Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A look at the Rams, from a Rams fan

ramsfan09

Your defensive line scares me. It's among the tops in the league, right along with Buffalo. Although I'd say the Rams may have a more talented defensive line. It's scary good.

The Skins offensive line better pull a horseshoe out of their butt Sunday.

Pull it out and beat them with it as they drive by? We have no chance of stopping that line IMO. Better game plan and adjust for it, which might call for some coaching on a Sunday.... (cheap shot) 

Thanks Ramsfan for that in-depth analysis of your team, good luck not wearing your voice out cheering as the points soar....sadly for me,,,,,Rams 35, Skins 13. 

The Rams have been a very interesting team for the last 30 years.  They were bad for a long time, then suddenly when Kurt Warner pulled a Joe Harvey (Damn Yankees reference, look it up) they had one of the greatest runs in NFL history, certainly the most exciting team I can ever remember. Then like Haley's Comet it seemed to be gone in a flash and they have been struggling every since.  So yeah their fans deserve better, just as we do.

As for the 2 teams I agree with the earlier poster, you caught us at probably an all time low.  The RGIII failure will cripple this team for the next decade.  Not just with the picks lost but we will continue the 30 year search for a good QB because, this just in, the NFL is all about the QB. 

Which brings me back to the Rams.  No doubt they are way ahead of Washington's roster and that's not just a result of the trade.  But until they find a top QB, and no I do not believe Checkdown Sammy is that guy, it's hard to consider them anything more than a .500 team. 

Were only 3 point dogs, with the rams coming off a 52 point stomping. Pretty disrespectful to the rams.

We're at "home" though I don't know how many fans will be there.  When you take the standard 3 points for home field into account, we're considered six point dogs to the Rams at a neutral site.  I think that's a function of their QB and skill players not being "wow" names like their defense.  If they had any real name QB in place, the line would probably be double digits.

We're at "home" though I don't know how many fans will be there. When you take the standard 3 points for home field into account, we're considered six point dogs to the Rams at a neutral site. I think that's a function of their QB and skill players not being "wow" names like their defense. If they had any real name QB in place, the line would probably be double digits.

were home dogs to a team with no QB or skill position players, but solid young lines built by us, for a QB we bet the house on who is finishing his second of third year on the bench, due to performance.

I can't believe I was behind trading our future for an undersized, oft injured RO one college year wonder. Makes me furious.

The Rams have the best defensive line in the NFL for me.  Deep and wide.  I predict 5 or 6 sacks easily.  Especially if Gruden doesn't run the ball consistently early on and if DJax doesn't play... oye.

Christ, I am already feeling sore all over for Colt. 

For me, this game will go a long, long way for deciding how I feel about Gruden. 

WE know these ****s can get after it ... if he does not come up with a game plan to neutralize their D-line, I'm not sure why the hell he's coaching. My thinking is we have given up an epic amount of sacks the last few weeks, so FREAKING FIX IT.

I don't care if they run the ball 50+ plus times, but do anything to fix the issue and if we lose 17-3 so be it, but if we give up more than 3 sacks, I'm just about done with Gruden.  

Not Colt

Not the O-line

But Gruden ... I know he can't block for them, or make the quick throw, blah, blah, but he's the coach and he needs to stop the bleeding, one way or another. 

On the biggest stage in the world what did Belichek do against the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, played Dime defense and crazy bump and run, big departure from what they did during the regulars season.  That's what I'm talking about ... we did it once on D against the Boys, now got to pull every trick in the bag against this D-line. 

I want to see screens, spread the field, slants, ect. Anything to neutralize that D-line. 

The Rams running game has been very good led by rookie Tre Mason who was inactive the first six weeks, seemingly he did something Jeff Fisher didn't like. 

Kenny Britt seems to have had a bit of a revival in St Louis and is probably our best mid-range WR. Steadman Bailey and Chris Givens have also been playing well and are the guys most likely to get the long range passes.

TE has been pretty average except for Jared Cook who is a bit of a weapon as a pass catcher. Generally the TEs have been reduced to blocking duty though.

The secondary is very young. Most came from our 2012 or 2013 draft. But they play well. Janoris Jenkins is by far the most talented. 

