Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sky is Falling Thread

MusicCitySkin

This team HAS talent. We have excellent receivers a very good (if fragile) receiving TE. We have a franchise LT and a pro bowl RB. We have great potential at QB in RGIII (yes really) and at worst a good backup in Cousins. On defense we have a good linebacking group and potential at corner in Amerson and Breeland.

The problem is that the holes and issues we have are stopping us capitalizing on the talent we have. O'Line is a big issue and it's not surprise to anyone. We drafted a couple of players but they need time to step up - that time might be now. D'Line is good if Hatcher and Cofield stay healthy - but they are hurt or knicked up at least and not getting younger.

Even if we fix the lines (easier said than done) talent alone is not enough. You have to create a culture of winning and finding a way to win in an organization that has a culture of losing and finds ways to lose. There are teams with a lot less talent than the Redskins with better records right now.

Edit. Also in this era of free agency and salary cap injuries at key positions will kill you. We have lost our starting QB, starting LT, starting TE, starting CB and NT. Not many teams survive that.

No home-field advantage.....as usual.  National television beatdown.....as usual. New coach embarrassed......as usual.  In the cellar of the NFC East.....as usual. 

I miss the days when a Redskins loss would sour my week; now it's "meh" as I'm numb to the sorry product on the field.  Wash, rinse, and repeat.

......but hey, we've got three dusty Superbowl trophies to lean back on when arguing with Eagles fans, right?

Hail to the Redskins.....let's regroup for the Seahawks. 

Lol at the Griffin fanboys thinking things will be different when he's back. Talk about delusional.

What is a Griffin fanboy? 

I never understood this kind of mentality. If the man puts on a burgundy and gold jersey and leads his team on the field everyone should be a fan. Win or lose.

Cousins will rebound from last night and Griffin will be solid when he comes back.

The offensive line is bad. It's been neglected for far too long. Outside of Trent, the rest would be back up's on other teams. Polumbus and Chester might not even be in the league. I suppose that putting in Moses and Long at this point isn't the answer, but if we are staring at 1-6, might as well. Lauvo is STILL a mystery FA sign to me. Litch is serviceable.

I've read all the back and fourth on our QB's and I'm not in one camp over the other as I just want who ever is back there to win. Kirk probably just showed us he's the backup for a reason, but that's not a bad thing because he's a good backup. The question is whether Robert is truly the guy or not. I'm not sure that trying to force him to be a "pocket passer" is the right call for his career or skill set, but he can't stay healthy whatever style he plays apparently. Dude popped his ankle out just running to the sideline.

Our RB's are solid. I feel bad that we might be wasting Alf on this team. I like Redd's potential. Our WR's are solid. Garçon has heart and fight I wish everyone on the team did. DJax is great, but 9 yards? Reed is a talent, but is glass. If he comes back by week 6, not doubt he's concussed again by week 10.

Our D line had me excited with the way the were bottling up the run, but with Cofield out, and Hatcher not right, they are getting no push and are average at best. Orakpo is so overrated and why he's getting paid is beyond me. Kerrigan can be good, but disappears. Riley can't cover Haslett, get a clue. The secondary is a joke. The DHall injury is going to hurt real bad. I was excited for Dookie Nacho but he's already gone. We all know Clark is good but he can't do it all. With the D line getting stonewalled, this secondary will be torched all year.

Our special teams are a joke just like they have been since like forever. Since Brian Mitchell forever. I've never seen a team with such issues on teams. It's a Mötley Crüe of errors out there. I'm always waiting for the blocked or shanked punt, the blocked or missed field goal, or the inevitable block in the back that tacks on an extra 10 for whoever we just punted too. I mean it's just laughable. I see people calling for Danny Smith back. I want to lol at that, but I guess Pitt isn't having these issues?

The RG3 trade may have been a big swing and a miss, or could be the best move we've ever made. We'll have to wait until week 11 to try and see again. I want to give this new regime a fair shot, but it's not new in the sense that Hasnot still runs the D. We are tired and weary. We are always hoping for next year. We don't have enough #1's next year to fix this. Vinny, Salary Cap penalties and multiple draft choices traded away (many before the RG3 trade) have left us where we are. I don't know what the answers are. We just have to take it and hope against hope that something starts going our way. A good start would be not having anymore body bag games. We don't have the depth. The way this team operates, I wouldn't be surprised if Kirk light up the Seahawks just to mess with us. Hail

It gets tougher year after year to deal with this crap, that's for sure. Last year, for the first time in my fandom, I began turning games off early and trying to do something positive with my day. I think the worst thing is just the HUMILIATING way we lose. Losing is bad enough, but we seem to relish doing it in spectacular, record-setting fashion. Oh, and on national tv, of course; that goes without saying. 

Have to laugh at "can't turn it around overNIGHT." Really? Over a NIGHT? How about over two decades? Is that reasonable? 

