Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Eagles are clearly the best team in the NFC East, Foles is clearly the best QB in the NFC East, Chip Kelly is GOD. Eagles 2014 thread.

Westbrook36

First post here - as you can see I'm an Eagles fan - and not the type that bashes any team except the Brokebacks , since my best friends are all Redskin fans and most of my wife's family as well. Also will not come in here and say how great we are or only show up like Westbrook after big wins ( but understand why fans of other teams do that on MBs). Just wanted to comment on DJack. I loved having him here Pj , but after a player leaves, no matter where they go , there will be fans that say those things . Like ex girlfriends - they are all fat now and are with losers ( even if it's so far from the truth). Just the way sports works - look at Heat fans with Lebron now , saying he sucks and Cavs can't win. Just makes them feel better. Not me. I hate that Jackson left and want him to do well with you guys unless your playing the Eagles. But in the end all I care about is getting it the playoffs and having a winning franchise - so in the end it doesn't sting so much right now. If that changes I'll be pissed and blame Chip on his decision - until then it was a great divorce for both parties. You guys should be happy and we should too - so I don't think your comments are wrong but they also probably don't effect many Eagles fans Right Now , but next year possibly. Hope I can have plenty of football discussions in here with knowledgable fans like many I see posting.

First post here - as you can see I'm an Eagles fan - and not the type that bashes any team except the Brokebacks , since my best friends are all Redskin fans and most of my wife's family as well. Also will not come in here and say how great we are or only show up like Westbrook after big wins ( but understand why fans of other teams do that on MBs). Just wanted to comment on DJack. I loved having him here Pj , but after a player leaves, no matter where they go , there will be fans that say those things . Like ex girlfriends - they are all fat now and are with losers ( even if it's so far from the truth). Just the way sports works - look at Heat fans with Lebron now , saying he sucks and Cavs can't win. Just makes them feel better. Not me. I hate that Jackson left and want him to do well with you guys unless your playing the Eagles. But in the end all I care about is getting it the playoffs and having a winning franchise - so in the end it doesn't sting so much right now. If that changes I'll be pissed and blame Chip on his decision - until then it was a great divorce for both parties. You guys should be happy and we should too - so I don't think your comments are wrong but they also probably don't effect many Eagles fans Right Now , but next year possibly. Hope I can have plenty of football discussions in here with knowledgable fans like many I see posting.

yeah i agree, the decision to cut DJAX doesnt look like it hurt you guys so far. gotta admit, philly has been pretty good this season, i definitely didn't expect them to be 7-2. congrats on the season so far. even though you're a philly fan, i guess i can be fine with having you on ES.

Thanks CF. I only talk real football , keep my opinions low key and will be rooting for you guys in some games this year while drinking at my buddies house on Sundays - so really not a poster that will be hated I'm sure no matter how well we do. To old for that and know the Eagles MO for the last 30 years I've been a fan. Funny thing is I found an old photo when I was a kid growing up in Maryland with a Skins sweater on - parents don't know why they had it but it happened. Too young to care but funny how we pick our teams. I would have been a Balt Colts fan if they didn't move.

The Eagles are clearly a good team right now (probably the best in the NFC East), but how does anyone know just how much of a true "genius" Chip Kelly really is?  Lets not forget the first two seasons Rex Ryan had with the Jets.  Many people thought he was a genius head coach.  As well, the Eagles haven't yet done as much as the Jets did in Ryan's first season.  Sure they had a better record last season, but one and done in the playoffs is not the same as making the AFC/NFC championship.  Lets give it a little more time before crowning anyone a "genius".

The Eagles are clearly a good team right now (probably the best in the NFC East), but how does anyone know just how much of a true "genius" Chip Kelly really is? Lets not forget the first two seasons Rex Ryan had with the Jets. Many people thought he was a genius head coach. As well, the Eagles haven't yet done as much as the Jets did in Ryan's first season. Sure they had a better record last season, but one and done in the playoffs is not the same as making the AFC/NFC championship. Lets give it a little more time before crowning anyone a "genius".

He's gotten Vick, Foles and Samchez to look like solid NFL QBs.

I'll give him genius.

The Eagles are clearly a good team right now (probably the best in the NFC East), but how does anyone know just how much of a true "genius" Chip Kelly really is?  Lets not forget the first two seasons Rex Ryan had with the Jets.  Many people thought he was a genius head coach.  As well, the Eagles haven't yet done as much as the Jets did in Ryan's first season.  Sure they had a better record last season, but one and done in the playoffs is not the same as making the AFC/NFC championship.  Lets give it a little more time before crowning anyone a "genius".

I don't think many Eagles fans and the Philly media are deeming him a genius - mainly talking heads looking for over generalizations and media hype. I think he is a great coach that builds strong football cultures much like how elite military teams are built - no one is more important than any other player and wins are more important than stats. He's only 1 1/2 year into building this and so far he has the same winning % as Reid in that time so most fans are happy so far - but again he hasn't DONE anything yet but build a strong team that can compete with any NFC team. That's not genius - just good coaching , which is why they hired him. I think he has been quoted many times about that undeserved " title " - now if he wins a couple Lombardis in this god for saken sports town of Philly - then I'll call him a genius , not that he will care what tHey call him at that point.

