Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Eagles are clearly the best team in the NFC East, Foles is clearly the best QB in the NFC East, Chip Kelly is GOD. Eagles 2014 thread.

Westbrook36

Credit where credit is due.  My complaint is more along the lines of hero worship.  I said he's a good coach, but listening to Troy Aikman and some others (mainly Eagle fans), you would think they should scratch Lombardi't name off the trophy and put his on it. I just think it's been over the top for a guy who hasn't won anything yet. 

They did the same thing when Pardee came back to the NFL with the Run and Shoot, they did before the Giants, then the Redskins, then the Cowboys shut down the Bills No Huddle, the Air Coryell with Fouts, they even tried to do it with Spurrier after a blow out Pre Season game. Don't hear much about any of those anymore.

Some of those teams even had a great defense too which the Eagles do not have. Don't believe they hype, IMO.

Sorry I was so harsh.  My apologies.  I guess what you had wrote was what set me off about it (which I've been wanting to get out for a while), but my post was not intended to just "single" you out as a Chip lover. Like I said, I've just seen the media, too many Eagle fans this week and too many Redskin fans giving this guy the "best ever" treatment, when he hasn't done anything but 10-6 and a division title in a weak division.   

I know I read somewhere that he and Belichick have collaborated on some things in the past.  I guess the joke went "whoosh" past my head. I can admit that I sort of used Switzer as a joke to counter what some are saying about Kelly.

I'm sure that you were not one of the one's that I think needs to get their head out of his posterior, but there are several the past couple of weeks who need the jaws of life.  Again, my apologies for "incuding" you in something that was meant for others.

:) Cheers.

It's no problem, believe me lol... I just started posting here "consistently" since somewhere around the ravens preseason game. And despite having a low post count, I have been a daily lurker on this board for like 12-13 years, so some of you are like celebrities to me when I get conversing with some of you... lol

So anyways, I totally get that I probably just look like from the outset some random who is giving the Eagles way too much credit.  I just figured I had to say something other than "yes you're right sir I'll take it back" in response lol...I know I was trying to be "clever" in response too, so thanks, I get the whole deal lol.  It's all good and will be during any eventual discussion in the future for sure.

And anyways, after last night, we have bigger things to be concerned about than the eagles franchise. lol

It's no problem, believe me lol... I just started posting here "consistently" since somewhere around the ravens preseason game. And despite having a low post count, I have been a daily lurker on this board for like 12-13 years, so some of you are like celebrities to me when I get conversing with some of you... lol

So anyways, I totally get that I probably just look like from the outset some random who is giving the Eagles way too much credit.  I just figured I had to say something other than "yes you're right sir I'll take it back" in response lol...I know I was trying to be "clever" in response too, so thanks, I get the whole deal lol.  It's all good and will be during any eventual discussion in the future for sure.

And anyways, after last night, we have bigger things to be concerned about than the eagles franchise. lol

You've been hanging around here for 12 or 13 years and you're still happy? Good for you. :-)

119 yards and no points thru 3 quarters? 

im kind of expecting a late surge from philly, but then i thought it might have happened by now. 

still, they find a way to get it done. amazing what a play making D and special teams will do for you. they only now lost the lead, despite the O struggling. 

Ugly freaking loss, which very well should actually have been a win.  3rd & goal from the 1, I actually thought it was a no-brainer.  Somehow they've got to stumble along and try and win some games without Kelce/Mathis to try & be 4-2 at the bye.  Getting Johnson back will help some, but it won't matter if the pocket is collapsed from the center every play. 

Two weeks in a row though that Maclin had ridiculous catch.  I actually "knew" they were going to win after that catch.  Boy was I wrong!  :)

Oh...and Cary Williams sucks. 

Tough loss, but the Eagles clearly deserved to lose the game.  Everyone is going to MMQB the decision to pass twice from the 1, but McCoy had more negative yardage runs than positive ones.  The fourth down call should have worked, but Herremans was blown up and pushed back into Casey, who was coming down the line at the snap.  This delayed him a second and allowed the LB to get into position.  The OL is simply in shambles.  All things considered, I was proud of the way the defense played yesterday.  As of right now, with injuries, I'm not so sure the Eagles are clearly the best team in the division.  Time will tell.

Westbrook? You mean ODF and his daily Kelly loving article.

I'm looking forward to it. We'll find out that Kelly, ultra-genius, planned another one of his wily sports science experiments -- scoring zero offensive points and seeing how the team responds. Just a bump in the road on the way to the next five Super Bowls. 

Teams lose games.  After any good team loses a game, the media and fans fall all over themselves to proclaim "X just wrote the book on how to beat X".  The truth is injuries do matter, great teams sometimes get out-schemed, and the week to week grind can have adverse effects during certain matchups.  The Eagles did not deserve to win, but could have easily won, in a manner of different ways.  The OL is in shambles; you can take Walsh in his prime and ask him to scheme out of not being able to run or pass block and I don't think the results would be much different. 

