Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Just because 80,000 people can squeeze into Williams-Brice Stadium in South Carolina, doesnt mean they are an elite program.

And just because the some posters on ES decide they want the Terps to be an elite program doesn't make it true, or possible.

I never said the Game****s are an elite program, but they are much closer being elite than MD, they are in the SEC which makes them much more likely to be elite, and they have the infrastructure and reputation and league to be elite.

MD will never be elite in college football.  We can only enjoy our offbrand bowl games.

And Oregon isn't elite either.

Edited by chipwhich

And Oregon isn't elite either.

Say wha?

Oregon played Auburn down to the wire and was a crazy running play away from OT. They are a lock for the 2 seed in the playoffs. They have stupid money from Nike. They have the best facilities in the country (Bama is trying to copy them facilities wise). Oregon is elite. And they seem poised to stay that way for a while.

Say wha?

Oregon played Auburn down to the wire and was a crazy running play away from OT. They are a lock for the 2 seed in the playoffs. They have stupid money from Nike. They have the best facilities in the country (Bama is trying to copy them facilities wise). Oregon is elite. And they seem poised to stay that way for a while.

I was just referring to his South Carolina comment.  If South Carolina isn't elite, neither is Oregon.  But I consider elite more than what you have done for me lately.

http://bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2014-articles/college-football-s-elite-programs.html

Oregon has been good for about 10-15 years.  Alabama has 10 or so National Championships.  Oregon has none.  Even Maryland has a national championship in football.

I guess you need to define elite.

Forget about being elite -- It would be nice to go to a Maryland football game and have a full-ish upper deck, (and those extra stands in the end zone erected and full), and an expectation to win or be highly competitive in B1G games. Ralph had that level of momentum going for a couple years and then it slipped away. Hopefully new shiny UA toys will get then to the early 2000s level of product and beyond. 

• Like 2

After sleeping on it for a couple of nights, while the loss still stings, 4-4 and 7-5, with a 3rd place finish isn't bad in our first year in the BIG 10 and in the division of death.  I had us 4-4 or 5-3 with 7-5 or 8-4, so I wasn't far off.  We should have never lost that game. Instead of playing in Orlando/Tampa for a bowl, we'll be in Shreveport or Boise now.

Some things to look forward to in the future for MD football:

1) The school is now taking football more seriously then in the past as they know the BIG 10 is a football conference.

2) We are getting a brand new facility for football with the Cole Field house renovation.

3) Recruiting is getting better and we are taking our territory back from PSU and VATech.

4) We get more money per year then we did in the ACC, which will help us get out of the red. It may take a few years, but we'll be better financially in the long run.

5) We have Nike East with Under Armor and Kevin Plank.

Now, I'm not saying we'll be on the level of Bama, FL State, etc., but this will help us to be a  consistent 7-10 win type team and be competitive.  I think we may ultimately need a new coach to get to the next level and the lure of coaching in the BIG 10 might help to get a good coach the next time around. Hell, I'd take Pellini over Randy right now.

Edited by pjfootballer
  • Like 1

Well define elite.

A team that has never won a national championship is not elite.

an elite program is a program that is competing for a national title year in, year out, but its all fluid.

Nebraska isnt an elite program right now, despite being the program of the 1990s. Oregon is because they been at the top for about 6 or 7 years.

Penn State is deffo not an elite program right now for me. Colorado isn't either, despite being a dominant team in the 1990s.

Thats my definition.

I think we may ultimately need a new coach to get to the next level and the lure of coaching in the BIG 10 might help to get a good coach the next time around. Hell, I'd take Pellini over Randy right now.

i woldnt take Pellini, but I agree about this football program being a potential 7-10 win team a year with the right coach.

Its just not Edsall.

Edited by JoeWolf990

Congrats on your first season in the Big Ten guys.  7-5, 4-4 is nothing to be ashamed of.  Now do me a favor and go win a bowl game and help restore the conference's national image.

3) Recruiting is getting better and we are taking our territory back from PSU and VATech.

