Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN980: Could Jay Really Be One-and-Done?

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Jay Gruden should be one and done. Get a coach who can come in here and actually coach up his players, prepare them mentally and show a stable presence.

Especially the offensive line!

"Coaching up" the offensive line is a piece of cake! Any old QB coach can coach up the o line. 'Specially one as gifted as ours. They're studs just waiting for the right voice.

We don't need new players or anything. Just a new coach who can say the right things.

Especially the offensive line!

"Coaching up" the offensive line is a piece of cake! Any old QB coach can coach up the o line. 'Specially one as gifted as ours. They're studs just waiting for the right voice.

We don't need new players or anything. Just a new coach who can say the right things.

Or perhaps we need both......

I sure hope so. he is a stubborn prick. was he hired to ruin Robert or help him? I cant tell. I really hope we get a coach in here that will help Robert reach his potential. two years ago we all had hope and then Robert got hurt and was handled incorrectly. Robert has been humbled and now is finally healthy. I would like to see us get a guy like Darrel bevel who knows how to use the weapons he has and build a team around Robert. but don't see that happening with jay here. he doesn't even care that we have no line and he keeps having our qbs drop straight back and get decapitated. why not move the pocket to get Robert on the edge. I hate the coach and don't want him to waist our qb. 

I fail to see how I defended Snyder, if anything, you're the one defending him.  Sit down for a moment, you might need a second to process this.  Snyder hired Allen who hired Gruden.  If you believe Gruden was the right hire, then you believe Allen made a smart move in hiring him and likewise Snyder made a smart move in hiring Allen.  Now, see, I take the opposite stance.  I think they are all incompetent.  That's called consistency.  You can't cry foul about Allen being incompetent at his job and the next moment celebrate the Gruden hire.  It's further proof of his ineptness, not some bizarre outlier.

Also, this isn't the same team.  It's similar, but let's do a run down of the many ways it is worse.

Penalties- 7.7 penalties per game compared to 6.2

Penalty yards- 72.4 compared to 50.1

Sacks- 3.8 compared to 2.7

Sack %- 11% compared to 7.1%

Yards per rush- 4.2 compared to 4.8

3rd down %- 31.6% compared to 40%

Points per game- 18.4 compared to 20.9

All this while we have the 4th easiest schedule this year as opposed to the 12th toughest last year.

Also you seem to not be grasping what 1st year head coach means.  Shanahan was 3-13 in his 4th year, not his 4th 1st year.  He was 6-10 his 1st year, and, while not pretty, that year was a good deal better than this one.  Now, last year was bad.  This is worse than that.  This is a lot worse than that.

Thing is, I could understand if there was just ONE thing for opponents of the idea to cling on to, but there is zero improvement from last year.  Absolutely nothing looks better.  MAYBE the defense does.  And that's just sad (plus let's not go down the road of extending Haslett).

No...I grasp it just fine, what you fail to be able to comprehend is the team last season being handed off to a new coach this season, what was Gruden supposed to do with the same players Shanny couldn't get anything out of last season? All a product of the Snyder personnel dept. Gruden the right hire? Again you fail to comprehend; WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT JAY IS AT THE MOMENT...not until he can be fairly evaluated with a real QB, and a bonified O-line.

And yes, Snyder is responsible for every failed hire since he has taken over....I don't know how you came away with the thought that I some how support Snyder? The same exact problems occur, with every coach who comes to DC...now, you may support Snyder all you want, but if you think I am in any way? Then this conversation is over!

WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT JAY IS AT THE MOMENT...not until he can be fairly evaluated with a real QB, and a bonified O-line.

Yeah but we do.  We know he is a system coach.  He doesn't raise the level of any player on our squad.  That's bad in an OC, and on another level in a HC.

Yeah but we do.  We know he is a system coach.  He doesn't raise the level of any player on our squad.  That's bad in an OC, and on another level in a HC.

Interesting...So the level of these players in your opinion is that of a SB contender??? And Jay has no ability to extract that talent out of them??? Like Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanny!

Oh when will we find that special talent at coach, who can make chicken salad...out of chicken #$%^&**! Keep in mind; we had two coaches who had 5 SB wins between them!!!

