Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Daniel Snyder's image changed amongst Redskins fans?

Springfield

Does he deserve props for what? Hiring an over the hill ego maniac who didn't have much success without Elway and Terrel Davis?

It was another star struck move.

His failure with the current organization was not moving Bruce Allen to Team President role only and finding the next John Schnieder. Snyder is getting closer. Maybe in 2020 he will get it right

Problem is, by the time he hired Shanahan, we had come full circle with coaching hires. We tried college coaches, veteran coaches, assistant coaches and hall of fame coaches. We were out if categories. One thing I do give Shanahan credit for is righting the ship attitude wise. We were a place that players came to get paid, we were old and the inmates were running the asylum. Now, players come to try and win and not for the money, we are younger with a better future and the players are no longer in charge.

Snyder is maybe a high D/low C at this point, but that doesn't matter because he's trending upward. Considering that ownership structures are on a multi-decade timeframe, that's a very very good thing.

Also his "over my dead body" (VERBATIM from Snyder) defense of the Redskins name is a nice, nice chunk of extra credit as well. He'll make more money by changing the name, much more than he'll lose from the diehards.

Snyder kinda reminds me of someone who has just become of age to legally drink alcohol.

They head to the closest bar, get absolutely plastered, snot bubble drunk, and do this for a few weeks or so.

As time passes, moderation is the key, its not about getting drunk, its about having a nice drink and relaxing.

Alcohol, to Snyder, is the Washington Redskins; yea, he was dumb drunk when he got the team, but he's learned to let others pour his drink and enjoy it in moderation, AND, he'll be damned if someone tries to take his drink away from him [ Redskin name ].

Owners are praised for consistent excellence, not for finally empowering a GM. The bar for fans trying to sell Dan Snyder as a positive seems to be set laughably low.

Was Jerry a good owner or Jimmy Johnson a great coach? Right. When Snyder builds a winner and then keeps the winning tradition going beyond one head coach we can seriously discuss him being a good owner.

If you simply can't wait that long to pin a gold star on Danny, then let's choose a less significant but more easily attainable goal. Perhaps, back to back seasons with 9 wins or better?

Are you saying a GM who is an excellent talent evaluator isn't a good thing? 

It's too early to tell how the "minions" are doing.

They way they do it can work and having a GM as the master talent evaluator is not always necessary.  It had not worked in the past because Shanny made all of the decisions but we shall see.

HTTR!

Ah, the annual "Does Dan Snyder stil stuck thread?" I look forward to this more than Christmas.

I'm glad that he finally "gets it."

I'm sure it's for real this time - unlike the other times we thought he "got it" in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2010.

I'm not saying that this means that the team is going to make the playoffs, or even have a winning record. Hell, the best that a freshman coach has ever done while Snyder has owned the team is 8-8. I'd expect somewhere between 4-12 and 6-10.

What I am saying is that Snyder's recent actions (and lack of actions in certain respects) make the inevitable dismal season a little more palatable for me. I don't think he will blow it all up when Gruden's first season goes awry. I think he will stay the course like he's supposed to and let Allen do his job.

...or at least this is the image that I've presented.

His popularity seems to peak around this time each year, which happens to coincide with a lack of recent losing on the field. Its been what, 8 months since the last time we lost?

Yea, in August, we always get the stories about "The New Dan Snyder" who has matured and figured it out.

And then December rolls in, and we're reminded that this is a poorly run franchise run by a guy who more or less lucked into a few hundred million dollars (seriously, explain to me what he actually did to earn that money), and somehow leveraged that into the Redskins - which is, in fact, a large piggybank. Snyder was never a good businessman. And has certainly never demonstrated himself to be any kind of business leader. And has most certainly never demonstrated himself to be any kind of football mind at all.

Yea, in August, we always get the stories about "The New Dan Snyder" who has matured and figured it out.

And then December rolls in, and we're reminded that this is a poorly run franchise run by a guy who more or less lucked into a few hundred million dollars 

*And then in every other Jan/Feb, there's a renewed sense of optimism with the latest coaching hire.  Danny always seems to find the 'right guy' as the smoldering previous season gives way to a new calender year, and a supposed 'change of culture' in Ashburn. Its at that time we'll read how 'he's ready to step back from football opps and let the football people take over', 'he's matured, he's young and still learning' blah, blah, blah. Snyder's approval rating quietly climbs back up as we sit at home and watch the 12 playoff teams. 

*on average

*And then in every other Jan/Feb, there's a renewed sense of optimism with the latest coaching hire.  Danny always seems to find the 'right guy' as the smoldering previous season gives way to a new calender year, and a supposed 'change of culture' in Ashburn. Its at that time we'll read how 'he's ready to step back from football opps and let the football people take over', 'he's matured, he's young and still learning' blah, blah, blah. Snyder's approval rating quietly climbs back up as we sit at home and watch the 12 playoff teams. 

*on average

The exception was Zorn. That was weird. We hired a staff, but no coach. Then, it seemed like he couldn't find a coach. And he promoted Zorn to Head Coach. And everyone thought...."Uh, that's weird." A feeling of unease pervaded.

And then Zorn won a ton of games out of the gate. And Snyder was a genius! And then Zorn lost and lost and lost. And everyone hated everyone.

The exception was Zorn. That was weird. We hired a staff, but no coach. Then, it seemed like he couldn't find a coach. And he promoted Zorn to Head Coach. And everyone thought...."Uh, that's weird." A feeling of unease pervaded.

And then Zorn won a ton of games out of the gate. And Snyder was a genius! And then Zorn lost and lost and lost. And everyone hated everyone.

If memory serves me correct, Zorn's intro presser was held over the weekend, during the bi-week, just bf the SB. The timing of that was weird, yet clearly an effort to hide from national media. Snyder's approval rating was probably bumped up that week, despite having spent the previous month with no head coach, and zero back up plan for Gibbs' second retirement.

I'm coming around on Snyder. It was just so hard to see what he did to the team once Cooke (John) lost out in the auction. I couldn't stand him for years. But he's seemed to mellow out a bit, has professionals in charge and has grown into a more patient owner. I also like that he's been coming out and doing some talking for once, and not hiding behind Bruce.

Archived