Curious to see how the Giants look on Sunday. The Eagles/Giants game in 2 weekends has a pulse now that the NY offense doesn't look like garbage. Though it was against the Redskins and a defensive performance for which I'm not sure words exist. 

The Rams should basically be a walkover, Eagles by 2 TDs. 

To the fans of the green team:

At what point does Desean's departure hurt the productivity of your Offense?  After having seen the team play without him for a few games, I'm sure you have some early conclusions.  Obviously, I watch Redskins Football - so I don't see most of your ballgames.  But taking that kind've weapon out of your lineup has consequences.

Please induge me with your viewpoint(s).

To the fans of the green team:

At what point does Desean's departure hurt the productivity of your Offense?  After having seen the team play without him for a few games, I'm sure you have some early conclusions.  Obviously, I watch Redskins Football - so I don't see most of your ballgames.  But taking that kind've weapon out of your lineup has consequences.

Please induge me with your viewpoint(s).

I think it's impossible to say due to other factors, most notably the OL.  If they had all 5 OL healthy, like last year, and McCoy still was struggling, I could see it potentially hurting the offense some.  If anything, Foles' inability to connect on the deep routes is what is hurting the offense.  Some are his fault, some (like Cooper's through-the-hands miss in the endzone against SF) are not.  The deep routes are still open, and until they show they can hit those, defenses will continue to focus on McCoy, which is what really makes Kelly's Offense go.

In the case of this past weekend, the single reason they lost is SF's front four got major pressure in passing downs and they were able to shut the run down with 6/7 defenders.  Anytime you have a DL that can dominate the OL the way SF did, that is most likely going to be the end result.  Only once-in-a-generation scores by ST/D (in one game) kept them in that game. 

Curious to see how the Giants look on Sunday. The Eagles/Giants game in 2 weekends has a pulse now that the NY offense doesn't look like garbage. Though it was against the Redskins and a defensive performance for which I'm not sure words exist. 

The Rams should basically be a walkover, Eagles by 2 TDs. 

What is the Rams strongest unit?  DL.  Unless Molk & co. step it up majorly, it will be an ugly game that the Eagles will not be able to rely on their ST/Defense to score points like last week. 

Like I said, I don't watch most of your ballgames, but I saw that San Fran game.  And as bad as the 49er Offense tried to give that contest to you, the 9er Defense wouldn't let em.  In my opinion, San Fran's Defense Won that game - and it wasn't any kind of indictment on you guys.  They just needed it more.

But going forward, even though we lost, I was pleased with Haslett's strategy: stop your backfield at all costs & make Foles beat us.  To our collective chagrin, he was able to accomplish the task. 

I bring this up because it seems to me that teams are going to consistently play you folks in this manner.  And in referencing my original question, how does losing your deep threat change things going forward, now that this season's early returns are in?

Like I said, I don't watch most of your ballgames, but I saw that San Fran game.  And as bad as the 49er Offense tried to give that contest to you, the 9er Defense wouldn't let em.  In my opinion, San Fran's Defense Won that game - and it wasn't any kind of indictment on you guys.  They just needed it more.

But going forward, even though we lost, I was pleased with Haslett's strategy: stop your backfield at all costs & make Foles beat us.  To our collective chagrin, he was able to accomplish the task. 

I bring this up because it seems to me that teams are going to consistently play you folks in this manner.  And in referencing my original question, how does losing your deep threat change things going forward, now that this season's early returns are in?

I believe, with the season that McCoy had last year, most defenses were going to approach the Eagles that way this season.  While I don't think the Eagles have "lost" the deep threat, it has definitely been downgraded somewhat by Jackson's departure, which allows defenses to condense the field.  However, other areas of the team should be improved, most notably RZ receiving threat(s) of Matthews and maturation of Ertz.  Additionally, bringing Sproles aboard gives a different kind of homerun threat.  So, I don't think we'll see as many 3-play TD drives, but I think the possession catches will be improved, and RZ efficiency should also potentially be improved, ASSUMING Foles' accuracy improves.

What is the Rams strongest unit?  DL.  Unless Molk & co. step it up majorly, it will be an ugly game that the Eagles will not be able to rely on their ST/Defense to score points like last week. 

That is true. Maybe it will be closer than I think but I don't see StL controlling the ball well enough offensively to shorten the game, which is how they'd win. With enough cracks at it I think the Eagles will score enough. I hate on Chip mostly for fun, but he's very good at play design and can probably do enough to neutralize the DL somewhat with screens and delayed handoffs. 

The Giants, imo, will be a much bigger test. 

But going forward, even though we lost, I was pleased with Haslett's strategy: stop your backfield at all costs & make Foles beat us.  To our collective chagrin, he was able to accomplish the task

with the help of our Special Teams' 10 point sway. 

Archived