Are you?  Here's the current state rankings for Maryland:

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=MD&InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

I don't know where you stand with the #1 guy.  The #2 guy, Adam McLean, was a Penn State commit until last week.  Penn State had to let him go for academic reasons, so he may go the Juco route or go to a school that doesn't care as much about that.  Then you have South Carolina and Florida State before another Penn State commit at #5.  Then Georgia before you get your first Maryland guy at #7.  Then a few other schools, including another Penn State guy at #17.

For comparison, here's Pennsylvania:

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=PA

Four of the top five, and seven of the top 10, with the lone uncommitted guy being pursued, are staying in state with Penn State.  Subject to change of course, these are high school kids.  Ohio looks similar with Ohio State.

Virginia is odd, a lot of top guys still uncommitted, with a lot of Virginia Tech commits showing up in the teens.  Anyway, I think you have a little ways to go before you can say you've locked down your territory, but this season was a positive step for you guys.

Edited by Forehead

Congrats on your first season in the Big Ten guys.  7-5, 4-4 is nothing to be ashamed of.  Now do me a favor and go win a bowl game and help restore the conference's national image.

Are you?  Here's the current state rankings for Maryland:

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=MD&InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

I don't know where you stand with the #1 guy.  The #2 guy, Adam McLean, was a Penn State commit until last week.  Penn State had to let him go for academic reasons, so he may go the Juco route or go to a school that doesn't care as much about that.  Then you have South Carolina and Florida State before another Penn State commit at #5.  Then Georgia before you get your first Maryland guy at #7.  Then a few other schools, including another Penn State guy at #17.

For comparison, here's Pennsylvania:

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=PA

Four of the top five, and seven of the top 10, with the lone uncommitted guy being pursued, are staying in state with Penn State.  Subject to change of course, these are high school kids.  Ohio looks similar with Ohio State.

Virginia is odd, a lot of top guys still uncommitted, with a lot of Virginia Tech commits showing up in the teens.  Anyway, I think you have a little ways to go before you can say you've locked down your territory, but this season was a positive step for you guys.

2016 is the big year for Maryland (hopefully).

The DMV is loaded.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Congrats on your first season in the Big Ten guys. 7-5, 4-4 is nothing to be ashamed of. Now do me a favor and go win a bowl game and help restore the conference's national image.

Are you?

Virginia is odd, a lot of top guys still uncommitted, with a lot of Virginia Tech commits showing up in the teens. Anyway, I think you have a little ways to go before you can say you've locked down your territory, but this season was a positive step for you guys.

Disappointed in losing to Rutgers. 5-3, 8-4 would have been awesome. I don't hate anyone in the conference...yet, being new, so I'll root for all the other teams in the Big 10 to win their bowl games.

That's why I said "taking" and not "taken." I think we've made good strides. Our recruiting classes are getting better than they were 5 or 10 years ago. It will take a while, but with all the other points I made will help with recruiting.

Edited by pjfootballer

#B1GMBBall Player of the Week honors shared by Melo Trimble of .@TerrapinHoops & D.J. Newbill of @PennStateMBB. #B1G

Trimble also named #B1GMBBall Freshman of the Week. In 4 wins, averaged 21.3 ppg & 2.0 spg on 63.6% shooting. #B1G

In case you're not listening to the show, I'm hearing 2016 Good Counsel linebacker Keandre Jones has chosen the #Terps. Four-star prospect.

Good Counsel 2016 LB Keandre Jones on commitment to #Terps: “It was the easiest choice to make. With Maryland, I felt comfortable.”

comfortable.”

Proof facilities help in recruiting. First thing new Maryland commit Keandre Jones mentioned as why he committed were the new facilities

Adam Friedman        

.@gcfootball LB Keandre Jones' commitment to #UMD could come close to having the same affect as @stefon_diggs.

Adam Friedman @RivalsFriedman

How many players in the DMV could be affected by 2016 #Rivals250 LB Keandre Jones' commitment to #UMD? A lot

an elite program is a program that is competing for a national title year in, year out, but its all fluid.

Oregon is the Virginia Tech of college football.  Wannabe elite team, but pretenders in a league of the old school guard.  Notice where Va Tech is today.

Enough of the derail in the MD thread.