The Rams special teams have been great. Jeff Fisher loves trick plays and has used them to a lot of success this year (our punter/holder has two touchdown passes and three completions so far). We have a very good kicker and punter. Coverage is usually very good on kicks. Tavon Austin is a weapon as a returner. He doesn't do kickoff returns though and that's pretty average.

Greetings Skins fans!

I like to talk to opposing fans before a game because they know much more than the typical analyst.  Hope you don't mind.

A few things I would clear up about the OP though:

Tre Mason was learning pass blocking and not in the dog house.

Britt is a long ball guy, not Bailey, and Givens is barely on the team much less the field.  If speed kills, it will be Britt and TA roaring down the sidelines and Cook in the seam.

Cook isn't mostly used in blocking, he's the best receiving TE in rams history and is number 2 in receiving this season.  He crushes in the seam.

Jenkins may be the best in the secondary, that's debatable, but certainly not "by far".  Right now this secondary is playing lights out.  Gaines and Tru are both playing at Jenkins' level.

Austin hasn't been performing well at punt returns and has dropped many while the KR duties have gone to Cunningham who is 5th in the league so...  you know.

What the numbers don't readily reveal is the Rams started slow but are playing as well as any team right now.  This is the D in the last 5 games:

- No. 1 in most takeaways, 13.

- No. 2 in sacks, 22.

- Tied for No. 2 in fewest touchdowns allowed from scrimmage, with six.

- No. 2 in rushing defense, 65 yards per game.

- No. 3 in allowing opponents a third-down conversion rate of 30.4 pct.

- No. 5 in average yards per rushing attempt, 3.39.

People often don't notice the Rams offense because the D is playing so well but the Rams have scored 98-36 over the last 3 games.  I see people say the Rams don't have skill players but that's just not so.  Tre Mason is playing like a top RB.  Cook is a top TE.  Austin, Bailey, and Britt are all very good WRs.  They just spread the ball around a LOT so no one stands out and Hill isn't going to throw for 300 yards a game.

The Rams play a very strong field position and special teams game.  The punter and kicker are both excellent.  Rams will kick 55 yard field goals all day if required.  If they get to your 40, they'll go for a field goal.  They also have no fear of the fake.

I have Alfred Morris in FF and he's been good lately but I'm benching him this week.  Rams are fierce against primary backs.

Good luck Skins!  Especially against the Eagles and Cowboys.  Rams need them to tank for our delusions of playoff hopes to be realized!

Greetings Skins fans!

I like to talk to opposing fans before a game because they know much more than the typical analyst. Hope you don't mind.

Britt is a long ball guy, not Bailey, and Givens is barely on the team much less the field. If speed kills, it will be Britt and TA roaring down the sidelines and Cook in the seam.

Cook isn't mostly used in blocking, he's the best receiving TE in rams history and is number 2 in receiving this season. He crushes in the seam.

Jenkins may be the best in the secondary, that's debatable, but certainly not "by far". Right now this secondary is playing lights out. Gaines and Tru are both playing at Jenkins' level.

Austin hasn't been performing well at punt returns and has dropped many while the KR duties have gone to Cunningham who is 5th in the league so... you know.

What the numbers don't readily revel is the Rams started slow but are playing as well as any team right now. This is the D in the last 5 games:

- No. 2 in sacks, 22.

People often don't notice the Rams offense because the D is playing so well but the Rams have scored 98-36 over the last 3 games. I see people say the Rams don't have skill players but that's just not so. Tre Mason is playing like a top RB. Cook is a top TE. Austin, Bailey, and Britt are all very good WRs. They just spread the ball around a LOT so no one stands out and Hill isn't going to throw for 300 yards a game.

The Rams play a very strong field position and special teams game. The punter and kicker are both excellent. Rams will kick 55 yard field goals all day if required. If they get to your 40, they'll go for a field goal. They also have no fear of the fake.

I have Alfred Morris in FF and he's been good lately but I'm benching him this week. Rams are fierce against primary backs.

Good luck Skins! Especially against the Eagles and Cowboys. Rams need them to tank for our delusions of playoff hopes to be realized!

We're dead.

were home dogs to a team with no QB or skill position players, but solid young lines built by us, for a QB we bet the house on who is finishing his second of third year on the bench, due to performance.

