Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sky is Falling Thread

MusicCitySkin

It doesn't matter who the head coach is...

It doesn't matter who the QB is...

It doesn't matter who we draft...

It doesn't matter who we sign as a free agent...

It doesn't matter who the GM is...

The results have been the same for the past 20+ years.  Why should I think anything will change?  This years team shows similar problems we've seen all along.  Maybe we get a nice winning streak this year or next, but no sustained success. 

I mean did most of you expect that this was gonna be a good season? 

Going into this season we all should have known this team would need to be carried by the 'O'. 

The D is beyond terrible. We had arguably one of the worst defenses in the history of the league last year and what did we do to improve it? Sign Jason Hatcher..a guy who had prob 60% of his sacks last season against us. 

Sign Rak to a franchise tag which is still a joke to me. When you're defense is terrible and your O-line is garbage you dont spend that kind of cash on one player. Its beyond stupid. 

I think the biggest question to ask is who do you pick in the top 1-3? 

I fully agree, the silver lining is that it was only a one year commitment, not a 5-6 yr deal.  If the skins restructure Trent Williams next year, they could be looking at $20+ mil in cap space.

I can accept the play of the Redskins last night.  The humongous problem for me is the amount of 15 yard penalties, self-inflicted wounds, we collect.  Cousins played like a QB who was starting his 6th game, the Oline played like a unit that hasn't seen any significant upgrade in a half decade, the overall team played like they were adjusting to yet another coach after another regime has taken over.

We, as fans, have to keep things in perspective.  The front office has to learn to be patient.  We have been hamstrung by the loss of the $36 million fine and it's showing up in different spots (Polumbus still having a job, the secondary not having an entrenched group of competent starters, no o-line depth, no d-line depth etc).

For all of the people railing on our young QBs, chill!!!  They are playing behind a patchwork quilt of a line.  RGIII and Cousins are afraid...and for good reason.  However, the guys on that line are giving us great effort every week.  They're just outmatched.

We're not as bad as last night, and we're not as good as the game vs. J-ville.  We exist in that grey area in between.  Until we have a full complement of draft picks, area able to unload the also-rans that were signed  during that cap penalty, and have some real, substantive continuity on the sidelines this will be our reality.

The sky is falling?  What sky?  We exist somewhere beneath the underdog where there is little light and nowhere to go but up.

Hail!!!

Just like a Fortune 500 it all starts at the top. The CEO and in the Skins case, the owner. I just wish Dan Synder would sale the team. The culture starts with him and works it way down in the organization. True for any major corporation.

We gave up, what, 24 points on turnovers? Considering 5 of them were Cousins' fault, I think a competent QB would have helped.

maybe ... but seems like there might be a theme going ... its early yet ...

RG3 vs. quality D-Line ... nothing deep, short passes, 1 TD ... crappy loss would have been crappier if the Texans offense was moderately good

KC1 vs. quality D-Line ... INT, INT, INT, INT, INT ... couple scores surprisingly and a humilating loss cause the Giants do have a moderately good offense

EXPOSED:

O-Line is weak

D-Line is weak

MLB are weak

CBs are weak

Ss are weak

ST are weak

Kicker is weak

TEs are injured

QBs are ineffective

Don't worry, this team will pick us up soon! .....only to slam us back down again.

yep, they will try to play just well enough to lure you back in and pay attention and then we will suck.

How many times do we have to be completely embarrassed on national television.

The defense looks GOD AWFUL! We can't cover anyone. Why dont we blitz more? They cant cover so you might as well maybe try and get to the qb.

Even with all the mistakes it was a 10 point game WITH the ball late in the 3rd.

I told my friends in the stands before the snap that 3rd and 3 from our 43 with about 8 minutes to go in the third was the play of the game. Of course, I was referring to potentially converting a third down or, at worst, having to punt. Ugh. 

But, we had some momentum back (scored to start the half, got the Giants off the field relatively quickly, and had already converted a first down). Any points on that drive and the game is considerably more competitive. That interception and the Paulsen fumble in the red zone that swung a possible 21-10 or 21-14 game to a 24-7 game were enormous turning points. 

