Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FEEDBACK WANTED: Should ES adopt a boycott (ignore) policy for the WP?

TK

383 members have voted

1. 1. Should ES boycott WP, PFT, & other agenda driven anti Redskins name media?

This poll is closed to new votes

Recently I've received several messages, texts, & phone call discussions (along with it popping up in the actual Name Change thread) about how ES should adopt a boycott policy for media sites that have been pushing their agenda for changing the name.

As usual, when there's the thinking of a major change in board operation like this, we always like to see what you guys think of the idea. 

Personally, I can see both sides of it, & would be happy if the idjits would just stop posting Bleacher Report nonsense articles. :)

So, simple poll. vote either YES or NO. Doesn't mean we'll initiate either way, just taking the pulse of the board.

I voted "no", but I'd love it if we did something similar when talking about the WP lol...

Ooooohhh THAT can be arranged much the same way that "Easter Egg" was done when you mention a certain  Dallas QB.  :D

I'd like to say yes but qualify it by saying, only those articles that are in regards to the team name issue...  keep them out of the stadium, as has been done...  other than that, sometimes, there's good football related info there...  wp insider already said they'd continue using the team name - only the oped's would not use it...

The more they bring up this name change nonsense, the more clicks they'll get from all over the place. So if this is their move, I'm all for speaking with our clicks and cutting out some ad revenue.

Edit: I feel as if the information we get on this board whether through other news outlets or from our own valued and well-spoken posters is more relevant and thought-provoking than anything they post anyway. For most of us on this board, the things they write about are things that we already all know (or have discussed many times before), but would be news to some lesser involved fans.

I don't think we'd miss a thing.

i'll have to get another paper for my parakeet to poop on. besides that, hell with them. 

ive lived in this area for nearly 30 years and even in my teens, i would read some of these bomb throwing, race baiting 'journalists' and wonder how the hell they stayed employed.

We've already made this decision. No WP articles in our news forums on BGObsession. Hope you guys will follow suit. As TK mentioned was his position, we are not prohibiting members from posting WP articles if they desire, but we're not having ANY site-sponsored uploads of WP content on our site. We're done directing traffic, hits, and readership to a media outlet that expends most of it's energy trying to denigrate, critique, and badmouth the team we love.

I hope you guys will follow suit, and start talking to others about doing the same. No Redskins fan site should be supporting the Washington Post at this point.

Unite the Clans! :cheers:

Seems extreme, to me. Kinda like, if we do that, then we're reflecting badly on the team.

But then, I also have to observe that many of the name changers don't have a problem calling for boycotts, to bust their agenda. I'm not aware of any rule saying it's immoral for the majority to do what the minority is doing.

I can see both arguments, but think I'm gonna vote Yes.

I wanted to vote no, because it seems petty. Like we're buying into their attempt to make the name thing a "Big Deal". It feels like we should be better than them and not acknowledge that it's even a legit topic of discussion. This feels like escalating it, somehow.

But I voted yes, because I'm in the mood to be petty. It's some serious bull****.

Let's do it.

There's nothing extreme about communicating your displeasure as a consumer by voting with your wallet. The Washington Post spends a ton of money and time trying to denigrate and attack a team most of us have followed for decades. Why should they benefit continuously from our fandom while simultaneously (and hypocritically) heaping scorn, derision, and negativity on the same team and fanbase that is it's lifeblood.

It's ridiculous.

This looks like a PR mistake to me. Dan Snyder has done enough media fighting as it is, having the teams official forum start banning articles from the WashingtonPost seems like it's approach that has won nothing for this team. This move will look bad if the media reports it, especially with the team getting in bed with the Times.

It also begs the question, why stop there? The Post is obviously not the only media company that favors the team change the name. An example:

Might need to add NBC, we'll see what they pull tonight. I know this, many NFL fans are up in arms about it, the more people I talk to, the more common the response, That is some bull ****.

I voted no.

Edit: wanted to add, UnWise Mike is a self righteous jackass. I don't want my stance confused with support for that windbag. I'm also a well known hater of Wilbon.

You think the media coverage can get worse Destino? The point (in my mind) is that there's only one thing that's going to lead outlets like the Washington Post to conclude that they should focus elsewhere - and that's if fans say 'enough' and stop supporting their product. I think it's absolutely disgusting that the Post trashes the fans and team that are their very livelihood. Fans ought to start holding them accountable for it. 

With that said, good luck guys - I'll move on back to my usual waters. But I hope you join us (and actively work to get other large groups of Redskins fans to say 'enough!'). Cheers.

Archived