Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Music Download Sites

KingGibbs

Hey guys and gals. I am looking to expand my music library. Any sites that you would highly recommend? Is Rhapsody worth it? I know that Rhapsody isn't a download site per say, but is it worth it to have access to their library? Thanks.

I use Rhapsody.  Love it.  Mobile app is the best part.

limewire

Lol, welcome to 2003.  Don't use Limewire OP.

I prefer to stream rather than purchase and download.

By far the best option is Spotify. 

A free account gives you streaming access to almost any song you can image. There are exceptions - like the Beatles - but 99.9% of anything you want will be there.

Make playlists, bookmark albums, find new artists, create radio stations, make collaborative playlists with friends - it has everything.

If you pay for premium (very cheap) you can download songs to your phone/computer/ipad and play songs off-line. You don't own the songs but you have access to them without an internet connection. Good if you don't have a large data plan for steaming or can't streaming b/c flying, abroad, etc. 

Spotify for PC is the way to go. Mobile iphone 5S version only lets you shuffle your playlist though which is kinda annoying.

Hmmmm, I thought can play them without shuffle on my iphone. Maybe I am crazy. 

Edit - I just tried it and it works. Just play the first song and let it go it will play in order. Don't press the big green button.

Spotify or Grooveshark. I got grandfathered into Grooveshark mobile, so I only pay $3 a month for a fantastic collection of music, as well as seemingly unlimited offline song allocation.

Here's an article comparing Spotify, Grooveshark and Pandora:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/spotify-vs-pandora-vs-grooveshark/#

The article gives Grooveshark a lot of crap for their legal issues and clunkier interface, but it basically dominates music catalog and social networking. Most users in the comments prefer it overall.

Hmmmm, I thought can play them without shuffle on my iphone. Maybe I am crazy. 

Edit - I just tried it and it works. Just play the first song and let it go it will play in order. Don't press the big green button.

Do you have a Spotify subscription? I only have the free version. Forgot to mention that in my OP. So my iphone will only shuffle my lists. And what makes it worse is they let you have six skips which afterwards brings up an add that tells you all the benefits of subbing. Apparently its the exact opposite on the ipad. My sister in-law doesn't like the fact that you have to pay for the shuffle feature on the ipad. Meanwhile on my PC and Samsung tablet all features seem to be available. Seems to me Spotify knows apple custys have money to burn...

I use Google Play Music and Amazon Music. Google Play Music is great because they have just as good of a selection as iTunes (IMO) and it can sync with your iTunes if that's what you used to use and you have all your music wherever you go (computer or phone). Amazon Music is great if you have Amazon Prime. It's free for Prime members and they have over 1 million songs available to stream and already made up playlists. It's nice because they have alot of older songs, not so much on the newer stuff though.

I love Spotify and am a paid subscriber. However, if you are more of an underground music guy, such as myself, sometimes they will not have every album from every obscure artist available to you...but I will say it's pretty rare.

Honestly, if you search any artist you could ever think of, you can find a bunch of their stuff on Spotify. They have done a tremendous job building up their audio library and I've never found any reason to complain about the audio quality. I mean, I'm not a music producer, so I don't need my tracks to be 24 bit 192kHz.

It's an incredibly intuitive, user-friendly system that allows for some real customization and I think anyone who is a paid subscriber and a big music person will highly recommend Spotify to you. I know I do.

Archived