Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has Daniel Snyder's image changed amongst Redskins fans?

Springfield

I'm fine with Snyder. I can't fully blame him for his mistakes, I'm sure I would have acted the same way had I been owner.

He's handled things the right way the last several years, let football people run the show and has been an ideal,

behind the scenes owner.

He could have easily stepped in during a lot of the stuff going on last year but he kept quiet and let Allen handle things.

I'm happy with Snyder. He's a shrewd businessman and I know people have issues with the way that comes across but that's what you need at that position.

I'm fine with Snyder. I can't fully blame him for his mistakes, I'm sure I would have acted the same way had I been owner.

He's handled things the right way the last several years, let football people run the show and has been an ideal,

behind the scenes owner.

He could have easily stepped in during a lot of the stuff going on last year but he kept quiet and let Allen handle things.

I'm happy with Snyder. He's a shrewd businessman and I know people have issues with the way that comes across but that's what you need at that position.

Well said sir!

HTTR!

Hate is a strong word. Too strong to describe someone you don't know that is in the entertainment industry

What I would like to see is competent organizational leadership. He probably is still not there, though he has improved. I think we are closer now to a competent organizational structure than we have been since he's owned the team

I watched snippets of the Dan Snyder interview on CSN... I came away thinking, Snyder is learning. He's coming off as genuine. Even if this regime fails, I think that Snyder knows that he should never put his hands on the actual Redskins team again.

I just watched the Jerry Jones interview on ESPN... He comes off as delusional, self-centered, and stubborn. I didn't know he fired Jimmy Johnson after his second Super Bowl. I always thought Johnson retired... I hope Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys forever...

I saw an add on ESPN today about the team name change trying to bring facts to the general public. Found it interesting that he is starting his own PR campaign. I generally like Snyder. He is just a fan trying to win.

This is exactly how i feel. In the end he just wants to win as much as us which is all you can ask for out of your owner. Sure he has made mistakes, a lot of them, but he became owner right when fantasy football was blowing up so its easy to see how that influenced his decisions for awhile. As long as he keeps showing he can learn from his mistakes, im happy to have an owner who was a fan of the team first and not just some businessman who wanted a piece of the NFL pie not caring which team he got. He does have a little ways to go though.

Not at all until there are actual results.

Lets look at the results since he took over

'99: 10-6

'00: 8-8 (from a 6-2 start)

'01: 8-8 

'02: 7-9

'03: 5-11 (not so good!)

'04: 6-10

'05: 10-6

'06: 5-11 (last place)

'07: 9-7 (took a miraculous emotional win streak to get to 9-7)

'08: 8-8 (from a 6-2 start to last place) 

'09: 4-12 and a complete embarrassing disaster (last place)

'10: 6-10 (last place based on division record)

'11: 5-11 (last place again)

'12: 10-6 (division title)

'13: 3-13 (complete total failure and disaster, last place again)

Along the way money blown, an organization that is more obsessed with marketing and making money, poor FA signings, constant changes in direction, and overall no direction

Note the last place finishes are more then playoff appearances and far more then division titles.

And when you think of the potential the organization was handed on a platter in 1999, that being multiple first round picks over the next 2 drafts and the Ricky Williams trade, it looks even worse. The 1999 Redskins had the picks and cap space to rule the first decade of the new century but Dan Snyder managed to f that up

If the Redskins over the next 15 years manage to reverse what I have just shown, i.e winning 5 of 6 division titles, staying out of last place and going to the playoffs consistently, I may come around. However I have serious doubts about a man who made his money during the '90s boom, and besides the Washington Redskins, has been a business and leadership failure since

I'm rooting for his success, but I still hate him.  He's a piece of ****.

My question to you is have you ever met Dan Snyder? I'm guessing you have not and probably don't even know anyone that knows him. How can you pass that judgment that he's a piece of **** and have such strong feelings to hate him?

To the topic at hand regarding the thread title. Yes I do think his image has changed now and it's simply because he's changing his ways. Just like Jerry Jones, Snyder was always too involved in personnel moves and acted like the GM. He's a businessman and a diehard fan. Sometimes that can be a deadly combination, but he has learned from his faults. Of course the whole name change debate has greatly helped his image.

