Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FEEDBACK WANTED: Should ES adopt a boycott (ignore) policy for the WP?

TK

383 members have voted

1. 1. Should ES boycott WP, PFT, & other agenda driven anti Redskins name media?

This poll is closed to new votes

This doesn't hurt us, it hurts them. 

Paper boys busted their humps to collect pennies on the dollar for massive profits for them, for decades.  What other huge for profit US company gets away with hiring children to do hard labor like that, every single day, rain or blizzard, your paper was there; and then have to go door to door to collect no less.

yes they couldn't even handle their own accounts receivable! Kids were bill collectors.

And we are the bad eggs?

#StayAngry

Extremely saddened to see ES adopt an "official" boycott.  Nothing good will come from this.  This will add fuel to perception of closed minded bigotry by Redskins fans.

I am a strong advocate of not empowering my opponent; ES now appears petty.

Anyone who thinks this will help solidify a justifiable position on the name ...

ES membership and Redskins management should be actively aiding/supporting Native Americans.

The recent treatment of Native Americans is appalling at the same level of the Veterans Admin recently exposed.

Fight the just fight.

Just my 2 cents

:( The Rook

By all means, boycott everyone who believes "redskins" is just a racial slur. If someone wants to only call us "Washington," though, no big deal. That's who we are.

How many times have the Indians referred to us as "white man?" I'm not offended.

How many redskin fans think the name is offensive? Let that be your guide, for no one else matters.

Extremely saddened to see ES adopt an "official" boycott.  Nothing good will come from this.  This will add fuel to perception of closed minded bigotry by Redskins fans.

ES membership and Redskins management should be actively aiding/supporting Native Americans.

Ahem.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/365985-the-official-es-redskins-name-change-thread-all-things-related-to-changing-the-teams-name-go-here/?p=9898999

http://es.redskins.com/topic/381034-its-that-time-of-year-again-2014-es-tailgate-charity-nominations/?p=9892465

Notice that both of those posts were before I even started this thread & that ES hasn't adopted anything "official". 

If the "paper that shall not be named" can write made up dribble for money, then we should be allowed to not post the links.

I wouldn't label it as "an official ES boycott", but if the links aren't posted - noone here will even notice.  Our news hound is great at tracking down news.  An "official" boycott would probably fuel the mediots, although I am worried that they couldn't write a column based on facts - so it wouldn't hurt ES either way.  I'm all in!

Extremely saddened to see ES adopt an "official" boycott. Nothing good will come from this. This will add fuel to perception of closed minded bigotry by Redskins fans.

Anyone who thinks this will help solidify a justifiable position on the name ...

The recent treatment of Native Americans is appalling at the same level of the Veterans Admin recently exposed.

Fight the just fight.

Just my 2 cents

:( The Rook

Nice drama i would give you the Oscar if it were up to me. Very good stuff

For the record Hap not posting WP articles in BRBN is not a boycott and it's not official. But please don't let that stop so many of you from going for the best supporting actor role in a false drama. The theater is worth the price of admission

Yeesh

So what you're saying is-refuse to listen to a point of view that differs from your own? really? Come on, man!

Agreed, it's like this rest of this message board, god forbid you say something the mods disagree with. Now they are taking it another level too far. 

Agreed, it's like this rest of this message board, god forbid you say something the mods disagree with. Now they are taking it another level too far.

Please. Don't try to paint the mods as dictatorial.

They ran a poll and the idea of adopting a "boycott policy" towards the Washington (Com)Post was agreed to by a 4 to 1 margin by the rank-and-file members.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good whine. :)

For those of you opposed to the boycott, I'm almost positive that you can still read WaPo articles if you want to. Those of us in favor can do so also, we'd just rather not do it on a board called ExtremeSkins, which is a clear recognition of the proud tradition of our name.

And "extreme" is exactly what we are.

HTTR!

Fight the just fight.

Just my 2 cents

:( The Rook

The only way this adds any fuel is if people ignore how long we have done exactly the opposite.

and it would seem to me that given the years of patience and the mounds of abuse that posters from this board have been subjected to by UnWise Mike among others, that them labelling us in any way is exactly the sort of close minded bigotry that we would be accused of.

i wonder if TK or Jumbo could give us a count of how many screen names Wise has used on this site to come in and harangue users? i know it's more than a handful, he's done it more than a few times.

there comes a point when you must realize that fearing perceptions like that is pointless, because no matter what they will paint you that way anyway.

