Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want to sue the republican party for willful denial of scientific evidence about climate change.

Mad Mike

On February 28, 2018 at 8:50 AM, twa said:

Why would they be stunned since it has certainly happened before?

(If you don't restrict the timeline.)

It has? Show me the proof of an event like this. If you cant, by your own logic I could say that you have certainly murdered someone before. By your argument I can make anything up. I can truthfully call you a bed wetter. You did did as a child I'm sure... if you extend the timeline. In continuing with your logic, since it happened in the past (even when you cant prove it), it must be happening again. Does that make sense?

“It’s never been this extreme,” Ruth Mottram, a climate scientist at the Danish Meteorological Institute, told Reuters.

Edited by Mad Mike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Mike said:

It has? Show me the proof of an event like this. If you cant, by your own logic I could say that you have certainly murdered someone before. By your argument I can make anything up. I can truthfully call you a bed wetter. You did did as a child I'm sure... if you extend the timeline. In continuing with your logic, since it happened in the past (even when you cant prove it), it must be happening again. Does that make sense?

I already linked events like this in my post

btw....what is the official rate it is actually  increasing?

I still piss myself occasionally, but that is kinda irrelevant :ols: I can link you to the science of why  

28 minutes ago, twa said:

I already linked events like this in my post

btw....what is the official rate it is actually  increasing?

I still piss myself occasionally, but that is kinda irrelevant :ols: I can link you to the science of why  

From the article in question....

“It’s never been this extreme,” Ruth Mottram, a climate scientist at the Danish Meteorological Institute, told Reuters.

And if you actually cared about reading and learning rather than defending your flawed position you would have found this link in the article...

https://news.agu.org/press-release/warm-winter-events-in-the-arctic-are-becoming-more-frequent-lasting-longer/

Since 1980, the number of winter warming events in the North Pole each year has more than doubled, from fewer than five events to more than 10 events, on average, and the average length of each event has grown from fewer than two days to nearly two and a half days. The total duration of winter warming events has increased from around 7 days per year to 21 days per year, on average

The future of humanity on planet earth is in real danger. funny stuff. 

28 minutes ago, twa said:

I'm glad. 

From your link....

To date, all 16 years of the 21st century rank among the seventeen warmest on record (1998 is currently the eighth warmest.) The five warmest years have all occurred since 2010.

You are literally proving yourself wrong.

• Haha 1

How am I proving my claim that we are warming until we start cooling again wrong? :ols:

The fact we are not entering a cooling phase is a good thing for humanity....but it is coming unless something else kills us off first(even then the earth will cool)

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What is your point, that we're talking about decimals right now?  You do realize it doesn't take much to do the damage many of us are worried about, right?

Give it another hundred yrs and get back to me.....if mother earth doesn't kill us off first

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

In 100 years the situation will be irreversible, is that what you want to wait for?

Isn't it already?

Especially since folk opposed nuclear and natural gas expansion.(of course we get some NG expansion to make up for wind/solar deficiencies anyway:))

1 minute ago, twa said:

Isn't it already?

No, its not, otherwise we wouldn't have the Paris Agreement that includes every country in the world except for us (with Trump leaving room for getting back in on, and hasn't officially pulled out of because he technically can't yet).

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No, its not, otherwise we wouldn't have the Paris Agreement that includes every country in the world except for us (with Trump leaving room for getting back in on, and hasn't officially pulled out of because he technically can't yet).

The Paris agreement is a waste of time and money, besides which the US is already reducing GG.

But since you insist....where is the tipping point?

2 minutes ago, twa said:

at the rate over the last 100 yrs six degrees it will take almost 600 yrs, and that is if we don't enter a cooling period.

National Geographic went Hollywood :807:

Jesus Christ, man, its speeding up, don't you get that?  There are pockets of methane in the permafrost that's melting, too, that's worse then CO2.

I see.  So you'd rather wait to see what happens since its not your problem anyway.  Got it.

Since the proposed solutions do next to nothing to prevent it that seems a reasonable course.

I'm open to better suggestions.

4 minutes ago, twa said:

Since the proposed solutions do next to nothing to prevent it that seems a reasonable course.

I'm open to better suggestions.

This is your opinion, not fact.  This is also what I hate about this debate because your stuck on whether it will work versus whether we should be doing it anyway.  Unless you're open to the differentiation between those two things, having a conversation with you about it is pointless.

• Like 1

This is your opinion, not fact.  This is also what I hate about this debate because your stuck on whether it will work versus whether we should be doing it anyway.  Unless you're open to the differentiation between those two things, having a conversation with you about it is pointless.

Probably so,I am results oriented

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/06/will-paris-tiny-effect-warming/

4 minutes ago, twa said:

Again, you're picking individual parts of this debate apart on how each individually each won't be enough.  It's the same thing happening in the Mass Murder Debate.

That's a framework to start with attempting to get us all on the same page, that's the point, we've NEVER done that, it's imperative that we do and start somewhere.  That's not the only solution, its just part of it.

Edited by Renegade7

• 2 weeks later...

‘Nothing even comes close’: Western Alaska sea ice at lowest extent since 1850, database indicates

A scientist with the National Weather Service said the amount of sea ice off Western Alaska coasts this spring was the lowest in more than 150 years of record-keeping.

The long-term look is based on the online Sea Ice Atlas created in 2014 by the University of Alaska Fairbanks, said Rick Thoman, a weather service climate scientist.

The database provides a long-term look at coastal sea ice from sources such as recent satellite data and historical records that include whaler's logs and Danish and Norwegian ship records.

There's no record of a February or March like Western Alaska coastal villages just witnessed, with limited to no sea ice, Thoman said.

"Nothing even comes close," he said.

Having open water instead of sea ice outside Little Diomede Island in the Bering Strait is unheard of for February, but waves pummeled the village of Diomede in one storm caught on a video that made headlines, said Thoman.

Click on the link for the full article