Dude even 2012 RG3 wouldn't have helped tonight.

I disagree with that.

2012 RGIII would have had that entire team believing, and it would have mattered a lot.  Would they have won? Maybe not.  But they would have been in it all the way to the end.

People forget HOW good Robert was in 2012.  He threw 5 picks the entire year.  Cousins threw 4 last night.  

The threat of the R/O allowed Morris to rumble for 1500 yards.  

To say that the 2012 Griffin couldn't have made a difference is a revisionist version of history.  It's like saying that if Peyton was the QB last night, it wouldn't have mattered.  Newsflash: If Peyton was the QB last night, the 'Skins might have won.  QB play is so important, and it matters so much.  

The real problem is that the 2012 Griffin might no longer exist.  Which really, and truly, makes me want to cry.  

As I posted in the gameday thread, this team just did everyone a huge favor.  By letting us know early that this is going to be another 10+ loss season, we get our Sundays back.  Two of my kids play travel soccer on Sundays, and at the beginning of the season I was worried about having to record the 'skins games while I was taking the kids to soccer and avoiding following the game on my phone, but now I'm wondering, why bother?  Why hurry home to watch another train wreck like last night?  We can now start making other plans for Sundays - catch a movie, do some yard work, take a nap, etc.  No drama about making the playoffs, etc., for this team.  Time of focus on the offseason again, and how we'll spend that top 5 pick. 

exactly, i dedicate so much time to seeing the redskins games. I realized I have a lot more of my sundays free now. I'll watch when i can but i wont plan my life around it. It is a favor knowing from early on that we are absolutely horrible. I can take losing, but looking utterly incompetent really pisses me off. Why can't they look like they belong in the same league. So frustrating to watch

You know you're having a really bad night when you look at your friends in Giants jerseys next to you and say "Tress Way is the best player on my team."

Hilarious because I did this exact thing.

The sad reality is two of our most important players - orakpo and Robert - have this "I have nothing to prove," kind I attitude. We have talent out the ass in many positions but no team is built to withstand the amount of injuries we have. Both quarterbacks on our team have the skills but seriously lack any form of consistently solid play. They are unreliable.

Our front 7, while very good, is completely hamstrung by an extremely week secondary that has lost one of its best in Dhall (as much a statement about the secondary as it is dhall's talent level at this stage of his career). And the front 7 has injuries of it's own. Kerrigan is the only fully healthy front 7 player we have and it showed last night.

Bottom line: our defense was about what we expected last night - final score looks bad but 45 points when you turn the ball over 6 times? Sounds about right. It was the offense that utterly let us down. We didn't get our playmakers the ball and we got down early off of turnovers and had to run the ball less.

We never fail to totally and utterly **** ourselves over. It is cyclical between special teams, offense and defense. I truly feel bad for guys like Ryan Clark and jay gruden. They fight their asses off and come away confused and lost as to how we suck this bad because truly it is most often inexplicable.

To be fair, if Philly had the type of injuries we have they would struggle too.  But here is my thing, I was saying this before the game last night.  Kirk is an entirely different QB under constant pressure from the defense.  You shouldn't even count the Jacksonville game as far as his play and stats go... Jon Beck would've made that team look like swiss cheese.  Against Philly our offensive line won the trenches battle and kept Kirk safe and a clean pocket to throw from.  Even more so then RGIII, I think Kirk needs a solid offensive line to be an quality starter for an entire season.  He will show flashes like he has, but he will also have games regularly like the one last night once he plays a team with excellent pass rushers.

There was a comment made during the game last night that frightens the hell out of me.  The Jaguar game we had 10 sacks.  For the entire season, we have 10 sacks.  I think we all got fooled into thinking our Dline/LBs were better then we thought.  Hurry back Barry Cofield, we need more depth on the dline!

That Jax game was fool's gold  We were blitzing like crazy against a weak o-line and lousy receivers.  Last night on one play Hatcher was triple teamed, leaving Orakpo, Kerrigan, and one other guy only needing to win a one on one battle.  None of them got close, even sniffed Manning.   

it could be worse ... our punter looks really good ... 49.9 yd/punt ... and he's got 1 solo tackle ... maybe he can play safety?

