Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to sue the republican party for willful denial of scientific evidence about climate change.

Mad Mike

2 minutes ago, Bang said:

Cope...  with the aftermath of our selfish idiocy.

seems to be the entirety of the GOP platform anymore.

~Bang

I'd actually be okay with it if they were actually had a plan to cope.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

(Germany's 2018 emissions are expected to be flat, while ours are expected to increase.)

source?

flat from what?....they are burning more lignite than ever, Germany's program is a damn disaster.

add

https://reason.com/blog/2018/06/18/germany-flops-on-climate-change-goals

Germany Flops on Climate Change Goals

Germany won't be able to meet the goal of cutting emissions by 20 percent before 2020. But the attempt caused residential energy prices to double.

Edited by twa

20 minutes ago, twa said:

source?

flat from what?....they are burning more lignite than ever, Germany's program is a damn disaster.

add

https://reason.com/blog/2018/06/18/germany-flops-on-climate-change-goals

Germany Flops on Climate Change Goals

Germany won't be able to meet the goal of cutting emissions by 20 percent before 2020. But the attempt caused residential energy prices to double.

There's a difference between being flat and not hitting a targeted 20% decrease.

Saying emissions are flat, and they have not hit a 20% targeted decline is actually saying the same thing.

Also, I typoed.  Obviously, 2018 isn't yeat clear.  I meant 2017.

German energy consumption grew in 2017, emissions stable

https://energytransition.org/2018/01/german-energy-consumption-grew-in-2017-emissions-stable/

"Nonetheless, things are happening to reduce coal power. Municipal utilities closed six hard coal power plants in 2017 for economic reasons, and a number of lignite plants were retired in a reserve (in German). "

I don't think they can hit their deadline of 20% by 2020, but if they can grow their economy and keep emissions flat without reducing nuclear where they aren't even located in a strong region of the globe for renewables to be efficient, that's really saying something.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fish lose sense of smell and ability to find food as climate change turns oceans to acid

Fish are losing their sense of smell as rising carbon emissions turn the water they live in to acid.

A new study has revealed that as levels of carbonic acid in seawater rise, sea bass lose up to half their smelling capacity.

Surges in atmospheric carbon dioxide increase ocean acidity as the gas dissolves in water – a phenomenon already known to dissolve the hard outer coatings of shellfish.

The findings are significant as these fish rely on smell to do everything from finding food and potential mates to detecting predators in their vicinity.

“Our study is the first to examine the impact of rising carbon dioxide in the ocean on the olfactory [smell] system of fish,” said University of Exeter researcher Dr Cosima Porteus, who led the research.

The scientists compared the behaviour of young sea bass at current carbon dioxide levels to the levels expected at the end of the century, when oceans are predicted to contain up to two and a half times the levels of the gas seen today.

They noticed big changes in the behaviour of the fish inhabiting the most acidic water. Not only did the bass swim less, they appeared not to notice the presence of predators.

These findings, published in the journal Nature Climate Change, add to a growing body of evidence about the dangers ocean acidification poses to marine life.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

Scott Wagner is the worst. There was a perfectly fine Republican woman running during the primaries against him and another turd. Insanity won again and am very fearful Wagner will get elected. He's said so many heinous things so far and can't imagine what else will come forward by November. He's Trumpian without all of the hypocrisies (that we know of) of Trump. Wagner is a trash guy (literally, trash hauling), so the environment and regulation is not something he sees as a positive. 

On August 1, 2014 at 11:14 PM, twa said:

I embrace climate change, you are welcome to another ice age if ya wish though.

I'd point out the models are having problems which illustrate some re-calibration is in order , but it would be a waste of time

care to explain how you know the oceans are heating when they were clueless about the amount in the meddies?.....what is your control?

Write a letter to your grandchildren and tell them that.  I'll sleep better at night knowing your grandchildren will curse your name.

8 minutes ago, Mad Mike said:

Write a letter to your grandchildren and tell them that.  I'll sleep better at night knowing your grandchildren will curse your name.

