Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

MD lost to Rutgers and landed a 4-star 2016 recruit over PSU. Just to answer whether Saturday's game hurts recruiting

We'll see:

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MD

Looks like that's the #11 guy in MD and a good get.  Penn State currently has the #1 guy in MD for 2016, and is in on numbers 2-4.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very curious to see how the Big 10 move affects Maryland, and whether you guys can start stepping up to the big guns on a regular basis.  However, I still wish to pillage your state whenever possible ;)

We'll see:

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MD

Looks like that's the #11 guy in MD and a good get.  Penn State currently has the #1 guy in MD for 2016, and is in on numbers 2-4.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very curious to see how the Big 10 move affects Maryland, and whether you guys can start stepping up to the big guns on a regular basis.  However, I still wish to pillage your state whenever possible ;)

Yep. I think the Terps are getting 3-5 on that list.

Heck, I think they'll get 6,8,9 and 12 too.

We'll see..... ;)

No defense tonight vs. Virginia, particularly interior defense. Offense was sloppy, forced a lot of shots. Virginia is precise on offense and played lock down defense. They earned it.

Terps lack of interior presence is troubling (and what is going to prevent them from going far). Cekovsky isn't strong enough and is still learning. Dodd is raw and Graham is undersized. Smotrycz plays away from the basket too much and Layman is a SF.

Virginia is good, very good. Their defense means that they don't have to score that much, which is good since they don't have that one start player to take over.

As for Maryland, you are correct that they lack inside presence. That's going to be interesting to see against some of the trees in the B1G. I really like the freshman though. Trimble looks like he can get to the rim better than anyone at MD since Vasquez. He does it differently, since Vasquez could use his size but Trimble uses his quickness and moves in the air. I like what I see from Maryland so far, and will be excited to see them all together when conference season starts.

md grabs a 4 star recruit from PSU.  Woohoo!

No you didn't.  He was dropped by PSU for academic reasons, even though that hasn't been made particularly public.  Which is odd, because Maryland's are pretty high up there.  Congrats to the kid, but when his tweet announcing it states that he's the "new edition" to Maryland...well...

No you didn't.  He was dropped by PSU for academic reasons, even though that hasn't been made particularly public.  Which is odd, because Maryland's are pretty high up there.  Congrats to the kid, but when his tweet announcing it states that he's the "new edition" to Maryland...well...

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Adam-McLean-Commits-to-Maryland-33558387

Is this the same guy we are talking about?

Edited by skinfan2k

Yes.  He was committed to Penn State for awhile, very rah rah, then started tweeting cryptic stuff about how he "wished things came as easy to him as they did to others" and things like that.  Then a few weeks later, he decommitted from Penn State.

I follow a few insiders and some other folks who have connections, and the general rumor is it was a mutual decision between him and Penn State because it didn't look like he would qualify academically.  Whether he wound up at Maryland or somewhere else, I figured he was going to go the Juco or Hargrave route for a year.

Nothing against Maryland.  As I've said, I don't particularly care for your squad but I am curious to see how being in the Big 10 treats your program.  But I don't think you can really count this as a victory over Penn State given the circumstances.

Adam McLean's commitment also bumped the #Terps' 2015 class up to No. 5 in the Big Ten. http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/CompositeTeamRankings?Conference=Big-Ten 

Barring he makes it academically, that is a huge boost for local recruiting. Oh, and adds another dimension to MD-PSU "rivalry."

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Congrats to the kid, but when his tweet announcing it states that he's the "new edition" to Maryland...well...

Maybe he just meant he's got to cool it noooooow... Watch out!  He's got to cool it nooooooow...  He's gonna lose control!

• Like 1

The 6-foot-2, 290-pound McLean is active and well liked among Maryland recruits in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 classes, and he plans on using that clout to help finish off the Terps’ 2015 class, and add to the 2016 class.

“This is the best decision of my life and now we’re going to take over the entire area and be on lockdown,” McLean said. “We’re going to take over the entire area. Trust me. Great things are coming. We’re going to be on the lock down and we’re going to be recruiting hard.

Adam McLean:

"I can get a great degree at Maryland," he said. "A lot of people are saying I'm going to go to a junior college or that I won't qualify. Those people have no idea what they're talking about. It's funny to sit back and watch because they have no idea what they're talking about. I will get into Maryland. I will play at Maryland. The only thing that will keep me from playing my freshman year at Maryland is my ACL timeframe. Even if I can't play because of my ACL I'll get a redshirt year. I'd rather take too much time than not enough time."

For much of his time as a Penn State commit McLean was known as their best recruiter. He is looking to take on the same role at Maryland.

"On top of all that, I'm sure that people saw how much I helped recruit at Penn State," he said. "I just want to let people know that it's game over. It's on lockdown now and we're going to get whoever we want now. I'm going after Dwayne Haskins, Byron Cowart and everybody."