Honestly, I think we have several impact players.  What we don't have are the glue guys.  The lunch pail guys who do their jobs, and don't make mistakes.  Sad, because a lot of times those guys are my favorite players.

I think you are over estimating the number of impact players ... asuming you mean impact in a good way

Hilarious because I did this exact thing.

The sad reality is two of our most important players - orakpo and Robert - have this "I have nothing to prove," kind I attitude. We have talent out the ass in many positions but no team is built to withstand the amount of injuries we have. Both quarterbacks on our team have the skills but seriously lack any form of consistently solid play. They are unreliable.

Our front 7, while very good, is completely hamstrung by an extremely week secondary that has lost one of its best in Dhall (as much a statement about the secondary as it is dhall's talent level at this stage of his career). And the front 7 has injuries of it's own. Kerrigan is the only fully healthy front 7 player we have and it showed last night.

Bottom line: our defense was about what we expected last night - final score looks bad but 45 points when you turn the ball over 6 times? Sounds about right. It was the offense that utterly let us down. We didn't get our playmakers the ball and we got down early off of turnovers and had to run the ball less.

We never fail to totally and utterly **** ourselves over. It is cyclical between special teams, offense and defense. I truly feel bad for guys like Ryan Clark and jay gruden. They fight their asses off and come away confused and lost as to how we suck this bad because truly it is most often inexplicable.

Meh, I'm actually more worried about the defense than the offense.  Long before the offense imploded the Giants were moving down the field like we weren't even there.  What exactly makes you think our front 7 is very good?  You might want to watch the play where the Giants got in field goal range at the end of the half.  I think you will change your mind. 

Meh, I'm actually more worried about the defense than the offense. Long before the offense imploded the Giants were moving down the field like we weren't even there. What exactly makes you think our front 7 is very good? You might want to watch the play where the Giants got in field goal range at the end of the half. I think you will change your mind.

Orakpo is playing with a jacked up hand on his dominant side (both personally and which side he plays on), Hatcher was a different player with the hamstring, Cofield is out along with Bowen and Jarvis Jenkins left the game for a while with a rib injury. So you have to keep all that in perspective.

That being said: Orakpo is overpaid. But people let that cloud the fact that while overpaid he is very solid in all phases. Kerrigan is excellent. Hatcher is unblock able when healthy. Keenan is an absolute stud. Cofield is a very solid player and even Jarvis has looked much better this year. The problem is their injuries which is only compounded by injuries on the back end.

But no man I am worried about all phases of the team but it was certainly the offense that was most alarming last night. They get the ball and immediately move it 30 yards only to give it right back. Not saying the defense played great but they never got a breather all night before we made them go right back out on the field. 6 turnovers is going to make any defense appear to have had a much poorer night than they did.

Orakpo is playing with a jacked up hand on his dominant side (both personally and which side he plays on), Hatcher was a different player with the hamstring, Cofield is out along with Bowen and Jarvis Jenkins left the game for a while with a rib injury. So you have to keep all that in perspective.

That being said: Orakpo is overpaid. But people let that cloud the fact that while overpaid he is very solid in all phases. Kerrigan is excellent. Hatcher is unblock able when healthy. Keenan is an absolute stud. Cofield is a very solid player and even Jarvis has looked much better this year. The problem is their injuries which is only compounded by injuries on the back end.

But no man I am worried about all phases of the team but it was certainly the offense that was most alarming last night. They get the ball and immediately move it 30 yards only to give it right back. Not saying the defense played great but they never got a breather all night before we made them go right back out on the field. 6 turnovers is going to make any defense appear to have had a much poorer night than they did.

Are you kidding? The defense was VERY bad last night. The offense was VERY bad also, but the defense crapped all, over themselves last night. That one long scoring drive we had gave the defense plenty of rest and they came back out there and got pushed around.

As for Orakpo. We need to find a much better option next year. And as for Kerrigan. He's good, but nothing more.

