Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.Com: Chip Kelly wants us to believe Eagles cut DeSean Jackson because of his size

MustangSteve

Chip is a revolutionary. Maybe he didn't invent the wheel, but he has certainly figured out a better way to roll it down the hill. This is undeniable.

He's the smartest guy in the room, I'm pretty sure of that-- especially when you listen to people who know him.

So as a Redskin fan and anti-Eagle fan I am discouraged that he is in Philly, because I really do think he's exceptional. And I fear this "inevitable crash" stuff is wishful thinking.

Having said that, I do have some hope and I see one potential weakness: Professional arrogance. He has a little Bilicheck in him I think. What I mean by that is he is so focused and obsessed with his operating system that I wonder if they almost ignore the actual personnel.

I am not a Foles fan. Very ordinary player to me. Just a guy out there. Haven't been impressed when he's been forced to really make something out of nothing. It usually equals nothing. But most of the time he isn't asked to do much. Don't be an idiot... Get the ball to the right guy in the flat at the right time and throw accurately to the TE or WR over the middle on ocassion. He seems like a smart enough guy and has enough arm to get the ball where it needs to go. But he's a pretty "eh" guy to me overall. And really, outside of McCoy I kind of feel that way about their entire roster. OL is above average, but the WRs are just random dudes out there you'd find on any roster. Defense is similar.... They mostly do enough to allow the offense to win games for them, but not a special unit or a particularly scary one. They are absolutely a sum that is more than their parts and that is a great credit to Chip.

But talent does matter.

If they thought DJax was a player that was no longer helping them or actually hurting them, then they were right to release him. But they made no serious effort to replace him... Sort of the BB approach in NE. The "we will just find a division III QB and convert him to slot WR" approach. Almost as if they'd RATHER beat you with scrubs. I think it's caught up to the Pats in NE a bit in bigger games against more talented teams--- and my "hope" is that the same thing happens in Philly.

Didn't Chris carter have massive drug abuse issues? Wasn't he in trouble off the field? How does that compare to Desean Jackson in anyway?

Yes, people rip the Eagles for cutting him, but they had little choice. He was basically a junkie and being released was the start of his rehab. Not really the Eagles fault on that one.

That story is as likely as the time when I told everybody in my HS class that I had banged the captain of the cheerleaders behind the bleachers during halftime at a football game while her boyfriend, the star QB of the football team, was in the lockerooom preparing for the second half. Both stories are equally far-fetched, neither were accurate, and anybody with a brain could see through either one.

(Though, I really do wish mine was true. :P )

Your HS had male cheerleaders? I thought that was more of a college thing....

Sorry :) Probably get banned for that joke in today's climate

As Chip has said multiple times, Darren Sproles is a running back, not a receiver. You shouldn't be surprised that Chip has different physical criteria for receivers and running backs. Chip values size in receivers because he has observed that defensive backs are getting bigger and he wants receivers who can match up with those defenders, beat press coverage, and contest for passes. Even more importantly, perimeter blocking by receivers is key to the success of the running attack in a Chip Kelly offense. Receivers at Oregon were told "no block, no rock". In the article I just linked to, it said

none of this explains Riley cooper, unless he's going for the "can't get open and cant catch" approach.

A sorrier set of receivers may not be found in the league.

Maclin's a bum, and Cooper wakes up and apologizes to bums every morning for giving bums a bad name.

~Bang

Jeremy Maclin: 6'0", 198 lbs

The Grand Wizard 6'4", 230 lbs

Jordan Matthews 6'3", 212 lbs

Brad Smith 6'2", 213 lbs

Jeff Maehl 6'0" 184 lbs

Josh Huff 5'11", 206 lbs

the funny thing is .. this is supposed to be about "wide receivers"..  guys who "catch the football"

not sure what anyone on this list has to do with that.

~BAng

Chip Kelly is definitely overrated.

I mean, 3 OL are out, Foles hasn't been his normal awesome self through two weeks, Shady hasn't been able to get it going, the starting WRs have disappointed.....

Yet his is fielding the top scoring and yardage producing offense in the league. 

