Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why didn't we give the Colts three first round pick for Luck?

boobiemiles

If anything, ask why the Redskins felt the need to win two worthless games down the stretch to fall to the 6th pick, which required us to trade all the way back up?

because the biggest myth is fans thinking that players and coaches actually plan to tank games. too many jobs and $$$ on the line for that to happen in the NFL. it's just an urban legend that fan boys hold on to....

because the biggest myth is fans thinking that players and coaches actually plan to tank games. too many jobs and $$$ on the line for that to happen in the NFL. it's just an urban legend that fan boys hold on to....

Well, yeah. I'm not saying we should have lost out. Just saying, the Skins are just cursed ... had a legitimate shot at the #1 pick that year and "squandered" it away with a couple meaningless wins. 

Well, yeah. I'm not saying we should have lost out. Just saying, the Skins are just cursed ... had a legitimate shot at the #1 pick that year and "squandered" it away with a couple meaningless wins. 

I think we find ourselves in an equally daunting place now. The Jags and Raiders just took QBs so most likely they don't take one again. We are not tracking to pick up many more wins and there are 3 legit first round QBs in this draft (Mariotta, that idiot from FSU and the UCLA guy). Do we take another QB? It would make the franchise look really foolish...but ain't that just what we do? Ugh.

No coach will "tank a game" or a season after training camp

In order to truly tank a season you have to make those personnel and schematic decisions in March/April/May and put forth a young team with minimal high end talent and a scheme that may not properly put them in position to win.

It was pretty clear the Colts had no plan in 2011 except to lose once Peyton Manning was injured. And to their credit they did a damn good job of executing that plan. 

I don't think Luck would have been as pitiful here as Griffin has proven to be, but I highly doubt he'd have anywhere near the success he's having with the Colts.

I think lots of the "celebrity QB" issues would have gone away with Luck. I also think he really would have clicked well with the Shanahans and the system they wanted to run. 

As i recall the feeling was that both of them were can't miss prospects, with Luck being more 'can't miss' due to his pro-style of play and pocket QB ncaa career.

I believe the thinking was it didn't matter which one the Colts took, we wanted the other guy just as much.

~Bang

I think we find ourselves in an equally daunting place now. The Jags and Raiders just took QBs so most likely they don't take one again. We are not tracking to pick up many more wins and there are 3 legit first round QBs in this draft (Mariotta, that idiot from FSU and the UCLA guy). Do we take another QB? It would make the franchise look really foolish...but ain't that just what we do? Ugh.

Hundley is not a first round pick

We had a great year in 2012 but let's face it we squeaked in the playoffs that year.

Tannehill, Foles, Wilson, and Cousins were all acquired after RG3 and have thus far been arguably better, especially since 2013.

Think of where the team had been had we not made this trade, we would have had multiple top 5 picks along with one of these other guys...

Luck would be perfectly successful here.  Defenses would actually account for the pass and not stack the box every play.  That with his ability to play the QB position (decision making, quick reads) would then result in the oline looking just fine as it appears with Kirk/Colt.

As i recall the feeling was that both of them were can't miss prospects, with Luck being more 'can't miss' due to his pro-style of play and pocket QB ncaa career.

I believe the thinking was it didn't matter which one the Colts took, we wanted the other guy just as much.

~Bang

^

This exactly.

Also, someone pointed out Luck's record vs teams with winning records is awful compared to teams with losing records. Could have been selective stay picking because I don't really care that much. Found it interesting though.

No coach will "tank a game" or a season after training camp

In order to truly tank a season you have to make those personnel and schematic decisions in March/April/May and put forth a young team with minimal high end talent and a scheme that may not properly put them in position to win.

It was pretty clear the Colts had no plan in 2011 except to lose once Peyton Manning was injured. And to their credit they did a damn good job of executing that plan. 

This.  I'd say only ~30% of players in the NFL can confidently say they'll be on a roster next season.  The only way to tank a season would be to have the general manager put together a completely inferior roster, which needs to be planned well in advance.  There's no way the guys on the team aren't working their hardest to succeed.  Most of them have no idea if they'll have an NFL paycheck next season.

The Colts tanked to get Luck. They weren't going to deal away what they worked so hard to get.

Yup, they completely tanked a la San Antonio to get Duncan.  Sickening yet brilliant how they go from one great one to the next by being disgustingly bad.  That is why I in no way want to win more games for pride or anything this season.  It will not "give confidence for next season", nor will it "show us what we have in Cousins and McCoy.  Keep Robert in there, and he either improves and we have hope or he stinks and we get a high draft pick.  Don't care what the other players think, they can play hard from their end.  With that high draft pick we pillage some team that really wants Winston or Mariota.  

is this seriously a question? like...actually? you ACTUALLY think the colts would have let us have the first pick of the draft in exchange for 3 first round picks just so we could get the guy THEY wanted? woooowwwww. what is logic lol

Not what I am saying. Look at the time line.  The Colts cut Peyton in March, Peyton signs with the Broncos March 20th, the draft is April 6.  In that time the Skins could have talked to the Colts before the combine.  We could have spoke to the Colts and package drafts picks, giving the Colts the option to either cut of keep Peyton.  That would give the Colts the ability to evaluate what Peyton had left.  They could have taken our picks and build a stronger team around him.  That would in my opinion give them a better chance at winning the SB within the last 3 years.  Let's be honest Luck's division sucks.  Peyton would have carved it up like he does in Denver.  You would give the Colts three first round picks.  Use your logic...in 2012 alone they could have drafted RG3, or even Russel Wilson. What I am saying is the Colts were a good team before Peyton went down.  They could have been in the SB that last few years.  We would have our franchise QB, and them a few SB appearances.   They only wanted Luck because they thought Peyton was washed up. 

The colts werent going to trade. I was against the trade at the get go...BECAUSE...there was another option....

See -Its OUR fault this happened. We were all screaming about our owner, and how he plays fantasy football, and how the Redskins Org keeps signing has beens...so....Danny made a trade. To get RG3.  The other option was Payton Manning.  We were in the running, and he wanted to face his brother twice a year.  

I use to argue the RG3 was hit or miss -But Payton Manning was probably fully healed and wouldn't cost us draft pics and would give us 3 or 4 great years.  In 2012 I told someone "I guess I was wrong". Now "I guess I was right"  

Some of you all must seriously be kidding yourselves if you still can't acknowledge that Luck is a far better QB than RG3.

All the criticisms that were there before that draft still stand today. Luck may have his struggles but good God, the guy is going to be delivering the goods for the Colts for at least the next 10 years.Where will RG3 be in that time? Maybe a bench player for another team?  I see people citing his (Luck's) weak division and our weak O-line as reasons for him not really being any better than RG3. You must watch different games on a different planet than I do. Just admit that Luck will (most likely) always be the superior talent. (I'll still keep the fingers crossed that RG3 can very rapidly develop but it's not looking too promising lately).

This is just a guess, but if Robert is still playing in 7 years, I would bet $100 that he has at least 1 SB victory and more SBs that Luck.  Of course, with his injury history, 7 years is unlikely.

Archived