We talk about all of these defensive players, why is no one calling out Perry Riley...?????  How many times can you give up the seam route inside the redzone!!!  You know the play is coming, turn your head and make the ****ing play!!!

He is the one player to absolutely drive me up the wall on D....

Are you kidding? The defense was VERY bad last night. The offense was VERY bad also, but the defense crapped all, over themselves last night. That one long scoring drive we had gave the defense plenty of rest and they came back out there and got pushed around.

As for Orakpo. We need to find a much better option next year. And as for Kerrigan. He's good, but nothing more.

Again, if you'll read my post you'll see I said I am very concerned with all phases of our team. Specifically for last night the offense was the worst. Was there any question that meriweather and Breeland would get picked on? Absolutely not. The front 7 is very banged up so I did not expect a great game from them.

What I did expect was us to get the ball to garçon and jackson more than 3 or 4 times for less than 50 yards. I expected less than 6 turnovers. Our offense was fully healthy minus two guys who's backups are not much of a drop off (right now) from the starters in Leribeus and Cousins. So yes, that was what angered me the most.

Again, I am not saying the defense played well. They did not. But I'm not going to **** on them because with the injuries they played about as could be expected last night. It was good enough to at least keep us in the game and win if the offense did not completely **** the bed and hand them the game. There were several times in this game where the defense got us the ball and we were down 10 or less and sucked ass.

But if you were expecting more from Breeland in his first start after comin out before his senior year, or from Meriweather, porter, or Biggers with a banged up defensive line I'm not sure why.

The sky is not falling, my fellow heartbroken.................. it fell.

What we are watching is a team that is very similar to the one we saw last year. What it is that I've grown tired of seemingly is the mediots and team somehow telling me that what I see isn't the truth. Allow me to explain.........

For YEARS I could see that Tyler Poluseless was a world class turnstyle at Right Tackle. But, every time fans would express this we were told that he somehow graded out much better than our eyes told us he was. That he was a better Right Tackle than the fans gave him credit for. Yet game after game we have to watch this human pylon get abused. HE SUCKS!! TYLER POLUSELESS SUCKS!! The fans are right and the mediots/scouts/coaches are WRONG! Enough of this guy. Accountability needs to happen here. I don't care if Morgan Moses is not as good right now in practice. I don't care if he's a project. Time to give the project a chance. How much worse could he really be?

Brian Nosacko is a fraud! a stone cold fraud. I'm tired of being told he's a difference maker by the mediots/scouts/coaches. I can see with me 2 eyes that he's not. He is total failure at applying anything resembling QB pressure against even some of the worst LT in the NFL. I will not be upset in the least when he leaves and gets overpaid (as he is right now) this coming offseason. That money we're wasting on him sure would look much better being spent on one of the safeties that were free agents this past offseason.

Haslett........... we should be able to sue him for malpractice. This goes far and wide but a simple example will illustrate how incompetent he is. So Jordan Mathews (twice) and Jeremy Maclin (once) burn your defense for TD's in the red zone each running the SAME EXACT PATTERN. The seam pass right up the middle basically kills you against The Eagles. To come in the next week and not only not have a solution for this but to get burned THREE MORE TIMES WITH SAME EXACT PATTERN is pure defensive coordinator malpractice. Just putrid. I could write a novella on Haslett's failings but I let that example make my point. IT WAS NOT SHANAHAN WHO HELD HIM BACK!!! HE STINKS!!

So many failings to go around but I think the mediots/scouts/coaches can officially shove it when they tell the fans that we're wrong.

To end on a positive......... I like Gruden's candor and our Punter is great!

This!!

It doesn't matter who the head coach is...

It doesn't matter who the QB is...

It doesn't matter who we draft...

It doesn't matter who we sign as a free agent...

It doesn't matter who the GM is...

The results have been the same for the past 20+ years.  Why should I think anything will change?  This years team shows similar problems we've seen all along.  Maybe we get a nice winning streak this year or next, but no sustained success. 

So what the hell is the problems then and how to solve them?

I say scrap the Oline and rebuild that piece of junk!!!!

Not sure what to say about the ST/Defense though...

got dayum!!!

Archived