Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Eagles are clearly the best team in the NFC East, Foles is clearly the best QB in the NFC East, Chip Kelly is GOD. Eagles 2014 thread.

Westbrook36

What's overrated?

Didn't we talk about this last year? Philly beat GB when Rodgers was out when they went 5 weeks without winning. I don't really care about which team would have been a playoff team if Philly hadn't beaten them. The skins beat Dallas.

I'm not saying Philly hasn't beaten a winning team. I'm saying they are 1-6 vs playoff teams, which are the best teams. That's not great.

Not sure why when I post Philly record vs playoff teams, it gets explained away or excused as if it's not a fact.

It's funny... Chip Kelly has a recipe for exploiting teams with mediocre or poor defenses. The pace lets them score quickly and the game gets out of hand early. That also allows his defense to play more aggressive. Very much like when he was coaching at Oregon vs inferior teams (or even decent but not good teams), the effect is that the pace of the offense allows them to get out in front early and maintain a large lead throughout.

But whenever they face a good defense, the effect seems to be exactly the opposite. The pace of the offense helps speed up how fast they go 3 and out. The Eagles defense is on the field for longer, and they wear down. 

Bottom line, it's stupid and it's a gimmick. Great for getting a good record in the regular season, terrible for actually winning anything of note vs good teams once the playoffs roll around. I'll enjoy watching Chip Kelly make the playoffs for the next 4 straight seasons and win maybe 1 game against a flailing wild card team before he decides to pack it up and head back to college. 

What's overrated?

Didn't we talk about this last year? Philly beat GB when Rodgers was out when they went 5 weeks without winning. I don't really care about which team would have been a playoff team if Philly hadn't beaten them. The skins beat Dallas.

I'm not saying Philly hasn't beaten a winning team. I'm saying they are 1-6 vs playoff teams, which are the best teams. That's not great.

Not sure why when I post Philly record vs playoff teams, it gets explained away or excused as if it's not a fact.

They beat Green Bay last year and Colts this year.  That's two wins. Can't say the GB win doesn't count if you don't look at other extenuating circumstances (Foles & OL injuries, etc) that account for their losses.   

I was trying to say that having a winning record against playoff teams is overrated for non-elite teams, which is what I consider the Eagles.  They are not top 6-8 in the league, which are the teams that DO have winning records against playoff teams.  I do think the Eagles are a top 1/3 team, that can make the playoffs by beating the teams they should beat and winning a few that are toss-ups or dogs for.  The best teams in the league have the best QBs and defenses (normally), which are the teams the Eagles struggle against.  Again...Eagle fan saying this:  I do NOT think the Eagles are a strong team at all right now.  They will most likely be one and done in the playoffs if they make it due to: a) DBs and B) inconsistent QB play. 

I've actually started to question Chip's offensive effectiveness this year, but not 100% sure if it's the system or QBs turning the ball over faster than pancakes at IHOP.

It's funny... Chip Kelly has a recipe for exploiting teams with mediocre or poor defenses. The pace lets them score quickly and the game gets out of hand early. That also allows his defense to play more aggressive. Very much like when he was coaching at Oregon vs inferior teams (or even decent but not good teams), the effect is that the pace of the offense allows them to get out in front early and maintain a large lead throughout.

But whenever they face a good defense, the effect seems to be exactly the opposite. The pace of the offense helps speed up how fast they go 3 and out. The Eagles defense is on the field for longer, and they wear down. 

Bottom line, it's stupid and it's a gimmick. Great for getting a good record in the regular season, terrible for actually winning anything of note vs good teams once the playoffs roll around. I'll enjoy watching Chip Kelly make the playoffs for the next 4 straight seasons and win maybe 1 game against a flailing wild card team before he decides to pack it up and head back to college. 

The single thing that is killing Kelly's offense this year I think is # of turnovers.  28?  Like I said above, not sure if that's is system or the QB & other players.  If they even cut that by 1 per game, they probably are setting at 10-3 or 11-2.

Allen & Fletcher have also made sure that no lead is safe for the Eagles.

BTW, you could also say the same of Peyton Manning's offense...no?

They beat Green Bay last year and Colts this year. That's two wins. Can't say the GB win doesn't count if you don't look at other extenuating circumstances (Foles & OL injuries, etc) that account for their losses.

I was trying to say that having a winning record against playoff teams is overrated for non-elite teams, which is what I consider the Eagles. They are not top 6-8 in the league, which are the teams that DO have winning records against playoff teams.