There's just nothing to say anymore. Venting used to help a little. Now nothing does. The numbness is setting in. Now we don't even have a quarterback controversy. No, we have to stare straight into the abyss of this suck-laden franchise unflinchingly, no "maybe Kirk is the answer" nonsense to keep us preoccupied with false hope. 

I am generally the optimist in my group of friends. I always buy in to whatever the new direction is and then have the rug pulled out from under me. 

I was sure that finally Allen and Shanahan would get this organization back on the right track. After a couple bad years, I was at least comfortable knowing that we made a bold and risky, yet necessary move to land our franchise QB. A few injuries and erratic play later, I actually thought that we might have lucked into a lower-round solution at QB if Griffin was unable to stay healthy. I certainly have been enjoying everything so far about the newest young and hungry head coach. 

But it just seems that no matter who picks the players, who coaches, or who plays the script is the same in 2014 as it was in 2013, 2010, 2008, 2002, 1998, 1995, etc. 

It is so demoralizing being a fan of this team. Something has to go right soon...

The reasons this season doesn't hurt as badly as other seasons

- Other DC teams are doing well. Between Nationals playoffs and the Wizards season, I can't get too down on the Skins right now.

- I'm used to it. Its not like this is my first time down this lane.

- We still have a stronger core than in previous years. Maybe this isn't the time to bring this up, but I think RG3 is our franchise QB, and I think Cousins is a good backup for him. Having a franchise QB makes a whole lot of difference because even last year we had chances in the end of I think like 10 of the 13 games he played.

- This is more evidence for us to fire Haslett. If this is done though (1) I hope it comes from Gruden / Allen and not Dan Snyder (remember Zorn) (2) And I hope its done professionally, as other candidates are watching

- I'm also going to throw my Terps into that first category. I'm not expecting them to win the big ten or anything, but I can turn to them right now to help me through this stretch.

I mean did most of you expect that this was gonna be a good season? 

Going into this season we all should have known this team would need to be carried by the 'O'. 

The D is beyond terrible. We had arguably one of the worst defenses in the history of the league last year and what did we do to improve it? Sign Jason Hatcher..a guy who had prob 60% of his sacks last season against us. 

Sign Rak to a franchise tag which is still a joke to me. When you're defense is terrible and your O-line is garbage you dont spend that kind of cash on one player. Its beyond stupid. 

I think the biggest question to ask is who do you pick in the top 1-3? 

The "sky" has been falling for 20+ years now people.  Open your F'ing eyes.

This loss,....this,......blowout debacle is just another symptom a fundamentally flawed organization that do their best (and have been successful at it) on sell the fans false hope every year.  

It doesn't matter who the coach(es) is/are, who the players are, what schemes they run,.....the out come is generally the same.  Failure.

I'm F'ing sick and tired of it.  I'm sick of the excuses.  I tell myself every year that I'm not going to allow myself to get emotionally invested, and for the most part my emotional side for the team has diminished greatly over that past several years.  But these nationally televised games that they generally get jobbed in sting just that much more.  Truly embarrassing and it gets more difficult each year to call myself a Skins fan.

I knew this year would be transitional, new coach, new system, RG3 developing, etc.  Thought the defense would better and saw 7-8 wins as a competitive team.  Well,.....I seriously can't see them winning more than maybe 4 at this point. 

I tend to hold out some hope several weeks into the season but I'm checking out early this year.  I'll still watch but in a very disengaged fashion. 

I am tired. Tired of rooting for the Redskins. I don't think I could stop if I tried, but lord knows I am tired.

Yeah man me too. Every year I somehow trick myself into thinking we'll be a competent team and then I'm body slammed back to reality. I think we should all just stop buying Redskins gear until we're competent again.

The sky is not falling. That ****er fell decades ago and we're still picking up the pieces.

We've been picking them up for so long because we keep fumbling them

I mean did most of you expect that this was gonna be a good season? 

Going into this season we all should have known this team would need to be carried by the 'O'. 

The D is beyond terrible. We had arguably one of the worst defenses in the history of the league last year and what did we do to improve it? Sign Jason Hatcher..a guy who had prob 60% of his sacks last season against us. 

Sign Rak to a franchise tag which is still a joke to me. When you're defense is terrible and your O-line is garbage you dont spend that kind of cash on one player. Its beyond stupid. 

I think the biggest question to ask is who do you pick in the top 1-3?

Whoever we do pick will be a bust. I am just at the point where it doesn't even matter because we cannot do anything competently. Not 1 damn thing. I am checked out until they begin to resemble a competent football team. I don't think that's asking much. Maybe not get blown out on national tv for once. I don't even care if they win at this point. Its a win to me when they don't get embarrassed. That's sad

the sky is not falling. i strongly believe that this team will be 4-3 after 3 straight wins. if i am wrong, i will admit that i was wrong. i will honestly, 100% come back here after week 7 if i was wrong, and post my apologies. in my opinion this team is just too talented to keep losing. we showed fight last week and gave philly a great game. then lost 4 days later. it was a short week. Hail to the redskins and just burn this game tape and start preparing for Seattle.

