Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles' Sean McCoy Leaves 20 Cent Tip

Dan T.

Again, it sounded like service was poor. But, it cuts both ways, can't discredit the possible rudeness. Servers should rise above, patrons also should be sympathetic toward mistakes.

Aww shucks, I guess I want everyone to get along.

Doesn't sound like either one took high road. But, someone said take million dollar athlete glasses off. NFL routinely runs out company line of 'its a privilege'. Sorry, but NFL 'million dollar athletes' could (and IMO should) be held to higher standard.

Shady shoulda left tip, and when things got contentious, asked owner for new server. 'Hi, I'm Shady McCoy, I'm not happy with my service'- whaddya think owner/manager does than

More bees with honey

unprofessional to post someone's information on the web.  from the server's responses, he has no idea how to handle difficult tables.

if I wasn't in the service industry I would occasionally stiff people. not when they legitimately mess up, but when they have an attitude toward me or neglect my table.

i've worked nearly all of the positions in a restaurant. waiting is the most stressful, hence the higher amount of money they bring in. 

the kitchen guys i've worked with have been generally very good. let's not forget though that nearly 90% of people who work in kitchens can't speak English fluently. that is the main reason why they don't make as much money as servers/bartenders.

Shady shoulda left tip, and when things got contentious, asked owner for new server. 'Hi, I'm Shady McCoy, I'm not happy with my service'- whaddya think owner/manager does than

After seeing how the owner responded to the media, I'm not so sure he does anything positive. Sounds like an organization with poor management.

What possibly could a waiter do to warrant that. Ask for picture, not bring drinks fast enough, mix up order

Before reports even came out... Why did I guess this? Because it happens to everyone eventually.

And I personally try and make the best. I will state that apps were forgotten to server or manager, drinks were non-existent, or it 'seems like servers having a bad/busy day'.

Hey, I probably won't go back. But just like someone said, we don't know all the circumstances. Same for that day with server. At least grant the person 15%.

There are other ways to voice your displeasure

After seeing how the owner responded to the media, I'm not so sure he does anything positive. Sounds like an organization with poor management.

I don't agree with the owners actions, and I wonder if he would handle it 'right'. But generally speaking, this is where complaints should filter. Restaraunts have managers for these reasons

Hey, I probably won't go back. But just like someone said, we don't know all the circumstances. Same for that day with server. At least grant the person 15%.

There are other ways to voice your displeasure

As a former waiter for several restaurants, I disagree.  Waiting tables, while very difficult, and trying to even the most patient worker, is the ultimate pay-for-performance.  If waiter/waitress truly sucks they do not deserve 15% and a conv with the manager is in order as well.  But, nothing gets a waiter/waitress's attention like a low tip.  Not $0.20 low, but 10% or less.  15% for good service (no prolonged waits w/out explanations, drinks refilled, friendly service beyond order taker/food deliverer, etc.) and 20%+ for outstanding service.  On the other hand, waiters/waitresses shouldn't be held accountable to things beyond their control (like 2 out of 5 cooks calling out sick), or overcooked fish, etc.

McCoy just knew no one could catch him.

I understand and respect that. I've always tipped regardless, knowing 'pay for performance' can be harsh for a 1 time encounter. And of course, you'll rarely know all the behind the line issues.

I don't think all people agree 15% regardless, that's just me.

But if I'm clocking 7-10 mil a year, it's gonna take alot more than some missed apps and late drinks to ruin my day.

If its that egregious, I'll mention something, but still tip. Yea man, more is expected.

I'm a sous chef and I'm here to tell you not to feel bad for servers. They make more money than most of the people slaving away in the kitchen making your food, cleaning the dishes and running/bussing.  During busy periods they'll even take home more money than the Chef.  They work less hours than us, take home more money, and all they do is **** and whine about having to serve you.

But they are out there because they are, generally, amicable and courteous.  From what I've read, this dude "Rob" is/was a douche.  If the service really sucked...I don't blame Shady.

I always tip, but in theory I agree with Mr. Pink- it's not my job to pay the salary of your employees and there's no reason to expect me to pay more than I'm being charged to reward someone who didn't serve me well. And it irks me that we automatically tip bad waiters, but a store clerk who busts their butt and is friendly gets nothing (not to mention the McDonald's worker).

Everything in that waiter's comment makes me think he was terrible. He's complaining that they didn't know what they wanted to order after ten minutes? They didn't learn your name? Tough crap, pal. 

Everything in that waiter's comment makes me think he was terrible. He's complaining that they didn't know what they wanted to order after ten minutes? They didn't learn your name? Tough crap, pal. 

I agree with this and in fact it's one of the few things that makes me crazy about dining out - some waitstaff can't cope with the pace differences of their customers. Either they try to hurry people along or they don't show up. A decent wait person can tell when folks are ready to order. It's not that hard really...

Yeah I don't get people who say tip for bad service.  I mean I don't stiff people but if I get bad service (which I can't really think of many times that I have or maybe I'm just too laid back to care/noticed) but if it was horrible then why should I fork over more money to them? 

That's like me performing poorly and not caring at my job then ask for a bonus or raise.  Do your job well and you get rewarded, you don't then no reward and worse, no job.  If people just tip for the sake of tipping, even for bad service, then the servers will continue to do the same and not improve their performance because they know they can get by just by being there.

LeSean McCoy defends 20-cent tip, calls it a 'statement'

Zach Berman

Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014, 2:57 PM

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/eagles/LeSean-McCoy-on-20-cent-tip.html#ZwywzRRdMrkLmy1X.99

partnerIcon-Inquirer.jpg

LeSean McCoy said he tips based on service and did not apologize for the 20-cent tip he left for a waiter at PYT.

"The 20-cent tip was more of just a statement," McCoy said. "You can’t be disrespectful and disrespect someone, and tip [the server].

...That’s why I left my card, so they can see my name. Simple as that.”

The Eagles running back said that the waiter was "being rude and disrespectful." He stood by his record as a tipper.

"At any restaurant I go around Philadelphia, I tip very well and I’m very respectful," McCoy said, "If you check on that restaurant, the backlash they had from everybody talking bad about that place. But good food.”

The nice random kicker to this story comes via crazed actor Charlie Sheen, who offered $1,000 to McCoy's waiter. McCoy's retort: "I'm happy he's finally doing something positive."

Archived