What is wrong with you? I don't know what it is that you're arguing.

I posted the eagles record vs playoff teams, including a win vs a GB team during a five game skid with no Aaron Rodgers, and you're arguing as if I'm posting lies.

These are facts.

What other extenuating circumstances are you talking about? Foles wasn't playing that well before he got hurt. Statistically, he and Sanchez are nearly identical, so what's the issue?

Kelly has the benefit of a team scoring TDs in more ways this year than any team in nfl history. You have the best special teams in football. But it's still not enough. You're still trying to excuse their lack of wins vs elite teams.

You think redskins fans are surprised that a QB running a "new", gimicky offense doesn't look quite so good in his second year?

You act as if I'm saying the eagles are a ****ty team. Good grief.

Kelly may not be a genius after all, but id love to have the eagles problems.

What is wrong with you? I don't know what it is that you're arguing.

I posted the eagles record vs playoff teams, including a win vs a GB team during a five game skid with no Aaron Rodgers, and you're arguing as if I'm posting lies.

Nothing really.  I think I actually agree overall with you.  Only point I was making was don't say "beat the Packers who didn't have Rodgers" if you can't also say, "lost to the Cardinals b/c they only had 2 starting OL playing".  Otherwise we're in agreement.

Cheers,

PF

Its at least some consolation that Kelly misses desean in that offense. I know McCoy does.

Definitely misses him during the regular season, but DJ's production always seemed to drop off in postseason and I wonder if that will be true this year (assuming they make the postseason).

FWIW, the cut decision was mostly financial IMO anyway.

Said it before. Early 90's Houston Oilers already did this and they even had a GREAT defense for a while too, and a HOF QB, and some great receivers, a couple HOF OLmen=never won ****.

I didn't expect much out of Sanchez when he replaced Foles, but also thought after Thanksgiving he would be able to do enough to get them the division.  Now that is highly doubtful.  And, even if they win the division it won't mean anything because there is no way they win a playoff game. 

I like Kelly a lot, but my confidence in him has really dropped this season.

Problems with the Eagles:

-Team consistently turns the ball over at an alarming rate.  This is on Chip.

-Team does not have NFL caliber CBs.

-Team turns on and off and is inconsistent.

There is still a fair chance they take the division, as I think the Colts are a 50/50 shot to beat the Cowboys, but like Pointy said, they'd be hard fought to even win a single playoff game, at this point.

I may end up with the Chicken Little award this season. I keep waiting for the wheels to fall off. The 2014 Cowboys have huge question marks on the defense and a QB with a bad back. But whatever setbacks they encounter, they find a way to bounce back. It's been a very long time since a Cowboys team has had this level of resiliency and mental toughness. 

That being said, I don't see Romo being able to stay healthy enough through January. I could be wrong, but I see a pattern of about every 4 or 5 games where he's not ready. But if the Cowboys go 12-4, win the NFC East and somehow get a bye, then I like their chances. There really isn't any team in the NFC that the Cowboys can't beat. 

Regardless of what happens, at least as a Cowboys fan, I can hold my head up high. In year's past, I always got the sense that players were overrating themselves and eating the cheese of September-November. This year, I don't see a drop-off in hunger (Redskins game being the exception). If they lose, it will be from either injuries and/or not enough talent. I'll take that over the complacency and arrogance of years past. The 2014 Cowboys have already exceeded my expectations, so it's all gravy from here. 

Problems with the Eagles:

-Team consistently turns the ball over at an alarming rate.  This is on Chip.

-Team does not have NFL caliber CBs.

-Team turns on and off and is inconsistent.

There is still a fair chance they take the division, as I think the Colts are a 50/50 shot to beat the Cowboys, but like Pointy said, they'd be hard fought to even win a single playoff game, at this point.

They had like no turnovers at all last year, so it makes sense that they would regress to the mean and have a lot this year.

There was a study done on Grantland about how you can't rely on turnover rates to win because it fluctuates so much. Teams that have a lot one year tend to drop off the next year and vice versa.

I have this weird inkling that the Eagles will win the NFC East crown. They will roll over my Skins and probably beat the giants for an 11-5 record. 

The Turds play the Colts on Sunday and then the Skins. For some reason the Skins always play the Cowboys tough, so that game can go either way. 

Plus, it's December. 

Archived