I can't believe I was behind trading our future for an undersized, oft injured RO one college year wonder. Makes me furious.

Those "no QB or skill position players" have scored 98 points in the last three games where Hill started.  98-36.  Just sayin', they aren't what you think if you look at the Austin Davis stats.

Those "no QB or skill position players" have scored 98 points in the last three games where Hill started.  98-36.  Just sayin', they aren't what you think if you look at the Austin Davis stats.

So the Rams scored 23 points a game taking out the Raiders game.

Whoohoo!!!

Not that we stand a chance but your offense scores slightly more often than an RG3 led Redskins offense.

Whoohoo!!!

Not that we stand a chance but your offense scores slightly more often than an RG3 led Redskins offense.

Fair point.  However, those 46-36 points were against the number 3 and number 8 defenses.

In the Chargers game the rams had 14 points taken off the board with penalties and a short FG blocked so, at least as far as the QB and skill players go, the numbers might be deceiving.  Without those poorly timed penalties, it would be 60-36 against the number 3 and 8 defenses and 110-36 under Hill.

I don't even remember Williams being with the Redskins, was it as a DC or?

He was the DC.  When Gibbs retired, they spent four days interviewing Williams for the HC position, then fired him from the team entirely.

And hired Jim Zorn as HC.

Edit:  You seem like a nice guy.  If I had tickets, I'd sell them to you. 

Those "no QB or skill position players" have scored 98 points in the last three games where Hill started. 98-36. Just sayin', they aren't what you think if you look at the Austin Davis stats.

go away ram fan. You realize these are the kind of games we accidentally win? We finally have a first round pick this year, which can only mean one thing. Winning streak.

The best response to these nuggets, it appears that both groups of fans are very familiar with GgW and Haz. :lol:

Agreed, kind of interesting... and there's the fact that we've faced each other a lot recently in the past 6-7 years. Unfortunately a lot of that is being last in our divisions, but it's also been a part of divisional rotation. And our trade with each other. I don't want to speak badly of any team as I know what it's like to suck and/or have bad coaches.... but I certainly wouldn't trade Haslett for Williams. Haslett seems like a fraud, everything he is billed as (aggressive in playcalling and coach and design, brings lots of pressure, teaching players to punish opponents...) seems to be the opposite of what he actually is. 

Though I wouldn't say we have the better team right now, Griffin's rookie year was better than any season the Rams have had since the trade.

That's true. The Rams still have much to accomplish. Although I like where we're at right now

Pull it out and beat them with it as they drive by? We have no chance of stopping that line IMO. Better game plan and adjust for it, which might call for some coaching on a Sunday.... (cheap shot) 

Thanks Ramsfan for that in-depth analysis of your team, good luck not wearing your voice out cheering as the points soar....sadly for me,,,,,Rams 35, Skins 13. 

I hope that's the score! I think it'll be lower though

The Rams have been a very interesting team for the last 30 years.  They were bad for a long time, then suddenly when Kurt Warner pulled a Joe Harvey (Damn Yankees reference, look it up) they had one of the greatest runs in NFL history, certainly the most exciting team I can ever remember. Then like Haley's Comet it seemed to be gone in a flash and they have been struggling every since.  So yeah their fans deserve better, just as we do.

As for the 2 teams I agree with the earlier poster, you caught us at probably an all time low.  The RGIII failure will cripple this team for the next decade.  Not just with the picks lost but we will continue the 30 year search for a good QB because, this just in, the NFL is all about the QB. 

Which brings me back to the Rams.  No doubt they are way ahead of Washington's roster and that's not just a result of the trade.  But until they find a top QB, and no I do not believe Checkdown Sammy is that guy, it's hard to consider them anything more than a .500 team. 

I went to the first Rams game in 95 in StL, it was in Busch Stadium where the Cardinals play. Been to more games then probably 99% of people in the area. We went from really bad, to ridiculously elite to ridiculously awful and now, to respectable and hopefully climbing.