System coach???? Pretty funny....tell me what coach doesn't run his own system?

You know I have no problem with us going 3-13 following the 3-13 season last year if we saw an improvement in culture... honestly the fact the HC and the QB could not have a grown up relationship last year was the problem, not the record, the fact the HC could not have a grown up relationship with the QB this year speaks volumes also. HC should know better. 

I really do not think Coach Gibbs liked Jay Shrader because he was arrogant and abrasive and yet we rode him pretty much to the 1987 championship - you can not like someone but do not let the fact you don't like someone interfer with your proffesional interactions. 

Gruden does nothing well. From lack of motivation ( i think it laughable a week after he benches his best RAH RAH team guy on offense (Griffin who you always see geeing up the troops on the sideline to complain to the media the offense had no enthusiasm) - Oh yeah and then in less than 2 minute situations when most teams wheel out the "hurry up" offense we wheel out "the relax maaan have a cup of tea dont worry about it bra" offense 

Then there is the  poor game planning -

If you know your offensive line cannot block well in drop back passing situations then do not constantly run 4 or 5 man routes. The QB then gets blasted for not seeing the open man and the reason he is not seeing the open man is because he knows pretty much as soon as the ball is in his hands he is going to get blasted from somewhere...If you have one of the most mobile QBs in the game then game plan too rather than against his strengths - And while we are at it 

The poor personnel managing - 

Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing, If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing, if you are worried about if what you say will be taken out of context then say nothing  - If the hyper immature 24 year old bright eyed diva attention whore QB can understand that - How on earth does the HC not understand that . it is not just a Bilichek thing - Coach Gibbs did the same - every press conference you could see under the surface after a loss he was fuming but he always, always was careful and controlled in front of the press - which is why you had Sally Jenkins writing her Hack - Ordinary Joe article - to prevoke a response. Dont fuel the beast and really do not let them set the conversation. The Media wants evidence of turmoil of descent of controversy and the easiest target is the relationship between the HC and his high profile QB. Even when Griffin was injured and when he was benched Gruden let the media keep the story going. 

And yes the media persona is one thing and things may be different behind closed doors, but you look at the team and it is a team that is dazed and confused. If the HC is not behind the QB and keeps mouthing off about him in the media but then turns to him to start what does that say to the team - What does it say about Cousins. Just last week for all the "the plan is to start Griffin if Colt cannot go" Gruden turns around and gives no first team reps to his starter prepares a guy who did not get medically cleared until Saturday and this is how he ****ing prepares his team for a divisional match up .... For **** sake. 

Gruden needs to go . NOW ! 

We are worried about what the media will think but seriously another season like this and Dans only concern with the media will be how to avoid the games blacking out and how to convince his sponsors he is not an idiot,

People forget Dan is not the sole owner of the Redskins, He has a board to answer to. He has a bank to answer to for loans against the team - sure most of those people are family members and friends but if I can see my investment continually loose value I am considering a boardroom revolt.

I still have faith in the Redskins brand, somehow i think purely by chance Dan will stumble upon the right people to listen too get the right coach at the right time - but to keep someone because we might not get anyone better is asinine.....

Gruden must go - And Hasslet and Allen and McVay ... all of them - and sure someone might find their feet elsewhere but just because they do it is not a reason to let them be inncompetent here indefinatly in the hope somehow things will change here dramatically...

Man

Interesting...So the level of these players in your opinion is that of a SB contender??? And Jay has no ability to extract that talent out of them??? Like Schottenheimer, Spurrier, Gibbs, Zorn, Shanny!

Oh when will find that special talent at QB, who can make chicken salad...out of chicken #$%^&**! Keep in mind; we had two coaches who had 5 SB wins between them!!!

Oh when will find that special talent at QB, who can make chicken salad...out of chicken #$%^&**! Keep in mind; we had two coaches who had 5 SB wins between them!!!

Where are you getting I think the level of these players is that of a SB contender? 

And yes he's a 'system coach'.  He has his sytem and players have to fit into it as best they can, rather than fit the system to the players as best the coach can.

Where are you getting I think the level of these players is that of a SB contender?

