Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LES: Chimpanzees could be granted 'human rights' in landmark court ruling

China

Chimpanzees could be granted 'human rights' in landmark court ruling

A chimpanzee could be granted rights previously reserved for humans in a landmark legal hearing in the US this week.

Tommy the chimp may be entitled to "legal personhood" according to animal rights lawyer Steven Wise who is seeking to extend rights historically reserved for humans to other intelligent animals.

The 26-year-old animal currently lives in a "dark, dank shed" in upstate New York. Mr Wise is seeking a ruling that Tommy has been unlawfully imprisoned and should be released to a santuary.

He claims a victory in the case could lead to other animals - including dolphins and elephants - being given rights previously reserved for humans.

"The next argument could be that Tommy ... also has the right to bodily integrity, so he couldn't be used in biomedical research," said Mr Wise, from Boston.

Click on the link for the full article

I don't know that I agree with personhood rights, but I think that generally speaking, if people understood how hyper aware and intelligent chimps, dolphins, and elephants were, they would really think differently about their captivity.

I applaud the Baltimore Aquarium for looking to do away with their dolphin exhibits. They're far too intelligent and social to be swimming circles in a tank.

Isn't there a limit on how many persons the planet can support?

If we grant person hood to chimps we will have to take it away from someone else ... humans from Florida and Texas are the obvious candidates.

Heh, we are Gods.....persons are best left to the inferior 

Isn't there a limit on how many persons the planet can support?

If we grant person hood to chimps we will have to take it away from someone else ... humans from Florida and Texas are the obvious candidates.

I heard recently that if everybody in the world lived as closely together as people in New York city, everybody could fit in Texas. Don't know how true that is, but nonetheless, just take away California and be done with it.

Pretty sure this is how Planet of the Apes starts

Or the dolphin invasion.

Archived