I wonder if teams are going to go away from the undersized athletic QBs now and back to drafting pocket QBs. Newton, Kaepernick, RG3, etc. have all had their struggles. And a lot of it is due to injury. It's hard enough for a QB to be a runner in the NFL, scheme wise, without teams figuring it out eventually and it seems like these guys who aren't really more built then a WR aren't quite sturdy enough to take all the hits from running the ball, along with sacks and being out there for every single play. 

Christ, I am already feeling sore all over for Colt. 

For me, this game will go a long, long way for deciding how I feel about Gruden. 

WE know these ****s can get after it ... if he does not come up with a game plan to neutralize their D-line, I'm not sure why the hell he's coaching. My thinking is we have given up an epic amount of sacks the last few weeks, so FREAKING FIX IT.

I don't care if they run the ball 50+ plus times, but do anything to fix the issue and if we lose 17-3 so be it, but if we give up more than 3 sacks, I'm just about done with Gruden.  

Not Colt

Not the O-line

But Gruden ... I know he can't block for them, or make the quick throw, blah, blah, but he's the coach and he needs to stop the bleeding, one way or another. 

On the biggest stage in the world what did Belichek do against the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI, played Dime defense and crazy bump and run, big departure from what they did during the regulars season.  That's what I'm talking about ... we did it once on D against the Boys, now got to pull every trick in the bag against this D-line. 

I want to see screens, spread the field, slants, ect. Anything to neutralize that d-line. 

Well as a Rams fan I can tell you without any doubt that I'd rather see the Redskins start off with a gameplan that has them throwing 50 times then running 50 times. I trust our run defense, but I think your best chance of success is running the ball. 

I remember ya, amigo---welcome back.

All I can say is "enjoy the win." 

I do hope we win. 

Greetings Skins fans!

I like to talk to opposing fans before a game because they know much more than the typical analyst.  Hope you don't mind.

Britt is a long ball guy, not Bailey, and Givens is barely on the team much less the field.  If speed kills, it will be Britt and TA roaring down the sidelines and Cook in the seam.

Cook isn't mostly used in blocking, he's the best receiving TE in rams history and is number 2 in receiving this season.  He crushes in the seam.

Jenkins may be the best in the secondary, that's debatable, but certainly not "by far".  Right now this secondary is playing lights out.  Gaines and Tru are both playing at Jenkins' level.

Austin hasn't been performing well at punt returns and has dropped many while the KR duties have gone to Cunningham who is 5th in the league so...  you know.

What the numbers don't readily reveal is the Rams started slow but are playing as well as any team right now.  This is the D in the last 5 games:

- No. 2 in sacks, 22.

People often don't notice the Rams offense because the D is playing so well but the Rams have scored 98-36 over the last 3 games.  I see people say the Rams don't have skill players but that's just not so.  Tre Mason is playing like a top RB.  Cook is a top TE.  Austin, Bailey, and Britt are all very good WRs.  They just spread the ball around a LOT so no one stands out and Hill isn't going to throw for 300 yards a game.

The Rams play a very strong field position and special teams game.  The punter and kicker are both excellent.  Rams will kick 55 yard field goals all day if required.  If they get to your 40, they'll go for a field goal.  They also have no fear of the fake.

I have Alfred Morris in FF and he's been good lately but I'm benching him this week.  Rams are fierce against primary backs.

Good luck Skins!  Especially against the Eagles and Cowboys.  Rams need them to tank for our delusions of playoff hopes to be realized!

Clear up eh? ;) Nice to see another Rams fan here. I think this is the first time I've seen another since I started posting here years ago.I have to respectfully disagree with some of your points though.

First, I think Tre Mason was indeed in the dog house. Fisher is kind of notorious for putting players into it, and Tre seemed to fit everything. I think the biggest peice of evidence against your argument is that Tre is still not very good in pass protection and it's not like an injury has forced him into the lineup. Reports were that he looked very good in practice and I don't think anything was keeping him from at least not even being dressed except for the dog house. Also there was the cryptic way Fisher answered questions about him in press conferences when reporters wondered why he wasn't active... it was also different then the way he addressed Robinson. 

Also, I did say Cook was our weapon at TE.... here's my quote from the OP:

"TE has been pretty average except for Jared Cook who is a bit of a weapon as a pass catcher. " 

Did I say Jenkins was the best in the secondary? If so I didn't mean to say that. I think he has by far the most talent. Although I think he's pretty much tied with EJ Gaines as far a performance in the secondary. 

