Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to sue the republican party for willful denial of scientific evidence about climate change.

Mad Mike

On 4/14/2018 at 6:55 PM, twa said:

at the rate over the last 100 yrs six degrees it will take almost 600 yrs, and that is if we don't enter a cooling period.

National Geographic went Hollywood :807:

Okay, but it isn't like there are no affects until 6 degrees.  I live in an older home based on current standards for new home (in NJ at least), it is poorly insulated.  To bring it up to current standards would be outrageously expensive.  But, I'm also paying for the insulation issue and every little bit I can do to improve the insulation helps me pay less.

It isn't an all or nothing situation in terms of costs in either direction.  Doing little bits to help reduce the costs associated with warming.  No, they don't "fix" the problem, but they do help control the longer term costs as compared to doing nothing.

Even new homes aren't perfectly insulated systems.  Doing such a thing is essentially impossible.  But that isn't a good argument to build homes with no insulation.  Nobody would argue that since it is impossible to completely insulate a home means that the money saved from some insulation isn't a benefit.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/decoding-weather-machine.html

NOVA piece on climate change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

30 years ago tomorrow Jim Hansen testified before Congress on the dangers of climate change.  At the time, he made predictions about future global temperatures at different emission levels.  If humans were not contributing to significantly due to warming (i.e. if climate change was mostly the result of natural phenomenon), there was no reason to believe that temperatures would continue to go up.  Here's Hansen's predictions in 1988 vs. reality:

h88_proj_vs_real.png

Clearly, the Null Hypothesis (that humans aren't contributing to warming) is wrong.  Scenario C under estimates output of most green house gases (C assumed that our output of things like CO2 would stop going up around 2000) and so under estimates actual warming.

Hansen didn't get everything right, but he was a lot closer to being right then he was wrong.

And we've learned a lot more about climate than in the 1988.

Scientists/science have been wrong about things in the past and will be in the future, but I don't think there's a comparable case where somebody made a science based prediction that has held up based on 30 years of data and the general idea being wrong.

One way or another, we're going to (have to) adapt.  The only question is what adaptions are going we to make.  We're going to pay the costs one way or another.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I’m sure our resident defenders of the status quo will tell us that this is all just normal.

Science tells us the earth will continue to warm until it starts to cool again.....be afraid. :)

or cope

18 minutes ago, twa said:

Science tells us the earth will continue to warm until it starts to cool again.....be afraid. :)

or cope

Bro, you can defend "conservative" platforms or whatever but pretending like man-made climate change isn't real is just boneheaded. TEAMS of EXPERTS... BRILLIANT people who have DEDICATED THEIR LIVES to mastering this field have determined that this is settled. GOP politicians who are bought off by really rich people who could get a little more rich if they didn't have to worry about the damage they are doing to the environment are telling you otherwise. There's no debating this. When you think you're debating it, you might as well be saying, "I am a tool of the GOP. This is one more example and probably the most glaring, of how I will always fall in line and do or believe whatever they tell me."

30 minutes ago, twa said:

or cope

Well, right now there is no plan to cope so I guess we should be afraid.

Edited by PeterMP

16 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Well, right now there is no plan to cope so I guess we should be afraid.

might as well since the proposed 'solution' are not solutions

Man made ignores ya'll ain't willing to check out save Gaia Sacks.

5 minutes ago, twa said:

might as well since the proposed 'solution' are not solutions

Man made ignores ya'll ain't willing to check out save Gaia Sacks.

Like I've said before, it is kind of like insulating your house.  There is no perfect solution for insulating your house (there is no such thing as a perfectly insulated house), but that doesn't mean you don't do as much to insulate as you can.  Every little bit helps.

1 minute ago, PeterMP said:

Like I've said before, it is kind of like insulating your house.  There is no perfect solution for insulating your house (there is no such thing as a perfectly insulated house), but that doesn't mean you don't do as much to insulate as you can.  Every little bit helps.

the anti nuclear folk took a wall out, good luck with insulating

1 hour ago, twa said:

or cope

Republicans tell us that dumping half a billion tons of man-made waste products into the air, per year, for 100 years straight, while also destroying the natural devices for dealing with that chemical, cannot possibly have any effect at all, and even if it does, then well, somebody (but not the people profiting from it) should just suck it up and deal with the results (which we also don't want you to pay attention to, or plan for).  

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Republicans tell us that dumping half a billion tons of man-made waste products into the air, per year, for 100 years straight, while also destroying the natural devices for dealing with that chemical, cannot possibly have any effect at all, and even if it does, then well, somebody (but not the people profiting from it) should just suck it up and deal with the results (which we also don't want you to pay attention to, or plan for).  

you are boring me, and probably wasting electricity.

1 hour ago, twa said:

or cope

What’s stupid is that you have your hand on the thermostat pushing the temps up and insisting that everyone should just “cope” with the damaging you’re insisting isn’t happening. 

Just now, AsburySkinsFan said:

What’s stupid is that you have your hand on the thermostat pushing the temps up and insisting that everyone should just “cope” with the damaging you’re insisting isn’t happening. 

OK :rolleyes:, wanna compare carbon footprints mr anti nuclear?

You know what else is a problem that would go away if all humans were extinct? Identity theft. Yup, if we just took humans out of the equation there'd be no more identity theft at all. Think about it. When was the last time you saw a dolphin digging through someone's trash looking for tax documents or financial statements? Barring that, there is absolutely no other possible way to help reduce the problem and nothing else to discuss. Kill all humans or quit whining.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, twa said:

the anti nuclear folk took a wall out, good luck with insulating

Right, out inability to due something about climate change is due to the anti-nuclear people.  It has nothing to do with the lies and misinformation that was spread by the fossil fuel industry and the right for years.

(Germany's 2018 emissions are expected to be flat, while ours are expected to increase.)

Edited by PeterMP