He is a man amongst boys.  I think visionary is too weak a term to use to describe the man. 

Once the players get healthy and normal players start playing towards their norm, Oregon scores might start to become commonplace each week the Eagles play. 

Yet his is fielding the top scoring and yardage producing offense in the league.

And, over the same period, the Redskins have the best defense.

Both statistics are equally valid, right?

Heck, the Eagles are producing almost as many points per game as the Redskins backup QB has been producing, while missing last year's leading receiver, and with his RB having a below average production.

Obviously, Captain kirk is a Man Amongst Boys, right?

----------

Just jerkin your chain, guy, It's nice to see such unabashed homerism.

Keep it up. It's cute.

I mean, 3 OL are out, Foles hasn't been his normal awesome self through two weeks, Shady hasn't been able to get it going, the starting WRs have disappointed.....

He is a man amongst boys.  I think visionary is too weak a term to use to describe the man. 

Once the players get healthy and normal players start playing towards their norm, Oregon scores might start to become commonplace each week the Eagles play.

How are the Mongols doing?

A whole lot of points and still no trophies...

Your HS had male cheerleaders? I thought that was more of a college thing....

Sorry :) Probably get banned for that joke in today's climate

I don't trembler what the title was. Head cheerleader? Captain of the cheerleaders? Not sure.

But it was a girl, and she was smoking hot. Was also prom queen. Went on to become a swimsuit model. (Daydream commencing) Amazingly, she was also really nice.

Didn't Chris carter have massive drug abuse issues? Wasn't he in trouble off the field? How does that compare to Desean Jackson in anyway?

You only asked about a team cutting their best receiver in his prime. You didn't specify a particular reason why they were cut. Cris Carter was just shy of his 25th birthday when he was cut, Desean was 27. They were cut for different reasons, but both were top receivers cut in their prime years i.e. not when they were 37 years old and over the hill.

If this was about size, then that fat slob should have said so instead of making up some bull **** story about Desean rolling with the Crips.

Chip Kelly never said anything about Desean and the alleged gang ties. That story came from an investigative journalism report. Desean himself admitted he hangs with gang members but 'not if they are doing negative things'.

He is a man amongst boys. I think visionary is too weak a term to use to describe the man.

funny how iggs fans discount Washington because their win "came against the jags" but tout drip's offensive genius because he beat those same jags... that about right?

Well lets not forget they beat the jaguars like us and we didn't go down 17-0 to do it either. They beat the Colts who we all know have a suspect D and if you watched that game it was one of the worse game Luck has played, still the Colts run on their asses...THE COLTS run the ball LOL. Anyway Sunday is only two days away, we will see.

Chip is a revolutionary. Maybe he didn't invent the wheel, but he has certainly figured out a better way to roll it down the hill. This is undeniable.

He's the smartest guy in the room, I'm pretty sure of that-- especially when you listen to people who know him.

Yeh I am not as sold on Chip as you are. Feels more like the wildcat, or our own read option year. As defenses see it more they will be able to stop it, I have no doubt. It is all about personnel. It only works because they have McCoy and now Sproles. Probably the two best guys in the NFL for the screen game. I am much more sick about them getting Sproles than Chip. Regardless that Defense isn't as good as it has looked, and it hasn't looked great.

We have seen the offense get stoned, I mean shut out for the first half of the Jags game...yeh those Jags. Not entirely convinced we have the right ingredients to stop them, but as long as we keep swarming and sure tackling, I am almost expecting to hold them under 20 points. 

Yeh I am not as sold on Chip as you are. Feels more like the wildcat, or our own read option year. As defenses see it more they will be able to stop it, I have no doubt. It is all about personnel. It only works because they have McCoy and now Sproles.

It is about the personnel, but not in the way you think.