Narrative has no use for truth. Do you think anyone who would perceive us as bigots actually cares a a single bit if we are or not?

do you think any of them give a damn about any sort of fairness?

People like this don't care if they're actually right or wrong, because they're convinced they're right regardless. Reason and objectivity are beyond them, and given the recruiting of the Kardashian Kulture they've done, the insulation of unbridled ignorance is exactly what they want.

they don't have to be right. They don't care how any of us feel anyway. why should we give a **** that they think we're bigots? they already do.

They have the stupid and the loud to protect them from truth, ready to shout down and ignore anything but what they're fed.

Refusing to play in such an arena won't make us any more bigoted than the narrative already says we are. 

~Bang

For those of you opposed to the boycott, I'm almost positive that you can still read WaPo articles if you want to. Those of us in favor can do so also, we'd just rather not do it on a board called ExtremeSkins, which is a clear recognition of the proud tradition of our name.

And "extreme" is exactly what we are.

HTTR!

Well said!

Nice drama i would give you the Oscar if it were up to me. Very good stuff

For the record Hap not posting WP articles in BRBN is not a boycott and it's not official. But please don't let that stop so many of you from going for the best supporting actor role in a false drama. The theater is worth the price of admission

Yeesh

Even the passive action of Hap not posting WP articles would be fine (to me), but to take a stance as the official message board of the team is taking it to another level. There are several other people and reasons that I would or would not suggest boycotting an analyst. JLC comes to mind. There's UnWise Mike, who I'd put into the category as more of an opinion guy who happens to talk sports sometimes. Kinda like Tony K. but in a worse version (who I'd also put on this list). Sally Jenkins comes to mind as well. Or a number of posters here whose comments I've just learned to ignore. But there's a difference between me just ignoring a person's comments vs moving to get them removed from the site.

Even the passive action of Hap not posting WP articles would be fine (to me), but to take a stance as the official message board of the team is taking it to another level. There are several other people and reasons that I would or would not suggest boycotting an analyst. JLC comes to mind. There's UnWise Mike, who I'd put into the category as more of an opinion guy who happens to talk sports sometimes. Kinda like Tony K. but in a worse version (who I'd also put on this list). Sally Jenkins comes to mind as well. Or a number of posters here whose comments I've just learned to ignore. But there's a difference between me just ignoring a person's comments vs moving to get them removed from the site.

You are loving you some drama.

. You want to post a WP article, fine. I suggest you read the thread again. Boycott is a poor choice of words for the title but TKs post does articulate the proposal clearly.

Breaking News is a volunteer service that Volunteer Redskins fans provide in their personal time. And quite frankly, if you don't like it, go somewhere else or start your own breaking news site. Pretty obnoxious to take that kind of attitude given that you contribute no work to this site whatsoever.

If I were HapHazard I would have done this a long time ago, and I darn sure wouldn't have asked "redskinsfan54368" his opinion on the matter as I'm spending hours every day scanning the web and posting articles out of pure charity

A brief pictorial salute to those noises in your noggin:

ck14.jpg

bodysnatchersdons.jpg

squirrel05.jpg

oppression-musical.jpg

Self_destructive_by_Ivefeldt.jpg

panic_attack.jpg

bingoib.gif

You are loving you some drama.

. You want to post a WP article, fine. I suggest you read the thread again. Boycott is a poor choice of words for the title but TKs post does articulate the proposal clearly.

Breaking News is a volunteer service that Volunteer Redskins fans provide in their personal time. And quite frankly, if you don't like it, go somewhere else or start your own breaking news site. Pretty obnoxious to take that kind of attitude given that you contribute no work to this site whatsoever.

If I were HapHazard I would have done this a long time ago, and I darn sure wouldn't have asked "redskinsfan54368" his opinion on the matter as I'm spending hours every day scanning the web and posting articles out of pure charity

Just because I'm not a moderator or a user with special accesses doesn't mean I contribute nothing to this site. In the early days of the site, I took pride, along with bubba in going around, scouring the different news sites and posting new stories. I understand that there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes and I am and have shown over my time here my appreciation to those who have and still work to keep this site functioning well. But even when I offer advice to a new member, or refuse to engage in name calling with a troll, I am doing my part to keep this site as the best message board for fans of any team in sports and one of the best sites on the internet.