As far as Tavon Austin being a returner, the results haven't been quite there for him. although he's still a threat on every single return. 

Whoohoo!!!

That's true. Although for most of those games, we did have our 3rd string QB, didn't have our #1 RB and were facing elite defenses on a pretty much weekly basis. Regardless, the Rams offense certainly has a lot of work to do to become consistent. With our defense, I think 23 points would be enough to beat the Redskins.

He was the DC.  When Gibbs retired, they spent four days interviewing Williams for the HC position, then fired him from the team entirely.

And hired Jim Zorn as HC.

Edit:  You seem like a nice guy.  If I had tickets, I'd sell them to you. 

Yeah I actually went to wiki afterwards and saw that. Do you guys wish you had hired him as HC? I guess you wouldn't have anything to lose by saying yes at this point, but although we hired some great coordinators who were the hot pick of the off season (Scott Linehan, Steve Spagnuolo) they ended up being TOTAL duds. So I wouldn't think it would equal success automatically. 

Personally it's one of the reasons I was glad to get Fisher. I know one of the knocks against him is that his overall record is pretty average, but I'd still rather have "average" over taking a chance at another coordinator! He's had success in building playoff teams and in developing players. Fisher had a lot of pieces already in place when he and Les Snead (GM) took over, so if he is/was going to succeed in winning a Superbowl I think he's in a good place for it, or at least as good of a place as he was going to get in 2012. 

And thanks :) Like I said earlier, I love to debate football. I don't want to antagonize anyone here at all. Besides, an opposing team's forum isn't the place to smack talk and the Rams haven't done enough to enable me to do that even if I wanted to. I'd actually love to go to a Rams game in DC sometime, so maybe I'll send you a PM in that regard sometime haha. I've been to away games in Chicago, Tempe Arizona, San Fran and Cleveland so far. All were great experiences with the fans except for San Fran when I weirdly had Raiders fans giving me s#$^. 

I hate the Rams, would almost rather win this and lose the next 3 division games than lose this one. Living here for ten years and knowing how bad this next week is going to be is truly unbearable.

St. Louis is a blast for baseball and hockey, but Rams fans (maybe minus you dudes) are the worst. I hope the team moves to LA, I'll throw a huge going away party.

From a football perspective, I've seen this "rise" from the Rams before, their defense has consistently been solid (or dirty see 2012 in stl) under Fischer. Until you truly have an offense to go with that defense you'll continue to be bottom dwellers in the west. Shaun hill is no one special and Bradford never was either. I'm tired of the going opposite directions story line, let me know when the Rams start making playoff appearances and then we can talk about how that trade set you over the edge.

I hate the Rams, would almost rather win this and lose the next 3 division games than lose this one. Living here for ten years and knowing how bad this next week is going to be is truly unbearable.

St. Louis is a blast for baseball and hockey, but Rams fans (maybe minus you dudes) are the worst. I hope the team moves to LA, I'll throw a huge going away party.

From a football perspective, I've seen this "rise" from the Rams before, their defense has consistently been solid (or dirty see 2012 in stl) under Fischer. Until you truly have an offense to go with that defense you'll continue to be bottom dwellers in the west. Shaun hill is no one special and Bradford never was either. I'm tired of the going opposite directions story line, let me know when the Rams start making playoff appearances and then we can talk about how that trade set you over the edge.

The St Louis reputation for sports has failed the Rams somewhat, but the Rams have also failed St Louis. If next season the Rams show to have a chance at the playoffs fans will show up in droves. TV ratings are still extremely high for the Rams in the area, as a % still amongst the highest in any NFL market. St Louis isn't the richest or most populated city, and with the Rams having a historically bad previous decade I think a lot of people have chosen to spend their money on the other two franchises here that are what the Rams want/need to be. Build them a new stadium or don't be a team who wins 1-3 games for 4 years in a row and the fans will come back. Those things aren't guaranteed though unfortunately. 

