Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FEEDBACK WANTED: Should ES adopt a boycott (ignore) policy for the WP?

TK

383 members have voted

1. 1. Should ES boycott WP, PFT, & other agenda driven anti Redskins name media?

This poll is closed to new votes

I voted NO and here's why.  In my other life, there have been calls for boycotts by companies/organizations against other organizations.  I don't agree with that.  I think issues should be called to attention and let individuals decide whether they will personally boycott.

Why should this site help WP or anyone else so obviously hateful against it's members and the team we love.

We have a right not to link to their crap, call it a boycott or just common sense.

Everyone has a right to read whatever they want and members would be free to link articles they desired.  

This goes against NO ONES rights to free speech or freedom of the press.

This board sends it's readers to Redskins related articles, good and bad.  I don't think discontinuing to promote certain (corrupt) media outlets disrupts that flow in the least.

Let them say what they want, but let us stop displaying their hate as news about our team.

Then maybe I don't understand the term boycott.

The idea has appeal, after all, hitting the WP and others in the wallet is the way to get their attention, but I still don't think it's the way to go. Mind you, being silent isn't either. If we wanted to generate a thousand letter campaign where ESers individually flood the Post and their website with letters of disgust... I'd be for that.

Perhaps you should propose and organize a letter campaign then. I'd assume that many here would be willing to write to the Post. I feel it would be useless but it would at least allow us to get our complaints off of our chest. Gathering contact info so that the members of this board can email the Post would be helpful.

Perhaps you should propose and organize a letter campaign then. I'd assume that many here would be willing to write to the Post. I feel it would be useless but it would at least allow us to get our complaints off of our chest. Gathering contact info so that the members of this board can email the Post would be helpful.

Count me in.  To whom should I give my contact info?

Count me in.  To whom should I give my contact info?

Nobody.

Ideally, someone would organize a thread that had all the contact info of the Post. Not lame emails that get thousands of emails per day, personal emails of all the editors. Personal mail boxes of editors. Personal twitters and facebooks. Places to contact the Post where actual people who make a difference there will read it.

Or we could just ban the Post on ES.

The ONLY voice you have in this society is your money. Period.

I actively boycott multitudes of businesses. I think that boycotting pro-changers who are sensationalizing their agendas, & pouring more money into pro sites, & the Redskins altogether are about the only say we have that matters.

It's already painfully clear that majority/minority polls have absolutely no bearing on this discussion. But if you see the Redskins fall from #3 on the most valuable NFL franchises list to 10 or lower, then the NFL & the other owners might actually start to pressure the team.

I feel that if the revenue stands pat, or increases during the course of this debate, then the money...& where it's being invested, will probably have the biggest say.

The ONLY voice you have in this society is your money. Period.

I actively boycott multitudes of businesses. I think that boycotting pro-changers who are sensationalizing their agendas, & pouring more money into pro sites, & the Redskins altogether are about the only say we have that matters.

It's already painfully clear that majority/minority polls have absolutely no bearing on this discussion. But if you see the Redskins fall from #3 on the most valuable NFL franchises list to 10 or lower, then the NFL & the other owners might actually start to pressure the team.

I feel that if the revenue stands pat, or increases during the course of this debate, then the money...& where it's being invested, will probably have the biggest say.

In other words... money talks, and bull**** walks.

Personally, I very much like the idea of no WP in Bubbas forum

I think this is the way to go. Not a site wide boycott. Just a choice by the staff to not promote content from any organization that chooses to "be the news" instead of report the news and not use the name. Posters would still be free to post a thread in the Stadium for a WP article if there was one worth talking about.

You have to go back 3 pages in the Stadium to find the most recent post related to a WP story. They are not getting much run in the Stadium as it is. Almost 80% of the viewers of this thread voted yes, my guess is those people are already not clicking on WP links.