"Keandre Jones knew that I was going to commit to Maryland before he committed to Maryland," McLean said. "He didn't up and commit to Maryland for no reason. We talked right before he committed and I told him I'd be on the same page really soon." 

Barring he makes it academically......

Precisely.  From what I'm hearing now, Penn State apparently approached McLean and asked him to attend prep school for a year, which McLean did not want to do.  I guess Maryland was willing to take the risk, but there's a good chance he isn't going to wear your uniform for awhile.

I don't get involved much on college boards, but there was a lot of back and forth between Penn State and Maryland fans about who had superior academics.  Why that was part of the trash talk leading up to the game, I have no idea, both are very good schools.  It appears Edsall was willing to ignore that potential red flag and he pounced after the mutual decommitment.  It makes a certain amount of sense when you're trying to make a splash.  I just hope I won't get any holier than thou attitudes about academics from you MD. folks here ;)

I wish nothing but the best for the kid, but I hope he picks it up in the classroom so he has multiple options later in life.

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Commit-and-Penn-State-De-Commit-Adam-McLean-on-Decision-33579468

McLean on Smokescreens, 'Uncle' Locksley and His Change of Heart

Maryland fans and recruiting observers alike were caught off guard when Quince Orchard (Md.) lineman Adam McLean, the No. 13 defensive tackle and No. 121 player overall in the 247Sports Composite rankings, committed to Maryland Thursday evening. According to McLean, who never publicly expressed his interest in Maryland and instead talked up other schools, the surprise factor was was intentional.

"I wanted people to believe differently," he said, "because I wanted it to be a big deal for Maryland."

For Maryland, which loses all three starters on its defensive line, McLean is a big addition. While head coachRandy Edsall sealed the deal, it was the Terps' local recruiting ace, Mike Locksley, who laid the groundwork. Maryland hadn't been involved in McLean's recruitment for most of the calendar year until Locksley got in touch with McLean shortly after his decision to re-open his recruitment.

"With coach Locksley, it wasn't really a sales pitch. Coach Locks is from here and he recruited a lot of my really friends to Maryland -- Yannick [Ngakoue], Jermaine [Carter], Jesse [Aniebonam], Stefon Diggs. He definitely cares about us [local players] in a different way," McLean said. "It wasn't really recruiting talk. It was more like a deeper relationship, never from a recruiting standpoint. I kind of felt like he was an uncle or something."

McLean had been hearing from several schools since re-opening his recruitment. He visited Washington State last weekend, and while he enjoyed himself, the trip actually boosted Maryland's chances.

"Washington State was a beautiful place. I loved it. But it kind of solidified my thinking about playing for the hometown team," he said.

McLean, a 6-foot-2, 290-pound senior, is no stranger to recruiting hype. He was regarded as a pied piper of sorts for Penn State's highly rated recruiting class from the minute he committed in April until his de-committment in November, working to develop relationships with other top recruits. McLean considers himself an ace recruiter and said he's already heard from several recruits about his commitment to Maryland -- including a few committed to other schools but entertaining the idea of flipping their commitments.

"There's a couple of guys that want to do that, that I'm working my magic on. I think, to be honest, we can get a lot of the top players, not just here. I'm pretty sure people are aware of what what I did at Penn State and my ability to recruit," McLean said. "There are some 2015 kids who we can get, but with it [being late in the 2015 cycle], primarily I'm focusing on the 2016 class.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/12/5/7340479/3-recruiting-experts-forecast-dwayne-haskins-to-maryland

3 recruiting experts forecast Dwayne Haskins to Maryland

247sports director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong, IMS Maryland insider Jeff Ermann and Varsity Preps director of scouting Demetric Warren have all projected the four-star 2016 Quarterback to commit to the Terps. Haskins is the best quarterback prospect out of the state in a long, long time, and a commitment for him would be program-changing.

Haskins would be a great get for you guys.  I know Penn State was trying but I don't know if we ever had a real shot, I don't think there was mutual interest.  We wound up having a different QB commit last week, and I don't think they'd take two.  If the recruiting sites are to be believed, your main competition for him is Ohio State and Notre Dame.

And in case you're wondering, the guy we took is ranked 10 spots lower in the 2016 QB ratings.  I guess we thought there was no chance of getting Haskins to look at us.  Hey, it you keep him from Ohio State, that's 1/2 a win in my book.

MT just got a top 12 recruiting class and we are in the running for the top center in the nation.  Im worried about his coaching more than getting players

The problem was always his coaching, he always recruited well, you can see with WElls. But Maryland hasn't been to the tournament in 4 years. That's not excusable. 

The problem was always his coaching, he always recruited well, you can see with WElls. But Maryland hasn't been to the tournament in 4 years. That's not excusable. 

and they should make it this year assuming wells and everyone stays healthy.  This team has shooters and the a good PG to run the offense