I guess I can see why you don't like the Rams at all. The RG3 trade wasn't smart in itself and his trajectory at the moment makes it seem even worse.  We seem to have the Redskins number recently and have also played each other a lot. But even still, I don't understand your hatred for the city that is so extreme that not only do you put a win over the Rams on top of a win over division rivals but that you also seem to be giddy at the prospect of the Rams moving. Personally I wouldn't wish it on any fan base or city (lots of jobs and tax dollars and some businesses at stake too), even on my most hated teams/cities - 49ers and Seahawks. 

I agree with you assessment of the trade and the direction of the Rams. Rams fan know this storyline all too well. Although I will say that the way the team looks now, is more hopeful then it has been in the last 8 years after the Superbowl team pieces finally disintegrated. I agree with the overall assessment of Bradford, I don't think he's special, but I do think he'd have been a heck of a lot better option the Shaun Hill and certainly a better one then our third string QB, Austin Davis, who started six games. I think we would be in the running for a playoff spot right now if Bradford weren't injured. 

On a personal note, I've been going to games since the Rams moved here twenty years ago and I was a kid. My family has always had season tickets, I went to the first game at Busch stadium and almost every game afterwards up until 2004 when I had to leave for military service and probably a good 1/3 of games after that. I watched the Rams when Isaac Bruce was the only good thing about them, and when Steven Jackson was the only good thing about them... so maybe you can have a little less hate for my sake  :lol:

Welcome back.

A lot to like about your team.

Will be my surrogate team when they're here  in LA next year. Definitely going to get season tixs.

I wouldn't bet that the Rams wouldn't move or even that they would move at this point, but I would bet against them moving next year. I don't see the NFL allowing the team to move to LA without a stadium at least underway. And I doubt our owner would part with a large chunk of the team (a part of the two realistic proposals). The owner is a local guy and was a big part of the initial attempts to get a team to St Louis. He was a part of attempts to get an expansion team here (really, we should have gotten the Jaguars) and would have been the 100% owner, and the city made it a mandate that any team who moved here sold 20% of the team to Kronke, with options for him to purchase more at the time went on (he owned 40% at Georgia Frontiere's death) and a clause to match any offer for sale of the team which he took after Georgia died and the team was almost sold to another local guy, Shad Khan, who owns the Jaguars now. 

On the negative side, apparently our owner owns some land near LA that could possibly be used for a stadium. Although at 60 acres it'd be a small site for LA and the way our owner has made his money is through real estate and he owns tens of thousands of acres across the nation.

I think a big peice of the puzzle will come sometime in January of 2015. In November, the mayor of StL and the governor of MO had a press conference about the team and talked about the people they have working on the deal and sound very serious about it (and the reaction from local media, it sounds like it's serious) and the proposal, or at least initial one, will be unveiled in January. 

Clear up eh? ;) Nice to see another Rams fan here. I think this is the first time I've seen another since I started posting here years ago.I have to respectfully disagree with some of your points though.

First, I think Tre Mason was indeed in the dog house. Fisher is kind of notorious for putting players into it, and Tre seemed to fit everything. I think the biggest peice of evidence against your argument is that Tre is still not very good in pass protection and it's not like an injury has forced him into the lineup. Reports were that he looked very good in practice and I don't think anything was keeping him from at least not even being dressed except for the dog house. Also there was the cryptic way Fisher answered questions about him in press conferences when reporters wondered why he wasn't active... it was also different then the way he addressed Robinson. 

Also, I did say Cook was our weapon at TE.... here's my quote from the OP:

"TE has been pretty average except for Jared Cook who is a bit of a weapon as a pass catcher. " 

Did I say Jenkins was the best in the secondary? If so I didn't mean to say that. I think he has by far the most talent. Although I think he's pretty much tied with EJ Gaines as far a performance in the secondary. 

As far as Tavon Austin being a returner, the results haven't been quite there for him. although he's still a threat on every single return. 

You said: "Generally the TEs have been reduced to blocking duty though" which is what I was taking exception too.  Blockers don't have the second most receiving yards on the team.  :)

You said: "He doesn't do kickoff returns though and that's pretty average." which is inaccurate.  Cunningham has been outstanding at KR.  Far better than TA at punt returns thus far even considering the big one that was called back.  ;)

The rest is your opinion so I withdraw my remarks.

Archived