With that being said, I've invested about 15 years worth of my time in helping build this site into what it is. When I hear people like Grant and Danny the other day talking about the ES outrage that came about when we almost named Fassell as the head coach, it does hurt me because of the amount of time I've invested here and because i do understand the complications of trying to provide content and informative discussions and knowing where to draw the lines.

And because I do care so much about this site, I am as you say loving "some drama". This site had made decisions in the past that I do not agree with, and when this happens, I generally state my disagreements. And that's all I'm doing here. I really respect Hap for the role he's taken really since I've seen him on the site. There are several time periods (especially when work is busy) when I ignore the stadium discussions for the most part and only go to the Breaking news section to stay up to date on interesting stories. But because I also respect the Washington Post as a paper, and think they have some good writers there who may do an editorial on the Skins. You say that I can post the article if I want, but that's not what this thread is about. The Breaking News section is a section where fans can quickly go, find out stories about the team, discover the interesting (and not so interesting) writers, etc. I'm not saying these comments to speak for myself. I'm saying these things because I want the other fans, who come here not knowing so much about DC writers and the local media - The guys who may not know a UnWise Mike from a Mike Jones from Chick Hernandez. If we (and yes I am using the inclusive we) decide to ignore all writers from the editorial section of the Washington post then we're doing the fans of this team a disservice. We can call it taking a stance for the team and for the name, but the end result is that the fans will lose.

The site is not banning OPPOSING POINTS OF VIEW.  The site is banning the WP.

Now, that doesn't mean people can't come on here and argue or disagree, it just means the site won't be supporting a "news" organization that has proven, even during good seasons, to be determined to spin every story in a negative light about the team we all cheer for.  Again, that's not an opinion, it's an agenda.  

There is a difference.

Goodness gracious but there is some overreaction going on here. As has been stated a few times,(and for crying out loud the fact that there is a Poll about this should be a screaming,anvil on the head hint),this is a board membership thing not a mod thing. Brought up by members to the mods. Yeeeeeeeesh.  And again,we're not preventing a member from posting something from the post in The Stadium,we're just not actively linking to them in the Breaking News section. Mind you,my hesitation about this comes from the thought of a few of the guys sitting in the third row who take themselves too seriously and want to heckle the member posting the article in too animated of a way.  

That said,and again,the Post is still there,you can read the articles and editorials there. Also,there are many other sporting news outlets that have and continue to take similar if not the same stand as the Post organization when it comes to the Redskins name and guess what? Yep. We're still posting links and articles from them. So to say we're banning opposing points of view is a reach that stretches way beyond the line of ludicrous.  Fact is in the long run,this is probably more symbolic than anything else. But don't kid yourselves either. While the Editorial staff did say all that other stuff about fans and Snyder not being racists and such and not preventing fans writing in and saying the name Redskins,look no further than the last paragraph of their statement to get how they really feel about things. 

I do appreciate and understand a lot of what you said about your views on your role as a member and on the site, Thinking Skins. Members posting fairly productive content, consistently over time, and who really take "ownership" or "investment" in the site are a meaningful thing to me. I personally respect it, independent of agreement/disagreement on any specific issue.

We have more than a few long time members identified with quality posting who don't always agree with how all things done here by staff (or by their fellow members, certainly). Nothing wrong with that at base, nor should anything less be expected.

Of course, not all members (even with early join dates) may be as highly regarded by a majority of others as they think they should be, but that's hardly odd on the interwebz.

For the record and OT, per the Stadium & ATN, ES'ers like bubba (miss ya amigo), Huly, Pez, TK, and MTH (for his Fed Ex expertise and help to all), are "very extra special" to me (not making any point, just throwing out my sentiment). They put it a "helluva lot more work" to make ES  what it is than even the typical long-time quality poster (another role with which they are all credited). Doesn't mean their views are regarded as superior to others as a result, so no one needs to read that into my comments.

So what you're saying is-refuse to listen to a point of view that differs from your own? really? Come on, man!

This has been the credo for UnWise Mike and his name changers.

I just want to point out as a point of reference, the name of this site is "ExtremeSKINS", not "ExtremeREDSkins".

Our membership fees would go up if the name changed to ExtremeRedskins

Archived