Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Daniel Snyder's image changed amongst Redskins fans?

Springfield

Just an interesting thought I had earlier today, an epiphany if you will.

Daniel Snyder, the owner that many hate may be in the process of rehabbing his image. Not necessarily to football fans as a whole, but to fans of his team where it matters the most.

Think about it for a second, Snyder has been hated by most Redskins fans for a long time. Charging money to attend training camp, keeping Vinny Ceratto employed for such a long period of time, free agency spending sprees, suing newspapers, suing fans. There have been a lot of reasons to hate Snyder.

This all changed when he fired Ceratto and brought in Bruce Allen. Snyder largely changed how he approached his fan base. He let Allen and Shanahan run the team for better or worse, without interjecting himself. When it was Shanahan's time to go, Allen was the leader. There was nothing petty conveyed by Snyder like people would expect... or at least made public. In the search for the new coach, Allen made the choices (likely with the assistance of Snyder) and Snyder stayed out of te public eye. The criticism of Griffin III? Snyder has kept his mouth shut as to not show favoritism like we saw previously with Clinton Portis.

Lastly, aside from how he is staying out of operations, there are the public instances where Snyder actually does something RIGHT. The battle about the team name. Snyder is doing and saying all the right things to keep this loyal fan base content. The situation is pitted as us (Redskins fans and Snyder) versus them (the media). Snyder is our best and most influential ally in this overblown mess and he has done everything exactly the way I would! (Minus a few PR gaffes that he separated himself from) Now there is talk of a new stadium, just talk is all. We know that a new stadium would be nice. As long as he doesn't price the fans, the ones he's standing beside in the name change fight, out of the picture then he's golden.

So. I hate to admit but Snyder is in the precess of turning it around. I never thought if say it, but I'm starting to like the guy and I am rooting for his success.

A new stadium without PSL's would say plenty to me. On the football side of things I think he has been better. Having traveled around and seen some of the little things done at other stadiums for the fans I think he still lags behind there, although since Allen arrived things have been getting better.

There was never a reason to hate him. I may not be happy with all the choices he's made, but it's his team. All he did was do what "HE" thought was in the best interest of "HIS" team. Plenty of those things backfired, but it doesn't make me hate him. I'm not a season ticket holder, but when I'm home, I spend $$$ to go to the games and I buy team merchandise. Love to rep the SKINS wherever I'm stationed. He's made mistakes, but he's a fan and tried to do what is best for the SKINS. He's a businessman also, so he's not in the business of not making money.

I like Snyder and I do think some of the public's opinion of him is changing. Can't please everyone and he shouldn't try.  HTTR!

At the time I was bummed for Cooke. Aside from that, I think it's great that a fan bought the team and I like knowing that he WANTS to win. At least the Milsteins did not buy the team. Name probably would have been changed already.

Like you said, the name change argument will help many fans to rally around him.  He's earned some of the scorn he's gotten, but some of it has been unfair.  He's not warm and cuddly.  He's not a villain.  He is a fan and a businessman... surprisingly, for a self made man a pretty bad businessman (lots of failing businesses.)

Maybe I'm crazy but I've never really hated the guy. He spent tons of money trying to make this team a winner. It hasn't worked out but people act like he destroyed the team but the 6 years before he bought the team we bungled free agency and draft choices like crazy. He wasn't responsible for Sean Gilbert, Dan wilkinson, Dana stubblefield, Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Heath shuler or letting Trent Green go.

We've sucked for a long time but that got started long before he bought the team. He's had his fair share of mistakes but he's an easy target for the fanbase.

I will never understand why people give Snyder a pass.  

You talk trash about every player here, but you stick up for Danny boy?  That's rich.

A pass for what? He's not really as bad as some fans make him out to be.

He HAS made more intelligent football decisions over the last few years, I'll give him that. But behind it all, imo, he remains the same guy, the same Napoleon-complex-riddled jerk who treats people horribly and fosters dark clouds over the organization. But, I loved the team before he came along and I will continue to love them. The less I see and hear of that pip-squeak the better. 

I will never understand why people give Snyder a pass.

You talk trash about every player here, but you stick up for Danny boy? That's rich.

You can say you hate him. You can say you hate the things he's done. But calling the owner of your team a piece of ****, is over the top. Mike Vick is a piece of **** for what he did. Nothing Snyder has done warrants calling him a piece of ****. It is a bit much.

The battle about the team name. Snyder is doing and saying all the right things to keep this loyal fan base content. The situation is pitted as us (Redskins fans and Snyder) versus them (the media). Snyder is our best and most influential ally in this overblown mess and he has done everything exactly the way I would!

Like you said, the name change argument will help many fans to rally around him.  He's earned some of the scorn he's gotten, but some of it has been unfair.  He's not warm and cuddly.  He's not a villain.  He is a fan and a businessman.

