Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Morgan Moses: Why so much negative press?

trez

I can't figure out why Morgan Moses is getting so much negative press.  The dude is brand new and has been switched back and forth between left and right tackle, so it's tough to get a mental and physical wrap on either position.  Also, he played more snaps against the Patriots than anyone else and seemed to acquit himself well.  I don't recall him giving up any sacks, and the running game was strong with him in the game.  He did get one penalty for holding but I believe it was on a botched play where he was supposed to run block but ended up pass blocking because of a missed handoff.  So why is the narrative "oh he's really struggling and may be a wasted pick?"  I think perhaps its lazy journalism...it's easier for people that cover the team to continue with a narrative that may have been true early on in camp, but may not be the case now. 

I focused a lot on Moses when I watched the game. I'm not an O'Line coach or anything but I know enough to be dangerous!

My take was he did OK - not great, but OK. The main thing that stood out to me was he plays too high - he's 6' 8" so he starts high! He needs to get his pad level lower especially when run blocking but also when pass blocking. If he stays high like he was he is going to lose leverage. When he does bend he does it from the waist not the knees - that's also bad.

He got beat a couple of times on the edge with speed moves, looked like his first step was slow, and then because he was high the defender who got onto his outside shoulder was able to dip and turn the corner.

He did some good things as well - he held up reasonably well in pass pro and he got to the second level a couple of times in the run game (but because he was high he more got in the way than really drive anyone backwards). You can see the potential and physical gifts he has so talk of a wasted pick is silly at this stage but he's going to be a work in progress for a while IMO. I would not want to have to count on him this season unless he makes really quick progress.

It sounds to me like people want to know how he is doing, and the people watching him are reporting back that he has been mediocre and struggled at times

Given that he was billed as a late first rounder that fell into our laps later in the draft folks want to know how he's doing. Usually a RT with a first round grade is starter material his rookie year. I guess media and observers could lie to get around the negative aspect

On a positive note sounds like Murphy is doing very well! And Moses has time. He can use these past few weeks as a wake up call that he won't get by in this league on "talent" and he will be better off in the long run, learning like every great nfl player that its all about hard work

From all the reports I've read (and yes, I read a lot), Moses is not ready for prime time yet...   the closest to being ready as far as rookies go, is Spencer Long... and even with him it may be midseason before he gets his chance...   Hopefully he (Moses) doesn't take as long as LeRebius to get a starting spot...  we're still waiting for him too....

Those who gave him a 1st round grade missed the mark wide and by quite a bit!  If you judge him solely on what he is - a 3rd round pick - then expectations should be that he takes a year to get ready.  He needs coaching and the weight room.  Best thing we can hope for this year is he never sees the field this year.

To the OP, just because Moses hasn't had raving reports doesn't mean he's had negative press.  I don't think Moses has been associated with words like 'bust' or 'waste' or 'failure' in the reports.  Sounds like a typical 3rd round selection: physical potential that will take time.  Although I am more encouraged by what Cooley said than I am about the media's assessment.  Moses is a big body.  If he can improve his footwork, he may be able to get away with playing taller. Those bloggers and wannabe journalists who thought him to be a 1rst rounder were obviously way off.

Babis?

Plenty of Babis.  Can't go wrong with that.

My take was he did OK - not great, but OK. The main thing that stood out to me was he plays too high - he's 6' 8" so he starts high! He needs to get his pad level lower especially when run blocking but also when pass blocking. If he stays high like he was he is going to lose leverage. When he does bend he does it from the waist not the knees - that's also bad.

That echos what has been said by training camp observers, and (I think I recall) reports of what coaches have been telling him.

Cooley broke down Moses today. Good stuff. Basically said he was ok, his hands were a little slow, but that can be corrected. Said that he could probably start at RT in a pinch, if they protected him with Babis and TEs. He should come along.

Issue with him at RT is he really struggled at RT in college.  Played better at LT.  Maybe it's more because he matured and worked harder is Sr year and he would of played better whichever side he played.  But I'd rather see him play RT in some pre-season before I'd say he could play RT in a pinch.  Think I only saw him played LT against NE. 

Those who gave him a 1st round grade missed the mark wide and by quite a bit!  If you judge him solely on what he is - a 3rd round pick - then expectations should be that he takes a year to get ready.  He needs coaching and the weight room.  Best thing we can hope for this year is he never sees the field this year.

This is exactly the way I've seen it.  I think people just had their expectations too high for Moses.  The truth is that he was a 3rd rounder and should be looked at as a 3rd rounder.  He's not going to be ready this year.  Maybe next.

Shoot, Breeland has looked like a steal...I mean as long as he doesn't go and do something really stupid like hanging out with marijuana in his pockets...oh wait...

I assumed that was auto correct for 'backs'.

I think the auto correct people must have had a good laugh when they designed it to work just enough that most of us aren't willing to turn it off, but it works against us just enough to cause embarrassment.

Cooley on Moses:

Playing LT said he was consistent, though can get bull rushed, shows good power,

has slow feet/hands though, says hands are easily correctable, fix those he's in great shape

Playing RT-said Tyler is better right now but Moses could be better and could play RT now with help from his Babis who I assume are like...2f9cbbc5ac95fc3200ccbce38c264e21.jpg but recents been informed that 'Babis' doesn't refer to hot babes but to RBs ;( I rather like the idea of getting someone to play better with a lil help from the Babis

Most scouting reports were that his feet were slow and he plays high. Physically and body type screamed first rounder but the red flags were there.

Slow feet is a huge one on an olinemen in today's league. Temper expectations a bit and let the coaches coach the guy.

There will be negative reports because his play reflects those issues. The sky ain't falling...he just has stuff to work on.

Cooley on Moses:

Playing LT said he was consistent, though can get bull rushed, shows good power,

has slow feet/hands though, says hands are easily correctable, fix those he's in great shape

Playing RT-said Tyler is better right now but Moses could be better and could play RT now with help from his Babis who I assume are like...2f9cbbc5ac95fc3200ccbce38c264e21.jpg but recents been informed that 'Babis' doesn't refer to hot babes but to RBs ;( I rather like the idea of getting someone to play better with a lil help from the Babis

She looks like a Bucs fan to me.... Not a Babis.

Archived