What we are discussing here is a change only for editorials. Unlike our colleagues who cover sports and other news, we on the editorial board have the luxury of writing about the world as we would like it to be. Nor do we intend to impose our policy on our readers. If you write a letter about football and want to use the team name, we aren’t going to stop you.
But as Mr. Carey noted, every time the R-word is used, something disrespectful is happening. We hope Mr. Snyder and the NFL will acknowledge that truth sooner rather than later. In the meantime, we’ll do our best not to contribute to the disrespect.

Interesting final comments. Actually,we're a little like the editorial section in that we give opinions,(and then some),on current and not so current news events and headlines. Where the Post is concerned,we generally,(as in most but not all),beat the hell out of them for stuff they "print" about the Redskins.  Oh wait. According to the above statement,I just did something disrespectful. Not "in their opinion" but statement of fact. Actually,according to what's quoted above,it's statement of "truth".   My opinion is okay. I won't burden you all with clicks from all of us who don't know the "truth" and continue to be "disrespectful".  Never mind that some of those people who do the clicking and have no problem with the name are Native Americans.  Also noting the implications of what they said.  Nothing petty about it.   

Hell it might even save us some mod time since there will at least a few less threads posted from the W.P. that get everyone riled up and start saying dumb stuff,play evasive maneuvers with the the profanity filter and generally cause all kinds of commotion.   ;)

Or not. :)

YES

I was actually about to buy the $99 subscription until I that happened. When I saw that I sent them an email and said that I would use other news outlets from now on for my Redskins news from now on. I also will refuse to listen to the game if the announcers refuse to use Redskins such as Simms. Fans need to start taking a stand and making it heard. I wont be listening to Tony Dungy anymore either.

lol at them picking out Mike Carey's choice.

Clue, you morons.

Carey made a personal choice and sought no gratification from it.

he never even mentioned it until someone brought it out of him.

Give yourselves a hearty pat on the back, you awesome pieces of awesomeness, you.

You deserve it.

Kevin sheehan made some GREAT points this week when Phil simms announced how much he wanted attention and said he wouldn't use it.

Sheehan noted that Simms did not refuse to work the game, however. He won't be missing his paycheck over his 'morality'.

He just announced he wouldn't say it. 

Spineless... but hey.. it helps that ol' Q rating, i suppose.

my grandpop had a word for people like this.

"A word that has evaded the filter and wil get me a finger-shakin' from Jumbo".

Nevertheless, depending on the usage it is a not-so-kind word for people of despicable cowardice, or a nice fluffy little kitty.   

You figure it out

~Barf

YES

I was actually about to buy the $99 subscription until I that happened. When I saw that I sent them an email and said that I would use other news outlets from now on for my Redskins news from now on. I also will refuse to listen to the game if the announcers refuse to use Redskins such as Simms. Fans need to start taking a stand and making it heard. I wont be listening to Tony Dungy anymore either.

Simms must've forgot he was offended.

He said Redskins 4-5 times on Sirius radio last Thursday.

I voted yes, hit these suckers where it hurts with views on articles and in the wallet. I've boycotted them for a few years already. I also won't be watching football night in America and will go to a bar to watch any games we have on Sunday night where the game would have been on already.

I guess some people don't care that we are considered racists. Not some of us, ALL of us.

The Washington Post is like Phillip Morris and we the Redskins fans are cancer patients going to buy a pack of cigarettes every day.

Did you read the article? Direct quote:

"We don’t believe that fans who are attached to the name have racist feeling or intent."

I'm going to vote no, both because I don't believe in boycotting a source of information that is still going to have direct access to the games and be able to provide me insight to my team, and also because I agree with The Post, for the most part.

Did you read the article? Direct quote:

"We don’t believe that fans who are attached to the name have racist feeling or intent."

You haven't read the Post's golden boy UnWise Mike have you?

In his latest article he implied that all Virginians are homophobes and racists because they support the team name.

He constantly labels all Redskins fans as racists on social media and blocks NDNs who support the name.

Need proof? Ask ES member Huly who happens to be part Cherokee.

Archived