Now some people will say "well of course he's going to defend the name, it's his team", however keep in mind all of the revenue he would gain with a new brand. Yes most people like us on this board might boycott the team and never buy the new merchandise. Yet it would generate new bandwagon fans and a lot of NFL fans are just casual fans who would go right along with it. He's sticking up for the "Redskins" because he genuinely wants to keep it the Redskins.

Not at all until there are actual results.

Lets look at the results since he took over

'99: 10-6

'00: 8-8 (from a 6-2 start)

'01: 8-8 

'02: 7-9

'03: 5-11 (not so good!)

'04: 6-10

'05: 10-6

'06: 5-11 (last place)

'07: 9-7 (took a miraculous emotional win streak to get to 9-7)

'08: 8-8 (from a 6-2 start to last place) 

'09: 4-12 and a complete embarrassing disaster (last place)

'10: 6-10 (last place based on division record)

'11: 5-11 (last place again)

'12: 10-6 (division title)

'13: 3-13 (complete total failure and disaster, last place again)

Along the way money blown, an organization that is more obsessed with marketing and making money, poor FA signings, constant changes in direction, and overall no direction

Note the last place finishes are more then playoff appearances and far more then division titles.

But isn't this a case of holding his past against him?  I was saying to anyone that listened back when Shanny got hired that Snyder had changed his stripes.  Of course Shanny wouldn't come unless he had Snyder's assurance that he wouldn't interfere with the football stuff.  And the guy did learn to stay outta the way (maybe we have Shanny to thank for the Owner's behavioral shift).  My point is, those last few years he has ceded control to the Football folks.  

Doesn't he deserve props for that?

But isn't this a case of holding his past against him?  I was saying to anyone that listened back when Shanny got hired that Snyder had changed his stripes.  Of course Shanny wouldn't come unless he had Snyder's assurance that he wouldn't interfere with the football stuff.  And the guy did learn to stay outta the way (maybe we have Shanny to thank for the Owner's behavioral shift).  My point is, those last few years he has ceded control to the Football folks.  

Yes he does. Thank goodness we have Snyder and not Jerry wanna-be pimp Jones.

Does he deserve props for what? Hiring an over the hill ego maniac who didn't have much success without Elway and Terrel Davis?

It was another star struck move.

His failure with the current organization was not moving Bruce Allen to Team President role only and finding the next John Schnieder. Snyder is getting closer. Maybe in 2020 he will get it right

I just watched the Jerry Jones interview on ESPN... He comes off as delusional, self-centered, and stubborn. I didn't know he fired Jimmy Johnson after his second Super Bowl. I always thought Johnson retired... I hope Jerry Jones owns the Cowboys forever...

Only thing JJ has done wrong was waiting too long to fire Johnson IMO. Besides that he's been perfect since. As bad as Snyder has been for the Redskins the Cowboys have it worse and now JJ is getting to the same zone Al Davis was in the last 5-6 years when it became more of a sideshow than an actual football team. I cant wait to see who he hires to replace Garrett next year. There's a chance that it's Josh McDaniels to be his Lane Kiffen.

Yes he does. Thank goodness we have Snyder and not Jerry wanna-be pimp Jones.

Absolutely.

Here's a joke I make a point of telling The Hated Rival's fans every chance I get:

Q: What's the difference between Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones?

A: Jimmy Johnson.

The forlorn agreement that they always respond with is priceless.

Absolutely.

Here's a joke I make a point of telling The Hated Rival's fans every chance I get:

Q: What's the difference between Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones?

A: Jimmy Johnson.

The forlorn agreement that they always respond with is priceless.

LMAO...That's gold man, pure gold.

I didn't hate the guy, I just thought he was a lousy owner and got tired of the same strategy year after year.  

Firing his BFF (Vinny) said a lot to me.  It just showed that he was going to mature a little and try things a different way.  Instead of running his team like you would a Madden franchise, he actually hired someone to do it for him and it seems he's left his hands off.  Even reporters negative toward the team admitted that the bad that occurred in the last 4 years was Shanahan's mess, not Snyder's meddling (though Adam Schefter tried his hardest to spin it in Shanahan's favor).

Snyder's fine, we just need to see some results.  If I saw the guy, I'd buy him a beer.

Archived