Welcome to the board ReggieandCharlie.

I hear what you are saying. I'm just rattling the chains of some of the Eagles fans that were in here at the beginning of the season doing exactly what you said.  I made fun of DJax for him letting go of the ball at Cal and with Philly before he crossed the endzone. One thing I never made fun of was his ability.  He burned us so many times it wasn't funny. 

There were just a few in here that pretty much said we'd be sorry for signing him, he was a lockeroom cancer and he had lost a step because of injuries.  Then he hurts his shoulder against Jacksonville and the "he's hurt again" comments came out. Now, he's healthy and thriving and I AM happy with not only his play on the field, but the type of leader he has become in a time where we really need it.

I'm just having a little fun in another terrible year for us.  I got to have a little fun and make some of them eat their words a little.  So with every 40+ yard reception, I just keep a tally of them to remind some that they were wrong and maybe Chip isn't so perfect.  You guys are lucky your defense and special teams have stepped up this year.  Don't get me wrong, Philly still has a strong offense even without DeSean, but it's better to win games 45-21, then 27-21 when your  defense and special teams can help out.  That's something that we lack right now.

Again, just having a little fun and you seem like a level headed guy, so welcome.

On the heels of the wildly successful "Chip Kelly. Any Questions?" thread from last year, I bestow upon you a thread where all of you can revel in your adulation in all things Philadelphia Eagles while acting like scorned lovers. 

What do we know?

2.  Nicky Footlong Foles is clearly the best QB in the NFC East.

How do you go from 26 TD's and 2 INTs to 13 TD's and 10 INTs?

I jut can't wrap my head around this ... I mean, I still don't think Foles got the pub he should have received for having what amounted to a historic season last year ... maybe he didn't because people weren't sold? but man ... how much of the decline is on Foles, how much on Kelly? 

How do you go from 26 TD's and 2 INTs to 13 TD's and 10 INTs?

I jut can't wrap my head around this ... I mean, I still don't think Foles got the pub he should have received for having what amounted to a historic season last year ... maybe he didn't because people weren't sold? but man ... how much of the decline is on Foles, how much on Kelly? 

Lesean & Desean of 2013 and teams have figured out how to defend Foles better...that's how.  Eagles OL dominated teams last year and forced defenses to choose between slowing McCoy down, or doubling Jackson.  McCoy more than anything, opened up defenses in a big way.  LBs were biting heavily on PA passes and if there was any safety help on receivers, Jackson was taking them out of the play.  This year, the running game isn't as good, be it OL injuries or teams have figured out how to defend McCoy better (bit of both IMO), and Foles is not making good decisions or using good technique.

Lesean & Desean of 2013 and teams have figured out how to defend Foles better...that's how.  Eagles OL dominated teams last year and forced defenses to choose between slowing McCoy down, or doubling Jackson.  McCoy more than anything, opened up defenses in a big way.  LBs were biting heavily on PA passes and if there was any safety help on receivers, Jackson was taking them out of the play.  This year, the running game isn't as good, be it OL injuries or teams have figured out how to defend McCoy better (bit of both IMO), and Foles is not making good decisions or using good technique.

good stuff man, that makes a lot of sense. But I  am still in awe of the downfall ... what's amazing is how the team is still winning. D and Specials have a big say in that i guess. 

First post here - as you can see I'm an Eagles fan - and not the type that bashes any team except the Brokebacks , since my best friends are all Redskin fans and most of my wife's family as well. Also will not come in here and say how great we are or only show up like Westbrook after big wins ( but understand why fans of other teams do that on MBs).

Dude, you have lost your ****ing mind.

What an insightful post - thanks for warm welcome Westbrook36 . Either struck a nerve that was already exposed over the years in here or a person that is thin skinned. As a fellow Eagles fan I'm glad we have that in common - but after that probably not much from the posts I have seen from your history. I'll stick to what I probably will like to do here - you stick to your own agenda.

He's gotten Vick, Foles and Samchez to look like solid NFL QBs.

I'll give him genius.

This is what annoys me. A decade ago WE had the idea of bringing in the college QB who would revolutionize the NFL game with a fast-break, quarterback-agnostic system. He failed. Now, Chip Kelly is doing just that for the Eagles. Two years ago, we have a staff that featured the read-option to take advantage of its athletic quarterback. It worked, but our quarterback is always hurt and now half the league successfully deploys that strategy with much more success. 

Ugh. 

This is what annoys me. A decade ago WE had the idea of bringing in the college QB who would revolutionize the NFL game with a fast-break, quarterback-agnostic system. He failed. Now, Chip Kelly is doing just that for the Eagles. Two years ago, we have a staff that featured the read-option to take advantage of its athletic quarterback. It worked, but our quarterback is always hurt and now half the league successfully deploys that strategy with much more success.

Ugh.

