Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN First Take seems sold on the Redskins' defense

If we stop Philthy this year, maybe I will change my tune.  I haven't believed in our talent on D since GWilliams was here.  In fact, as much as I dislike Haslett, our talent on defense has been awful for quite some time.  We have attempted to make some upgrades this year, and I'm hoping they make us a ton better.  We need to get a ton better just to be average on that side of the ball.

I can't remember. Is ESPN First Take credible? There are several outlets that get slammed as idiots anytime they say something negative.

Curious if they fit into that group. All these media people run together for me

Very credible.  On par with Mike & Mike. :)

I can't remember. Is ESPN First Take credible? There are several outlets that get slammed as idiots anytime they say something negative.

Curious if they fit into that group. All these media people run together for me

Define "credible" lol...

Both Skip and Stephen prefer giving their opinions in an overstated, melodramatic fashion. There's an aire of self-important buffoonery to their theatrics. For me, I have to reallllly be interested in the topic to sit thru one of their segments. Do they know the footsball? Eh, yeah pretty much, although they're as wrong in their predictions as everyone else in sports media.

I like how whenever the Redskins D plays well it's always 'the other team just played bad' - guess why?  because the 'Redskins played good'  - you know, when someone plays good, it usually results in poor execution which isn't because the offense was just 'off', there are reasons that cause an offense to be 'off'

'If X played well, they would have won easily'  - well guess what, 'X didn't play well because Y disrupted X'

There were also a lot of open receivers who were a nanosecond away from being tackled/blasted by a Skins defensive player had they caught the ball.

I wrote earlier that if we just improve our tackling, the improvement on the defense would be amazing,  I also agreed that getting pressure was another thing that we needed to improve.  The final area was a back end playing the same game as the front end, haven't seen us do that much since 2011.   I've also seen improvement in tackling and good pressure so far.  Can we keep this up come regular season or even against teams planning for us?  If yes, no one should be surprised if the defense is solid to good.  The only thing that worries me big is our teams, nothing has really impressed me yet and that was the biggest problem last year.  If the defense just plays OK and the teams can be competent, I really think RG3 only has to be slightly better than last year to make us a playoff contender as long as the other parts of the offense don't slack off.

Whether good or bad, I pay very little attention to the opinion of Skip Bayless. Dude is a joke. My agreement/disagreement with Stephen A is about 50/50. However, I will say he's proven himself more credible than Skip. Now with that said, this is still preseason and things are pretty "vanilla" on O and D so I won't get too hype by what I've seen. But I will say that this defense (all factors accounted) looks like it can definitely be top 10 or better.

I wish people would just chill with the "This defense would have been shredded if..." Let's remember, the Skins D has been plenty "shredded" in years past by "lesser" competition. Also keep in mind, we don't really know exactly how good or bad this D will be come September or even November. It's still just preseason. But I definitely like what I've seen so far as opposed to last season. 

Let's try to stop nitpicking at every little thing and start enjoying the direction we all believe/hope this team is moving.

Quite a few people have said that the Browns helped the Defense by dropping catches, the reason the catches were dropped was because the pressure placed on the QB forced the ball to be thrown early or on the run or just late, sounds like some people are just going to can the defensive secondary through frustration and annoyance: the idea of the defense is that the front seven put pressure on the passer this allows the secondary to intercept the pass or restrict the offensive player to short YAC.   In any case i beleive the Defense is looking good, and let's not forget this is only preseason, although i feel we will all have a much better idea of where we stand of the Ravens gams HTTR

I love the praise but i'm holding off my opinion until week 8 of the season. I think we can win the NFCeast only if we find out the formula to stop the eagles offense.

If we can somehow find the formula to stop the eagles amazing offense I think we win the NFCeast at 10-6 

Not that I don't like our Redskins getting props, but I take what Skip Bayless says with a grain of salt. I do think however that offenses are going to underestimate our defense this year. It all depends on how well Hatcher does on the line and how good Murphy is his rookie season. Let's not forget K. Rob needs to fill some hefty shoes that Fletcher has left.

I like our pass rush and a future CB tandem of Amerson and Breeland could be solid, but I still don't love our Safeties and there will probably be some growing pains with Robinson starting. Also other then Hatcher(who I bet will be injury prone all year)our DL is average at best.

i really enjoy 1st take...  steve'naysmith..  (inventor of basketball's great great great great grandson) usually is very astute with his commentary and makes up words not even in the english language which i find funny as all get out.....   he's a great pairing with skip bayless......  they're like oil and water at times....  haha....  anyway, they usually have good topics to discuss....  steven is very pro RG3 and has consistently talked about him being 'box office' whereas Skip has loved Tebow the past few years (which has been a recurring joke)....  now he's on the Manziel bandwagon....  good show and definitely different than the normal sports talk you hear or see elsewhere...

You know, SKip took a ton of heat for his comments about Kirk Cousin and some of the less savory aspects of fandom but after reading this board for the last year and seeing some of the very specific comments and perceptions about RG3 (and the concurrent swell of support for Kirk as well as how it reads), I'm tempted to give him a little credit for being right.  

Just to keep things in perspective they both had us winning the division last year.

So did I.  I had some question about RGIII coming back from surgery, but had no idea that the defense and special teams would completely fall apart.  We ended 2012 so strongly.  Things looked so bright.

I believe our D can be good but not great.  we have some good players in Kerrigan, rak, hall, etc.. but we are lacking in that elite talent that all the great defenses have.  SF has aldon smith as well as 2 stud MLBs, seattle has Sherman, Thomas, and a solid dline.  until we get that ELITE guy the best we can be is good. 

I believe our D can be good but not great.  we have some good players in Kerrigan, rak, hall, etc.. but we are lacking in that elite talent that all the great defenses have.  SF has aldon smith as well as 2 stud MLBs, seattle has Sherman, Thomas, and a solid dline.  until we get that ELITE guy the best we can be is good. 

Well, is Sherman going to be elite with the new rules emphasis?  Hall has actually turned into an elite player, if I recall advanced metrics is putting him way up there these days.  Now, he's not the same sort of player that Darrell Revis has been in his career but Hall has become one of the very best the last couple of years.

Arguably, the combination of Rak and Kerrigan could be viewed as one elite player and honestly, Aldon Smith made a living off Justin Smith's work and when J. Smith was out had a lot more trouble getting to the QB.  Perhaps with individual pass rush technique instruction one or both will make that leap?

Also, if Hatcher plays up to his capability, I think you'd have to call him near-elite or elite in terms of disruptiveness.  

But I concede that we need a couple of guys to take a step, or maintain level of play (Hall).

About those Brown easy incompletions, maybe we clogged up the throwing lanes. I kind of doubt it, but maybe. Note, I am not even sure defenses are coached up to do that, but I do think they clog lanes against a mobile QB, like chief punk JF. 

I do think we may have seen a snapshot of the Haslett D last game. Without getting too technical, a bend don't break. But when crossing over the 50 on us, look for more rush 8 drop 3; very aggressive calls.  

Haslett's calling card seems to be tough to run against, and expect the same this year. If our front 7 can get pressure rushing 4 consistency, our defense will be fine. 

Seriously, I think the Skins starting 11 on D, match with up with any starting 11 in football and the front 7 are the best.  I can't wait to see Hatcher in action.  This could be a 50+ sack team.

Woah there hard charger.  I think you may be that guy who overvalues everyone on his fantasy team and refuses to make trades  ;)

Archived