Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yahoo.Com: Chip Kelly wants us to believe Eagles cut DeSean Jackson because of his size

MustangSteve

Question: how many of those targeted DeSean Jackson?

He did have a career year last season and in looking over the stats he was targeted 40 more times than any other Eagles WR, and he caught 35 more than their next wideout on the list.

Cooper has the longest average per reception, just curious how the long passes break out.

Foles shows a very solid 9.1 yds per attempt, so they definitely moved the ball in chunks, I'm just wondering if there is some sort of stast that would show how often those chunks came in a short pass coupled with a long run, or a long pass.

~Bang

I don't have the stats in front of me but Greg Cosell was breaking down just that topic this week.... In summary he said he hadn't been impressed with Foles so far this year. I believe the number he gave was 6-18 throwing to WRs on Monday.

Foles has completed 48 passes this year: 31 to RBs and TEs and 17 to WRs. I don't have anything that shows how far down the field Foles is throwing the ball but obviously it's not traveling far on the throws to McCoy and Sproles, which accounts for 21 total receptions.

Ertz is averaging an absurd 23.3 YPC. Maclin and Matthews are both right at 18 YPC. My casual observation from watching Monday is that they don't stretch the field very often and the majority of Foles' work is done in the flat where the goal seems to simply be to get the ball to the backs in space as quickly as possible. But when they do look downfield, they look way downfield. Not a lot of intermediate routes with the WRs.

I admit, I was really jealous of Philly for getting Chip. I think he is brilliant and is going to be a thorn in our side for years.

I wish he had stayed at Oregon one more year and we could have had a chance at him

I don't think Chip is long for the NFL. I think he's a good coach but he will eventually head back to the college ranks. I don't think it will happen due to flaming out or anything like that, I just think he'll get an opportunity that he can't turn down.

Not enough respect for Kelly in this thread. He has a remarkable record and he really earned his way through the ranks, cutting his teeth for so many years at New Hampshire before Oregon came calling.

Mike Bellotti did great things with the Ducks, but Kelly took them to another level. He is very much a revolutionary football coach. Again, not saying he is the first guy in history to spread the field and run things up tempo, but he is one of, if not the first, to put it all together along with the disciplined training and nutrition program he deploys into such a well oiled machine.

Every player/coach/person has flaws as does every system. I don't think Kelly has been exposed by much of anything yet, which is a credit to him-- it's clearly a tough nut to crack in terms of preparing for his offense. At some point there will be a little bit of a regression or there will be a breakthrough on how best to defend them. A bump in the road for Kelly if you will.

At that point we will then start to get a clearer picture of exactly how good/great he is. But through one season and two games, Kelly absolutely has to be considered one of the best coaches in the league.

disagree. maybe because I hate anything iggles but he takes the same few plays and runs them over and over and over, and his players execute them to perfection. nothing revolutionary about spread concepts and that gimmicky snap every 20 seconds nonsense so we can run the same bubble screen again and again.

cooley summed it up yesterday in that thwir whole focus is running nuisance plays, do it enough times and it really frustrates a defense and leads to breakdowns, not to mention getting guys in space to exploit matchups. nobody has found a reliable way to stop it yet, but once they do I wonder what becomes of their vaunted "innovative" offense.

I don't see anything wrong with his quote. It's better than trying to bury Desean for character issues, especially when he's long gone now.

Also, 200 pound Sproles at RB is different than a 170 pound (probably underestimating a little) wide receiver.

That said, I think their mistake is our gain. And I think Chip's biggest error was saying anything at all.

disagree. maybe because I hate anything iggles but he takes the same few plays and runs them over and over and over, and his players execute them to perfection. nothing revolutionary about spread concepts and that gimmicky snap every 20 seconds nonsense so we can run the same bubble screen again and again.

The tempo + his ability to set plays up and stick to what's working is a very good trait in a coach. Plus, he knows how to adapt. He may not be revolutionary, but then again, who is? He's a good football coach and deserves that respect.

EDIT: Interesting. After talking about the possibility that one reason Desean Jackson was cut was his unwillingness or inability to block, coach Jay Gruden weighed in on Desean's ability as a blocker. I hope he was just kidding. Starts at 7:36 in this clip http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=425&f=3362973

Definitely being sarcastic

I don't think Chip is long for the NFL. I think he's a good coach but he will eventually head back to the college ranks. I don't think it will happen due to flaming out or anything like that, I just think he'll get an opportunity that he can't turn down.

You mean like when Beamer retires at VT and Chip finally realizes his destiny...

So then he signs Darren Sproles

I love the Chip Kelly kook aid being gulped by every Eagles fan in existence. The crash is going to be the most beautiful thing ever in all of sports.

:D

Just like another former E-gal flameout (then a Cowpies flameout) we remember so well ..

869bb3a819ab93f42da100ff6bfe66cd6cf6993e

I admit, I was really jealous of Philly for getting Chip. I think he is brilliant and is going to be a thorn in our side for years.

I wish he had stayed at Oregon one more year and we could have had a chance at him

There is no doubt the Eagles are very well coached and that is why they won this division last season. Sure they have talent with the best RB in football last year, but Chip did a damn good job with his team in only the 1st year. The verdict is not out on coach Gruden yet, but looking at this game player by player, I will take the Redskins any day. They have a very good chance to beat Philly tomorrow. 

My thoughts on the DJax cut.

Vick was his mentor. He looked up to Vick.

They got rid of Vick.

DJax, being a volatile personality, got upset and mouthed off at management (read: Kelly).

Kelly, not being as diplomatic and patient as Andy Reed, decided that DJax was too much for the locker room.

DJax is next seen shopping for new gear in DC.

My thoughts on the DJax cut.

Vick was his mentor. He looked up to Vick.

They got rid of Vick.

DJax, being a volatile personality, got upset and mouthed off at management (read: Kelly).

Kelly, not being as diplomatic and patient as Andy Reed, decided that DJax was too much for the locker room.

DJax is next seen shopping for new gear in DC.

but what pisses me off is that he played the Racial Stereotypes card on DJax to justify his actions when it was really something else. That's total bull. I refuse to cosign that.

We drafted Devin Thomas and Malcomb Kelly over DJax because they were bigger. That worked out well.

And they may have passed over D. Jackson because of his "off the field issues" lol, which is kinda funny considering we then paid 40+ Million for Haynesworthless. Then Philly supposedly cuts him for the same "off the field issues" and then we pick him up anyway.

That story is as likely as the time when I told everybody in my HS class that I had banged the captain of the cheerleaders behind the bleachers during halftime at a football game while her boyfriend, the star QB of the football team, was in the lockerooom preparing for the second half. Both stories are equally far-fetched, neither were accurate, and anybody with a brain could see through either one. 

(Though, I really do wish mine was true. :P  )

I think I saw that movie when i was a kid. I found the vhs in my dads sock drawer. I think her name was debbie. Was she from Dallas?

Archived