Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Cousins outplaying Griffin?

codeorama

Cousins does effectively nothing better then RG3 does, all this nonsense about him being outplayed is just part of this "grass is greener" horse**** that always stirs the hearts and minds of the simple minded media and fans in this town. The second RG3 starts winning again, this will go away.

Also, if you think Griffin didn't go through his progressions in his 4 ( :rolleyes: dat sample size) pass attempts, I don't think you know what you even looking at. 

Not true. At this point of their careers. Cousins pocket awareness is far superior to Griffins. Griffin has shown awful pocket awareness throughtout his 2 seasons. His fumble stats alone prove that. Will his pocket awareness improve? Only time will tell. But Griffin is clearly the better overall QB when compared to Cousins.

And RG had the 2nd worst QBR rating of any QB last year.  He had 4 games last year with a QBR of 15 or less, and out of those, three were under 10 QBR.  Cousins came in at a time when the team had basically given up and thats not an easy situation for any QB.  Like I said, don’t compare the games Cousins had to play in to those of Griffin.  The season was over by the time he got in there.  

First:  You're wrong.

Second: LMAO at using "QBR".  No one but ESPN uses that garbage stat.  Their hidden formula makes absolutely no sense, and it's a shame that people actually give them undue deference by using their bogus stat.

Not true. At this point of their careers. Cousins pocket awareness is far superior to Griffins. Griffin has shown awful pocket awareness throughtout his 2 seasons. His fumble stats alone prove that. Will his pocket awareness improve? Only time will tell. But Griffin is clearly the better overall QB when compared to Cousins.

Not sure that you can prove this at all, let alone point to the fumble stat as evidence. I'm willing to bet that Griffin fumbles outside of the pocket significantly more than cousins. Easy example of why that stat doesn't work as evidence.

Again, not saying Griffin is perfect by any means. But he is clearly better than Cousins. No one would trade a 1st for KC. We put Griffin on the market for a 1st and hes gone in a day. There is reason for that. 

And RG had the 2nd worst QBR rating of any QB last year.  He had 4 games last year with a QBR of 15 or less, and out of those, three were under 10 QBR.  Cousins came in at a time when the team had basically given up and thats not an easy situation for any QB.  Like I said, don’t compare the games Cousins had to play in to those of Griffin.  The season was over by the time he got in there.

Don't compare them? Cousins was awful. Seriously what happened to the guy that claimed Cousins was the next Brady? He stopped posting in his thread after that debacle blew up in his face.

You don't even remotely have any proof to state that, "awful pocket awareness" really? His fumble stats have nothing to do with his pocket awareness, how many of those have been outside the pocket? How large is Kirk Cousins' sample size to even compare? 

Did I imagine the 2012 giants game where he ran circles around the Giants D-line late in the 4th quarter on 4th and 10 and found Paulson for the pass? Did I imagine the 4 TD 300+ yard performance at Dallas? Did I imagine the nearly perfect game he had against the Eagles? Kirk Cousins threw a TD pass against the Ravens and had a good game against the Browns and suddenly he has "pocket awareness" because 'reasons'. Let's just omit the horrible games he had because the back up QB will always be better in this town. 

Enough already with the "Athletic QB by default has poor pocket awareness, can't read defenses, bad pocket player" schtick. 

I wonder if the "members" of the Redskins organization reported that Patriots backup QB Ryan Mallett was performing better than Tom Terrific in the joint-practice camp sessions would it even be taken seriously.

It would have gotten a "oh he's just having a bad or unlucky few days". Granted, Tom Brady is on another level at this point with a much longer NFL resume then RG3.

When RG3 has a pocket, he is a good pocket passer.

When the pocket starts to collapse is where he needs to improve and make better decisions.

...which is unfortunately very often.

At any rate I'll just say, back when we were suffering through the JC era or the Grossman/Beck era, we could only dream of having the problem we have today at QB.  How many teams do you guys think have as good a stable of QBs as RG3/Cousins/McCoy?  Serious question.

Griffin is the best. He is soooo the best. He's the best. Cousins is sooo not the best. He's not. Griffin is the best. He is.

To quote the president, "the debate is over". Why? Because I want it to be and I've declared it so.

Griffin is the best. THE BEST. Cousins is ok for shining balls (footballs and Robert's)because his footwork and timing is a little better. But that's it.

Debate over.

...which is unfortunately very often.

At any rate I'll just say, back when we were suffering through the JC era or the Grossman/Beck era, we could only dream of having the problem we have today at QB.  How many teams do you guys think have as good a stable of QBs as RG3/Cousins/McCoy?  Serious question.

Yeah, the OL and play calling by Gruden really need to find a way to give RG3 a chance to develop in the pocket. Having bodies in your face 1-2 seconds after the snap will not promote this. I am rather curious as to why last season they didn't have RG3 run designed bootlegs and roll outs more often so the defense couldn't pin there ears back as much. It almost appeared at times last year that Shanahan was calling straight drops on purpose just to teach RG3 a lesson and prove a point. I think with Gruden we will see a lot more progress from RG3 this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000376536/article/kirk-cousins-outplaying-redskins-qb-robert-griffin-iii

The Shanahans might be long gone, but the Washington Redskins' bizarre quarterback drama shows no signs of abating any time soon.

After Robert Griffin III struggled in joint practices with New England last week, members of the Patriots organization opined to ESPN.com's Mike Reiss that Kirk Cousins was the best quarterback on the Redskins roster.

Reiss specifically cited Cousins' edge in "running the offense, fine-tuned mechanics and how decisively the ball came out of his hand."

Griffin attempted just four passes in the preseason opener, a 23-6 win over the Pats, but we couldn't help but wonder if the footwork issues that dogged him last season have yet to be ironed out.