Honestly, god bless you dude. I wish I could have that blind optimism.

But... I thought Desean Jackson was the missing piece?

Wasn't he supposed to be so good that the Redskins would win double digit games after losing 13, and Philadelphia's offense would completely fall apart without him moving the safeties back 20 yards? What happened there?

But... I thought Desean Jackson was the missing piece?

Wasn't he supposed to be so good that the Redskins would win double digit games after losing 13, and Philadelphia's offense would completely fall apart without him moving the safeties back 20 yards? What happened there?

Yeah similar to when you guys thought T.O. was the missing piece but still couldn't win the Super Bowl. Maybe one day you guys will know what it's like to win one.

But for real.. I'm 21 years old and have seen the Redskins have about 2 winning seasons in my existence on this planet. It has gotten to the point where I honestly believe that we are cursed. New coach, new scheme, new regime, new personal, it all adds up to the same exact thing. We just have this dark cloud over our head that rains on whoever comes in. We have a culture of losing and it will not change until we can string together consecutive seasons of competence. Which shouldn't even be that hard!!!!

Yup, and that dark cloud's name is Daniel Snyder.

Well where do we begin?? Or end?? I went into this game thinking if we can repeat last weeks offensive performance defensive injuries aside we could win this game by a touchdown or two. But instead we sit here wondering where the basement will end up.

This team clearly didn't not have any intensity carry over from the Eagles game....none what so ever. That was the first issue. We are now eight consecutive losses inside the division. Clearly kirks shortfall is picking up blitzes. He showed the inept ability over and over since the second half of the Eagles game. But Kirk aside what did we really expect from him? I'm not trashing him by any means he does have talent but you can't win by just him.

When two thirds of the team are atrocious you can't win games. Special teams stunk again. Roberts called a fair catch when he had at least 15-20 yards open in front of him. We nearly had one pat blocked again. Coverage overall was shaky at best. There were plenty of wide open receivers. Defensively we knew the secondary was going to be an issue and clearly it was. Mix in Orakpo's cast reducing his pass rush and that set up a sh@tshow on that side.

But as I finish up my congratulatory text messages friends and coworkers are sending me I'm looking on the bright side..... The run game was still strong. And in the words of the assistant coach from Unnecessary Roughness "let's evaluate what's been working for us" "Not a god damn thing has been working for us!!!!"

As look forward to next week we have 11 days of rest before we get pummeled by the Seahawks again!! We do have a first round pick this year and that's great news right?!? Well what the hell do we spend it on? Secondary should be a concern or how about another bookshelf linebacker after Orakpo leaves(has done nothing to convince me of big money). Who knows. How about a first string TE? Jordan while great can't stay on the field. Hey let's look at our special teams led by our military styled coach. His presence hasn't changed anything so who do you blame there? You want to look at Haslett? His best defensive rank as coach has been 15th I believe in his coaching career. He's doing it his way now remember?

So as we stand today who are we as a team? I don't put this all on gruden he inherited some of this but also signed on for some of this. I don't want to hear about rebuilding. I simply don't. I don't want to hear about give Kirk time I don't simply don't. I've seen this garbage over and over for at least 15-20 years.

But I will continue to watch because that's what I do and what I have become used to as a Redskins fan. Sorry had to vent.

Cuz RG3 would've made all the difference stopping Eli on defense last night.

How many of Eli's drives were on short fields because of our Starting QB throwing a pic?

Giants Drive Chart

15:00 - 1:38 - NYG 20 - 4 - 30 Punt

10:42 - 3:07 - WAS 24 - 6 - 24 Touchdown

06:00 - 2:32 - NYG 20 - 3 - 7 Punt

01:59 - 2:45 - NYG 25 - 6 - 75 Touchdown

08:50 - 6:34 - NYG 33 - 12 - 67 Touchdown

01:16 - 1:16 - NYG 18 - 8 - 71 Field Goal

12:57 - 3:08 - NYG 20 - 6 - 29 Punt

07:50 - 1:26 - WAS 21 - 5 - 15 Interception

05:38 - 1:19 - WAS 35 - 4 - 35 Touchdown

03:33 - 2:15 - NYG 7 - 4 - 26 Punt

00:29 - 1:22 - WAS 22 - 5 - 22 Touchdown

11:30 - 5:25 - WAS 46 - 9 - 46 Touchdown

04:45 - 4:30 - NYG 29 - 7 - 15 Punt

That's 28 points they got mainly because of starting field position. I'm not saying that we would have stopped their drives had we not turned it over, but they only drove down the field three times with 2 TDs and a FG on those three rives.

Archived