My grandchildren will sing my praises.( I already have some btw)

The idiots wasting precious capital on feel good idiocy that only retards true alt energy development on the other hand will likely earn their scorn.

add

How are those suits working for ya Jr?

Edited by twa
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, twa said:

My grandchildren will sing my praises.( I already have some btw)

The idiots wasting precious capital on feel good idiocy that only retards true alt energy development on the other hand will likely earn their scorn.

add

How are those suits working for ya Jr?

Write the letter. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mad Mike said:

Back to addressing adults.....

Remember way back when... Back when I started this thread? Does anyone remember how I was ridiculed?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-30/u-s-supreme-court-won-t-halt-teenagers-climate-change-lawsuit

Im glad to hear you are still around and doing well

I also find the above post ironic because i can remember back to 2004 when you and Sarge routinely ganged up on me to call me a libtard ;)

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It was a joke.  Relax.  You'll live longer.

Might be living on ocean front property in Tennessee but you'll be living.  (Another joke)

It might be renamed "New Arizona" cuz it's 110 in the shade, but you'll be livin....maybe :P

12 minutes ago, zoony said:

I also find the above post ironic because i can remember back to 2004 when you and Sarge routinely ganged up on me to call me a libtard ;)

You say that like it's a bad thing Zoony. Is that what started your drinking habit? ;)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zoony said:

I'm doing OK. But I have never called you a libtard. EVER.

And if you can, go back and read a few posts from back then, me and Sarge often got into it big time. I probably have disagreed with you at some point over something. I may have even agreed with Sarge on a specific issue (maybe. he was pretty radical if I recall) but you must be thinking of someone else.

I'm not pointing fingers or naming names but a quick glance at the first dozen or so pages of this thread should make my point about this thread.  Here we are years later and the best hope we have right now is a bunch of kids doing exactly what I said should be done. I'm not looking for apologies or a pat on the back but I will stand up for myself and say that maybe my idea wasn't so crazy after all.

13 minutes ago, Mad Mike said:

I'm doing OK. But I have never called you a libtard. EVER.

And if you can, go back and read a few posts from back then, me and Sarge often got into it big time. I probably have disagreed with you at some point over something. I may have even agreed with Sarge on a specific issue (maybe. he was pretty radical if I recall) but you must be thinking of someone else.

I'm not pointing fingers or naming names but a quick glance at the first dozen or so pages of this thread should make my point about this thread.  Here we are years later and the best hope we have right now is a bunch of kids doing exactly what I said should be done. I'm not looking for apologies or a pat on the back but I will stand up for myself and say that maybe my idea wasn't so crazy after all.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm working on my Masters in Marine Biology. And I will tell you that climate change is completely ****ing up the ocean. Watching corals reefs die is a horrible thing in my line of work. There are a @#$%ton of things I see that depress the hell out of me as a Marine Biologist that are our fault. You ain't wrong. Keep up the good fight.

Edited by Morneblade

4 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm working on my Masters in Marine Biology. And I will tell you that climate change is completely ****ing up the ocean.

That does make me feel better. The ocean has had it far too good for far too long as far as I’m concerned.

32 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm working on my Masters in Marine Biology. And I will tell you that climate change is completely ****ing up the ocean. Watching corals reefs die is a horrible thing in my line of work. There are a @#$%ton of things I see that depress the hell out of me as a Marine Biologist that are our fault. You ain't wrong. Keep up the good fight.

I know. I follow it all.  

I said this to a scientist just the other day... These days everyone make a point of thanking military personnel for their service. Which is fine. I was doing it long before it was popular. But scientists like yourself deserve our thanks too. So thank YOU for fighting the good fight and advancing human knowledge, even if some are too corrupt or brainwashed to listen.

Meantine I'll continue to do what little I can with things like this... http://themadcentrist.com/2016/03/12/climate-change-and-the-fuel-of-denial/

BTW - love the handle. I read pretty much all of the Elric books back in HS. I bucked them up for the cool cover art and stuck around for the stories. :)

Edited by Mad Mike
  • Like 1