Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN First Take seems sold on the Redskins' defense

Thought the D looked really assertive last night. Flying around, etc.

But, they looked good last off season.

Just like with the offense, I'm wait and see.

Though my expectation is that (minus bonehead turnovers on offense) the D is able to hold both Houston and Jax under 20 points each.

If they do that, I'll start to believe they're what we think they are.

He lost me at "Rambo".

Seriously, I think the Skins starting 11 on D, match with up with any starting 11 in football and the front 7 are the best. I can't wait to see Hatcher in action. This could be a 50+ sack team.

Kerrigan, Orakpo, Hatcher, and Murphy last season combined for 55.5 Sacks. I can see it

Thought the D looked really assertive last night. Flying around, etc.

But, they looked good last off season.

They did?...I remember the D giving up some big plays and too much yardage in the 1st quarter of the first two preseason games (that's when the starters were playing).

Kerrigan, Orakpo, Hatcher, and Murphy last season combined for 55.5 Sacks. I can see it

You might wanna check the batteries in your calculator lol...

They did?...I remember the D giving up some big plays and too much yardage in the 1st quarter of the first two preseason games (that's when the starters were playing).

he said last OFFseason, Cali...   not sure what that meant but hey, if they're not playing, they may have looked very good.... lol

Man, is it just me, or did Keenan Robinson look fast last night? He was flying on that field. it was a time where I saw that it was number 52 who made the tackle, and still was like "Who was that?" lol

He's very fast from what I saw.

Yes!  Keenan Robinson looked awesome out there.  I love his style of play and aggressiveness.  I'm sold on our D and let us hope it is for real and we keep it up during the regular season.  I've been impressed so far and very happy about Keenan.  He looks fast and mean out there!  Ryan Clark had some nice hard hits too which was great to see.

Watching this game vs. the Ravens again, got to thinking about last year. Now, as has been well documented on this board, it's only preseason...but I am seeing 1 huge difference.

Last preseason we went 4-0, but we were often getting beat, or giving up big plays with the 1st team defense. This never changed throughout the regular season.

Through the preseason thus far, I have been pleased with the overall defensive unit. Mind you, I'm not enamored with it...but I am certainly not in near as much doubt as I was before we got started.

Amerson, & Keenan Robinson have been excellent. Hall has been a little spotty...Clark looks ready to go. The DL was looking OK, but when Hatcher went back in, WOW. I am worried about Rambo in pass coverage for the first 2 weeks while Merriweather sits, but with Houston/Jax, I think that he won't get asked too many questions he can't answer.

Amerson looks really good though. I've been watching him almost exclusively in this watch & he pops off the screen.

Am I the only one who noticed Stephen A list, "Philip Morris" as one of our defensive players?

Yup, just checked, he definitely said Philip Morris instead of Thomas.

That's all I got.  Except that our pass rush this year is gonna be awesome.  I'm just worried we'll be ignoring the dump pass or the draw play and let teams make huge plays out of dumb stuff like that.

Am I the only one who noticed Stephen A list, "Philip Morris" as one of our defensive players?

Yup, just checked, he definitely said Philip Morris instead of Thomas.

That's all I got. Except that our pass rush this year is gonna be awesome. I'm just worried we'll be ignoring the dump pass or the draw play and let teams make huge plays out of dumb stuff like that.

Hoping he's cut. Don't want a cancerous player on our team.

And yeah, hoping our pass rush is the real deal (and doesn't get burned by over aggressiveness... much)

Technique has changed too.  

On any down at least one DL is shooting the gap.  It looks like the NT is maintaining a 2-gap responsibility though.  This allows the MLB to focus on the free gap in the event it's a run.  If pass, often I see one OLB cutting in front, trying to  get the QB stepping up while the other OLB rides the tackle deeper. A high-low approach. But this scheme is timed with which DE shoots the gap.  So there's three points of pressure:  In the middle, and left and right.  They mix it up too.  A lot also hinges on Keenan Robinson playing so well in coverage.

It's not as risky either like years past where will lived by the blitz and died by the blitz. It essentially looks like a 4-3 rush but using 3 DL and one OLB.  The strongside OLB stays with the flow whether a screen or TE dump. But with Keenan Robinson, many times we can rush 5 and feel rather safe that the middle is covered.

This is why we saw passes to the RB well covered last night.  Gives the safety time to react and flow up the field to help.  The last sack by Geathers is another good example.

Technique has changed too.  

On any down at least one DL is shooting the gap.  It looks like the NT is maintaining a 2-gap responsibility though.  This allows the MLB to focus on the free gap in the event it's a run.  If pass, often I see one OLB cutting in front, trying to  get the QB stepping up while the other OLB rides the tackle deeper. A high-low approach. But this scheme is timed with which DE shoots the gap.  So there's three points of pressure:  In the middle, and left and right.  They mix it up too.  A lot also hinges on Keenan Robinson playing so well in coverage.

It's not as risky either like years past where will lived by the blitz and died by the blitz. It essentially looks like a 4-3 rush but using 3 DL and one OLB.  The strongside OLB stays with the flow whether a screen or TE dump. But with Keenan Robinson, many times we can rush 5 and feel rather safe that the middle is covered.

This is why we saw passes to the RB well covered last night.  Gives the safety time to react and flow up the field to help.  The last sack by Geathers is another good example.

which is why i can't wait for them to play the eagles.  i want to see that front pressure foles and force him to dump it to mccoy. only to have either keenan or perry, or any hard hitting safety smack him.  i just want to see this defense play with that nasty attitude, that smashmouth defense.  i just pretty much want them to hurt mccoy period.  i know it sound bad but that's one player that just needs to be humbled badly. 

Archived