As well as Cousins played versus the Patriots, though, there is no hint of controversy in Washington.

Of the 45 quarterbacks who threw at least 100 passes in 2013, Football Outsiders graded Cousins as the least effective. Other NFL teams are no longer clamoring for his services.

I do take this serious because of who the NE Patriots are, all the teams they have faced, 5 Super Bowl appearances, these players know who is a good player and who isn't. Only Mike Shanahan screwed Cousins because of piss poor decisions in coaching. All we needed was an extra point in Atlanta and it's OT, but we go for 2 and lose. One other game we needed 2 and went for the extra point. Cousins value could have stayed at a high value and it should have because he can run an offense. Cousins is a pretty good QB and I'm glad he's our back up.

If Griffin continues to struggle with this offense and doesn't get any better as time goes on,  what are we going to do? Are we going to sit and watch him struggle as we lose, or sit him and see how Cousins does. I sure hope it doesn't come to that. 

I do take this serious because of who the NE Patriots are, all the teams they have faced, 5 Super Bowl appearances, these players know who is a good player and who isn't. Only Mike Shanahan screwed Cousins because of piss poor decisions in coaching. All we needed was an extra point in Atlanta and it's OT, but we go for 2 and lose. One other game we needed 2 and went for the extra point. Cousins value could have stayed at a high value and it should have because he can run an offense. Cousins is a pretty good QB and I'm glad he's our back up.

If Griffin continues to struggle with this offense and doesn't get any better as time goes on,  what are we going to do? Are we going to sit and watch him struggle as we lose, or sit him and see how Cousins does. I sure hope it doesn't come to that. 

RG3 will not be sat unless due to injury (God forbid) this season. Book it.

Don't compare them? Cousins was awful. Seriously what happened to the guy that claimed Cousins was the next Brady? He stopped posting in his thread after that debacle blew up in his face.

if he stopped posting because Cousins struggled for a few games, then chances are he was never a true Skins fan in the first place... I have come to the conclusion that a lot of "so called" Capt Kirk fans who post here and then disappear when he struggles, are in reality Andrew Luck worshippers, and they don't really like Kirk Cousins as much as they hate RG3... Andrew Luck believe it or not has a HUGE following( very underrated fanbase), and they can be nasty when other young qb's start outplaying their messiah.. Its why they troll almost every message board that hypes up Cam, Kaepernick, Wilson, etc as bigtime, and come in with their negative talk, "its the defense that carries them" routine( even though most of the other young qbs have better stats than Andrew Luck across the board, YES even ours truly "RGMe")

I think it was Ghostii claiming that. Don't take the bait, Ghost as adament last year that Cousins should start over Griffin and was the better QB.

if he stopped posting because Cousins struggled for a few games, then chances are he was never a true Skins fan in the first place... I have come to the conclusion that a lot of "so called" Capt Kirk fans who post here and then disappear when he struggles, are in reality Andrew Luck worshippers, and they don't really like Kirk Cousins as much as they hate RG3... Andrew Luck believe it or not has a HUGE following( very underrated fanbase), and they can be nasty when other young qb's start outplaying their messiah.. Its why they troll almost every message board that hypes up Cam, Kaepernick, Wilson, etc as bigtime, and come in with their negative talk, "its the defense that carries them" routine( even though most of the other young qbs have better stats than Andrew Luck across the board, YES even ours truly "RGMe")

So you are saying Bubble Screen has mulitple accounts?

Its amazing how often people try to compare apples to oranges and then to apricots, then they talk about how much apricots are like bananas.

Cousins, Griffin, Luck, Wilson, and the rest are decidedly different products, all with different qualities, and most important, different backgrounds and histories of play. To compare any of them on a level field is pretty ridiculous.

I think it was Ghostii claiming that. Don't take the bait, Ghost as adament last year that Cousins should start over Griffin and was the better QB.

im not really sure who that is.. i dont spend much time posting on message boards.. i mostly come here because this is the best site i have found that keeps me caught up with how the skins are doing

Years ago they should have banned all Ghost names since I am the one and true Ghost.  There can never be another.

I can't believe the disdain some of you have for Cousins. He should not be the starter as it's Griffin's job to loose. Looking at Cousins starts last year he was not awful. Didn't he throw for almost 400 yards against Atlanta? He had several dropped passes against Dallas and played well enough for us to win the game. He WAS awful against NY but it was pretty tough to throw in that game. Let's not forget that Griffin had bad games as well and that's why he was benched.  

I can't believe the disdain some of you have for Cousins. He should not be the starter as it's Griffin's job to loose. Looking at Cousins starts last year he was not awful. Didn't he throw for almost 400 yards against Atlanta? He had several dropped passes against Dallas and played well enough for us to win the game. He WAS awful against NY but it was pretty tough to throw in that game. Let's not forget that Griffin had bad games as well and that's why he was benched.  

I think when you deal with a controversial issue, debate becomes naturally polarized.  The reality is Kirk looks like an up and comer, his ceiling is hard to predict if he learns the game better and when not to force passes but he can move, he seems like a good leader and a quick study.  I don't want to let go of him until RG3 shows out like we expect him to, but I also don't think we bench the superior talent simply because of a few snaps.  I do think Kirk should have started 2013 and then bring in Robert later, as Robert looked quicker after a few games than he did to start.  

Why can't we be happy we have two potential franchise QBs, or at least one potential franchise, and another guy who can win you a ch'ip if you put the right team around him?

To me that is the one major hole in Griffin's game right now. He must get better at being comfortable in the pocket, sensing pressure early, and knowing when to STEP UP into the pocket to avoid sacks rather than bailing laterally every time. Too often he scrambled into sacks when an easy step or two into the pocket would have bought him the time to complete a pass. I hope to see improvement there in 2014.

Archived