right move.  But he needs to can everyone and rebuild the GM and scouting.  Let that GM hire the coach, then see what happens.  He certainly will still get blamed if it doenst' work but people who aren't morons would be a bit more forgiving if that sort of structure and experience is in place.

Are you sure about that?  Allen's is entrenched it would take more then one poor hire at head coach to get rid of him.

We'll see who is right, depending on what happens in the future. Seems to me that Allen and Gruden are a package deal after Allen failing with Shanahan.

I think the major change comes after the following year - after the 2016 season.  Danny gave Zorn two years and he will do the same and probably keep the majority of the staff id bet with the one big difference being DC who will be let go.

I think we have another season of this fun before the house gets cleaned.

We'll see who is right, depending on what happens in the future. Seems to me that Allen and Gruden are a package deal after Allen failing with Shanahan.

No no no no. Shanny was a Danny decision, Allen was brought here ahead of time to assess the staff, team, etc. for Shanny and Danny. The shanny decision was already made by Dan at that point.

Allen in turn was Shanny's guy for getting things done, such as players signed. While Dannys guy in running the front office more professionally.

No no no no. Shanny was a Danny decision, Allen was brought here ahead of time to assess the staff, team, etc. for Shanny and Danny. The shanny decision was already made by Dan at that point.

Allen in turn was Shanny's guy for getting things done, such as players signed. While Dannys guy in running the front office more professionally.

None of this has anything to do with what I said. I'm well aware of the pecking order while Shanahan was here, he hand-picked Allen. I'm aware. It doesn't matter, he's not going to be here for a third coaching regime, even if it's just because Snyder needs a scapegoat.

Archived