And yes he's a 'system coach'. He has his sytem and players have to fit into it as best they can, rather than fit the system to the players as best the coach can.

Don't worry about him, he resorts to hyperbole that we expect Super Bowl contenders instead of just not looking like the worst team in the league. This roster was 10-6 two years ago, nobody expected that year 1 of gruden, but is 5-6 wins while looking competent and like a professional team too much to ask?

Actually you did LB...Hypocrite, on one hand this team should be much better, it's the lack of coaching... on the other; we don't have a talented team personnel wise. You some how figured out that Jay was supposed to get this group to 5-6 wins instead of 3-4, what a disaster of a coaching job.....and what a moronic statement...yea a "respectable" 5-6 wins.....that cracks me up!!!

System coach??? Tell me what type of system would either of you implement with the players we have?? This should be good!!! Oh' keep in mind that RG3 can't find the open man from the pocket, and can't avoid the big hit when he's out of it...now go to it!

Almost forgot; our O-line is not so good at winning the battle upfront,, Good luck! :)

The O Line not been upgraded over the years is criminal. That's mostly on Shany, Mara and Allen has some blame to share as well.

I was not too concerned about wins this season, I just wanted to see constant and gradual improvement. I put most of the blame on Allen, Gruden, Haz and the position coaches.

Not only has the team failed miserably at showing any improvement, but they have regressed throughout the season. That is piss poor coaching, and Allen hired or retained these wannabes.

Actually you did LB...Hypocrite, on one hand this team should be much better, it's the lack of coaching... on the other; we don't have a talented team personnel wise. You some how figured out that Jay was supposed to get this group to 5-6 wins instead of 3-4, what a disaster of a coaching job.....and what a moronic statement...yea a "respectable" 5-6 wins.....that cracks me up!!!

System coach??? Tell me what type of system would either of you implement with the players we have?? This should be good!!! Oh' keep in mind that RG3 can't find the open man from the pocket, and can't avoid the big hit when he's out of it...now go to it!

Almost forgot; our O-line is not so good at winning the battle upfront,, Good luck! :)

Tsk tsk you can't quote respectable if I never typed it. Maybe you can't remember what a professional team looks like, but this isn't it. Hell, I'd take just 3 wins if we looked well coached during it, but our penalties and just plain dumb playcalling don't cut it for me. I can see how dumb might appeal to you, but I want a coach who actually has some intelligence.

a part of me hopes we get blown out two straight games, so Gruden gets fired.    Bringing him back next year is a big mistake.

I get the sentiment of losing in the short-term to put yourself in a better long-term position, but damn it's fun to watch wins sometimes. Even the meaningless ones. 

Despite the awful season, we have played competitively against the East 4 out of our 5 chances so far. A close win and close loss vs. Philly. At least a split with Dallas. A close game vs. NY in December. The only stinker was the Thursday night debacle vs. the Giants. That has to count for something with Gruden, right?

I get the sentiment of losing in the short-term to put yourself in a better long-term position, but damn it's fun to watch wins sometimes. Even the meaningless ones.

Despite the awful season, we have played competitively against the East 4 out of our 5 chances so far. A close win and close loss vs. Philly. At least a split with Dallas. A close game vs. NY in December. The only stinker was the Thursday night debacle vs. the Giants. That has to count for something with Gruden, right?

We also only have two wins outside our division, and that's against probably the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in football. At least a close game against Dallas and this offseason may not be so doom and gloom. I think the biggest thing I'd the sheer amount of blow outs we've had.

First:  London Fletcher called out Hazlett, call me crazy, but i believe him when he says Haz is awful, his track record backs that up.

Second: How about a system that is run first and uses play action?  That's what this team does best.  AKA Talent dictates scheme.  That is how we won games in 2012, that's how we won last night.

3rd: The problem is that it took 13 weeks of football for Gruden to figure that out!  Mind you, every time we spread the field and run against 6 in the box, it has been successful, more of that please.  We have been helplessly out coached in almost every game this season.  Offense, Defense and Special Teams.  Whether it's teaching fundamentals, false starts or play calling, all of that is on the Coach.

Archived