Chip Kelly doesn't have a fixed, static, rigid "gimmicky" offense that he then tries to find players to fit into. He has certain basic principles that he believes in - spread out the offense and force the defense to defend the entire field, operate at a fast tempo to force defenses to simplify their alignments and perhaps catch them off guard like he did in the 49-yard Sproles TD run against Jacksonville, tire out the opposing defense with tempo, have a balanced attack that forces the defense to "choose their poison", maximize explosive plays and minimize explosive plays by the opposition, win the turnover battle - and then he customizes his approach to best utilize the personnel he has.  He makes the system fit the personnel he has, not the other way around.

“Our system has always revolved around our players,” Kelly said Thursday. “It's always been personnel driven. The first premise of what we do offensively is, what do we have deployed to us from a personnel standpoint, and how do we put those guys in the best situation so they can be successful? It's never been the other way around. If these are the guys we have right now, how do we best use them?”

“It always changes,” Kelly said. “I’ve said it from day one: Your offense is always personnel-driven. The biggest thing you have to do is identify the skill sets that you have and then adjust to those skill sets. And that’s what football’s always been. Our offense has changed every year I’ve been in charge of the offense whether I was at New Hampshire, at Oregon or here. Our quarterbacks had different skill sets. We ran more power running plays when Jeremiah Masoli was our quarterback [at Oregon]. He was an outstanding runner. He was different than Darron Thomas. Darron was more of a pocket passer and could do some different things. Darron was actually really good at throwing on the run, also.

“So whatever their strengths are, you try to cater to those. That’ll always be the case. We’ve got some new guys. So we’ll tweak what we’re doing based on what their skill sets are as we continue to evaluate here and say, ‘Hey, how do we run this?… We didn’t do this much in the past. But now that we’ve got a different type of person in that situation, let’s do this.’ ”

He told Urban Meyer that if the personnel he had was best suited to running the Power I he would run the Power I.

That's why when Michael Vick was injured Chip was able to adjust the offense to maximize Nick Foles' different skill set. He didn't try to force Foles to be Vick.

That's why people who say "now there is a year's worth of film to study to figure out Chip's offense" are in for a rude surprise. Chip's offense is constantly evolving to maximize the skills of the players he currently has. Defensive coordinators studying what Chip did with Michael Vick, Desean Jackson, Jason Avant, and Bryce Brown are not going to be prepared for what Chip does with Jeremy Maclin, Jordan Matthews, and Darren Sproles. TE Zach Ertz is also going to have a much bigger role than he had last year.

Why do you trolls feel the need to come on to a Redskins site and pollute every thread with your man love for Drip Kelly?  The guy is a solid offensive coach.  So what?  

The Iggles might be a better than average team, but you're still not going to make any noise in the postseason...if you get there.  Can you see Foles winning a NFC Championship (not gonna say superbowl, you wouldn't have any frame of reference)?  

We all watched Chip Kellys debut last year, along with a panting and demoralized Redskins team. Yes, an underprepared RG3 and untimely turnovers contributed to the loss, but we all watched that game. Dreams were shattered that night. I'm not about to underestimate the offensive mind of Kelly. I hate that he is coaching in the NFC east and the Redskins best bring their "A" game to beat him.

Why do you trolls feel the need to come on to a Redskins site and pollute every thread with your man love for Drip Kelly?  The guy is a solid offensive coach.  So what?  

The Iggles might be a better than average team, but you're still not going to make any noise in the postseason...if you get there.  Can you see Foles winning a NFC Championship (not gonna say superbowl, you wouldn't have any frame of reference)?  

didnt realize this was strictly a self affirmation society.   If you think most of these posts are trolling...you just dont know trolling.

Yeah I gotta say it's pretty weird. I guess I get ODF because really he's just an Oregon/Chip fan and college fans are generally lunatics to begin with, but the Eagles fans... It's bizarre and kind of sad.

I doubt Colts fans go to Texans boards to extol the virtues of Chuck Pagano, and they're in Indiana where they don't have anything better to do.

didnt realize this was strictly a self affirmation society.   If you think most of these posts are trolling...you just dont know trolling.

It's not a self affirmation society.  You obviously haven't read any of the Cousins vs. Griffin threads.

My point is, you guys continue to show up here to tell us how great Stink Kelly tastes.  Why question is, do you not have anything better to do with your time?  

Archived