Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Somewhat big early season game for Maryland basketball tomorrow against Arizona State. Potential resume builder. I'll be watching.

Nice win by the Terps tonight. Melo Trimble looks like the real deal. Broke Joe Smith's all time freshman scoring record tonight. Trimble finished with 30.

• Like 1

Nice win! Close fought game- the type of game Maryland probably would've lost the past few years. Melo Trimble looks legit. Great strong dribble skills, precise shot. He didn't make any horrible decisions. Best part - 11/12 from the free throw line, including two clutch ones in the final seconds. Overall I like the depth on the squad. Would like to see better inside presence, Dodd seems strong and has a lot of length, they should post him more. Layman hustles, and Wells came through in the clutch.

I actually thought they looked like the most mature team since Turgeon came here.  Trimble didn't make a bunch of dumb plays, and they stayed in a tight game.  Addition by subtraction I guess.

• Like 3

Final: Maryland 78, Arizona State 73. Melo Trimble with a Terp freshman record 31 points to lead the way. Dez Wells with 14.

Correction: Melo Trimble's 31 points is not a Maryland freshman record. Joe Smith had 33 points as a freshman. H/T @jonas_shaffer

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

They actually looked like a team with a high basketball IQ…something that this team has been missing over the past few years. Trimble is the real deal. Dodd has the look of a legitimate post presence. ASU might not be a great team, but they shot the lights out from three. I was impressed by the Terps resolve in this game. I was impressed by this win.

Edited by jobaga
  • Like 1

I kinda wish Mitchell stayed. We are kinda weak down low. Dodd is somewhat raw and Cekovsky needs some work. Getting Smotrycz back will help and we have Graham but that's about it. I guess Layman too but I see him more as a SF. I liked how he was more aggressive last night, he can score if he wants.

If this new wave plays with the poise they did last night, the mass defections won't look so bad. Seth Allen was the only one I was really upset about losing.

If a program has received some sort of sanctions, players leave.  The mass defections at MD were because those guys could see that they were not going to play. Turgeon was going to plug new recruits ahead of them, and he certainly told them such.  Big time basketball. The Terp Program is finally at a point where they are competitive in recruiting.  People have to realize that they have been relatively dormant, recruiting wise, for 20some years.

So idiot me didn't realize some PG lit it up last night. Who needs Seth Allen when you have that guy. 

That doesn't change the fact that Turgeon has never been to the tournament with MD. When you succeed a legend like Gary you are put up to high standards. When you can't win out of conference games and keep struggling to make the tournament you are not a good coach. Period. 

It took Edsall one year to turn the losing around. Turgeon has been losing for 3 years so far.  :lol:  And it's not like he can't recruit talent. It's only now starting to surface. The question is whether it will be consistent. Hopefully that PG whose name I can't remember will be consistent and Maryland will be a tournament team again although it is highly unlikely 

FINAL: Maryland 72, No. 13 Iowa State 63. Jared Nickens with 14 huge points off the bench. Terps are 5-0 to start the season.

A 9-point victory over the 13th-ranked team in the nation on a neutral floor=great way to build your NCAA tournament resume

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Yeah!  As silly as it sounds, that's the biggest win Maryland has had in a while.  Haven't won an early season tournament in at least 3-4 years.

I got home from the Wizards game and started watching with 15:00 left.  Nickens showed me something, he hit some huge shots.  All the freshmen did.  Defense was solid, Cekovsky has such length, as does Dodd.  They altered some shots and grabbed some rebounds.  Wells sort of faltered down the stretch, but he grabbed a big rebound and hit a shot or two.  He was pressing a bit though.

All in all looking good so far, hopefully the team can keep growing.

Much more mature play, yet again.  We got rid of the problem children just like the Wizards.

I must say, the subtraction of Cleare, Mitchell, Allen, and Faust somehow seems exactly what this team needed.  They were all faily worthless talent and character wise save Mitchell and Allen, and even they were forgettable.

Replace them with what looks like a very talented freshman class.

• Like 2

Maryland did lose 5 transfers after last season, but Terps' talent base wasn't drained because of elite recruiting class. Team is talented.

Fun to watch last night.  It will be a fun year to watch them.

I believe there will certainly be ups and downs, as they will rely on freshmen to lead the way.  We will see losses to teams that they should beat and wins vs teams ranked much higher than them.

I know that each game will be entertaining.

• Like 1

Biggest issue in Turgeon's first 3 years was beating non-conference opponents. They didn't beat enough of them. Beating ASU and ISU will impress people later on should they stay relevant in March. And I know I'm hard on Turgeon but the fact is simply he has not gotten it done in 3 years. Period. I hope this is his year because he's had more than enough time to resurrect this program