I agree with these positions.  His intransigence regarding the name change issue has Won him an increasing benefit of the doubt with plenty of fans (that I've kicked it with).  That, along with hiring a General Manager & generally staying outta the way in recent years are definitely steps in the right direction.  Also, he keeps the Redskins playing Outdoors and on Natural Grass.  That means a lot to me.

Interestingly enough, I never personally hated the guy.  During the time that he bought the team & that first 10 years of his ownership, I lived outside the area.  And whenever I read about some of his 'exploits' I would just shake my head.  It wasn't until moving back that I saw in living color that there was a palpable hatred for him here.  I was shocked.

I've never had a problem with Danny. The guy has ALWAYS tried, sure he's missed a lot but it's certainly better than the lack of effort that some owners put out there.

Spjunkies hits the nail on the head.  He is learning how to Win.  I respect the fact that the dude learns from his mistakes & adjusts.  For my money, he's gotten us close - I believe Gruden and Allen will deliver.  And he gets props for putting them in place and staying in the booth.  But Snyder's prickly relationship with the press guarantees his villain status.  Even though he's not constantly doing interviews (jones) & never got caught driving drunk with a LAUNDRY BAG of dope in the ride (guess).

Honestly, who would you rather have?  Him or the megalomaniac that owns The Hated Rival?

He's gotten better.  Seems less petty with the media other then the name change but I don't blame him for that.  Talked to some people who met him in Richmond and they said he was really cool.  

With the football decisions I'm glad he's gotten away from going after name head coaches and giving them full control.  Then again if Gruden fails he might do it again and go after the big name hire and give him full reign.  I think the FO structure they have in place now is right although I'm not sold on Bruce Allen and his band of former Bucs.  We'll see how it goes.

I don't want this to come across as too negative, because I've always stood up against the over zealous Snyder hate.

But I'd like and believe in him a lot more if he had hired a real talent evaluator as GM, rather than sticking with the PR man/Cap man with the blood ties to Redskins history.

Everyone loves Gruden now (and I did pretty much from the start and hoped he'd be hired, personally), but that hire would have a TON more validity if it was a completely new regime and a fresh set of GM'ing eyes that made the decision.

You can bet that the Allen/Gruden/Haslett buddy trifecta will come back to haunt Snyder BIG TIME if this doesn't prove to be a winning regime.

Not to be a smart arse, ConnSkin26, but it really isn't going very far out on a limb guessing that if the Redskins suck and the GM and coach fail people will be unhappy and grouch about everything Redskins related including the owner.

If Bruce Allen fails that is Snyder's failure.  He not only hired him, but kept him despite a failing regime.  Snyder owns this club and responsibility.

That said, here's to hoping no one gets to cash in that coin and all the whine remains corked.

when i read the thread title, i thought someone is trolling.... with that said, this is going to be an interesting thread and i'll chime in when i see something worth commenting on...  and then i read a few replies and nope, can't not comment.   you all do realize the danny wants us to win more than anything... he's been a huge fan for a long time... has a redskins belt buckle he wore when he was a kid in the 80's....  in the beginning of his ownership, he went about winning the wrong way....   at least i think we can all agree on that, but he still wants us to win... and i admire him for that..  he was never a cheapskate...  now, to be honest, to achieve what he wants, he's been better (keeping hands off) but.. the jury is still out... imho, despite his past transgressions and more so of his hands-off approach, we'll get to where we all want to be soon.... 

Not to be a smart arse, ConnSkin26, but it really isn't going very far out on a limb guessing that if the Redskins suck and the GM and coach fail people will be unhappy and grouch about everything Redskins related including the owner.

If Bruce Allen fails that is Snyder's failure. He not only hired him, but kept him despite a failing regime. Snyder owns this club and responsibility.

That said, here's to hoping no one gets to cash in that coin and all the whine remains corked.

A general discontent with the hiring if this regime fails wasn't really what I was talking about, I apologize if I didn't make that clear. That is, as you said, inevitable if they fail.

I meant that the previous cries of "nepotism!" "It was never a question who our coach was going to be or who the staff was going to be!", and "I knew the whole coaching search was a sham!" from a few months ago will undoubtedly return and cast yet another shadow over Snyder's ownership of this team.

That's something Snyder would have avoided entirely if we had hired an established talent evaluator from a successful FO and an all-new staff. It would be an unfortunate failure, but at least he would have tried to do it "the right way".

This forum has the warm and fuzzies regarding Gruden right now, and even Haslett and Allen to a degree (and for good reason in many cases), but if it doesn't go well the initial thoughts and skepticism will come roaring back and color this regime's entire tenure the way the Griffin injury saga and underhanded media war colored Shanahan's entire tenure here.

Archived