Chip Kelly's doesn't run the read-option like Shanny did , as he has pointed out many times , he finds cracks in the defense that he can expose with the run or pass or play action and then moves so fast ( fastest was on Monday night - less than 16 sec between plays ) that exposes the defensive scheme. It's not the same thing as what you guys did in 2012. Like that Oregon Duck guy on here has linked before I think - go to Fishduck website and you will see that he doesn't have one single style of offense. Each game plan is dictated to each team they face and what can be exposed It's pretty interesting, and usually causes outside fans from finding single words like " read option" or " west coast offense" from hitting on what he is really doing overall. That's why one week they have 200 yards running , the next week 20. Take away 1 thing give up another and get exposed most weeks. Again he's not a genius but he is looking at things differently - so in the end he is NOT Spurrier or Shanny in that regard.

Chip Kelly's doesn't run the read-option like Shanny did , as he has pointed out many times , he finds cracks in the defense that he can expose with the run or pass or play action and then moves so fast ( fastest was on Monday night - less than 16 sec between plays ) that exposes the defensive scheme. It's not the same thing as what you guys did in 2012. Like that Oregon Duck guy on here has linked before I think - go to Fishduck website and you will see that he doesn't have one single style of offense. Each game plan is dictated to each team they face and what can be exposed It's pretty interesting, and usually causes outside fans from finding single words like " read option" or " west coast offense" from hitting on what he is really doing overall. That's why one week they have 200 yards running , the next week 20. Take away 1 thing give up another and get exposed most weeks. Again he's not a genius but he is looking at things differently - so in the end he is NOT Spurrier or Shanny in that regard.

Right. 

My point wasn't that he is the same as Spurrier, more that the "type" of strategy by the front office was extremely similar. They were college coaches who both had schemes that were considered gimmicky. Ours failed and yours worked. I know that there are stark differences between Spurrier and Kelly as men and coaches. 

As for the comparison to the read option, that was just more how we started using something and now many teams around the league have used it with far better results (we won a division with it while SF plays in the NFC Championship Game each and Seattle won a Super Bowl). 

It's just some fan frustration. 

Ugh. 

I think you have a typo in there which made things confusing.  A decade ago, WE had the idea to bring in Spurrier, who failed.

Yeah, it's frustrating.  Except that Spurrier's system wasn't really all that revolutionary.  He got a lot of reasonably fast receivers and threw the ball a lot.  And in college, if you've got the better players, you win a lot of the time, and he got good players.  Not saying he's not a good college coach, he is, but I didn't think from the get-go his system was going to work in the NFL.

The other irony is that if Spurrier tried the NFL today, it might work.  The rules have changed enough that as long as he didn't go after cheap-and-available game****s. he might be successful.

Griffin getting hurt and deciding that he wanted to be a Andy Dalton was probably the thing that set us back the most recently. 

I've already said that I think Chip Kelly is a genius.  And you can think guys are geniuses who are not on your team. Bill Walsh was a genius.  Joe Gibbs was a genius.  

Kelly is going to have to prove himself over the long-term, but he's heading in the right direction.  He's designed a scheme that is almost QB proof.  Foles was playing average at best, yet they were still prolific and winning games.  

What he does really well is figure out how to get guys in space that can make plays.  

They do benefit from having some pretty good players on offense, and a good offensive line.  Though, even in that regard, it's been hurt, so he's even compensated for the OL.

I have mad respect for the guy. Don't particularly want him to succeed.  But he's been extremely impressive.  

What an insightful post - thanks for warm welcome Westbrook36 . Either struck a nerve that was already exposed over the years in here or a person that is thin skinned. As a fellow Eagles fan I'm glad we have that in common - but after that probably not much from the posts I have seen from your history. I'll stick to what I probably will like to do here - you stick to your own agenda.

More than likely, you have no idea what you idea what you are talking about and took a quick pot shot at me, without any idea of my posting history or history in general on this site; in a poor attempt to make friends or win favor. 

More than likely, you have no idea what you idea what you are talking about and took a quick pot shot at me, without any idea of my posting history or history in general on this site; in a poor attempt to make friends or win favor.

Who be? What be? I can't understand What you wrote there...? Please look at that first sentence and tell me what your talking about... Also I'm not planning on running for ATN Mayor or something , so why do I need to gain anything? I just observed something that was brought up over the past posts as a joke. You seem pretty thin skinned I guess. It's a message board , calm down. You remind me of this dad who's daughter plays with mine on a travel soccer team that is always the bitter Eagles fan and gets so bent out of shape if you disagree ... Calm down , it's not " real " life it's a sport that your watching , though involved in some outside way.

Who be? What be? I can't understand What you wrote there...? Please look at that first sentence and tell me what your talking about... Also I'm not planning on running for ATN Mayor or something , so why do I need to gain anything? I just observed something that was brought up over the past posts as a joke. You seem pretty thin skinned I guess. It's a message board , calm down. You remind me of this dad who's daughter plays with mine on a travel soccer team that is always the bitter Eagles fan and gets so bent out of shape if you disagree ... Calm down , it's not " real " life it's a sport that your watching , though involved in some outside way.

Three of your first six posts have been about me, bro.  No hard feelings; I've seen a lot of guys like you in the 12 plus years I've been on this site.  Thin skinned isn't something I think most here would describe me as; was just curious why you were dropping my name after being here 15 minutes. 

Archived