Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I agree with you about Fridge but that still doesn't mean Edsall is the man for the job.

When AD Anderson hired Edsall he said the intent was to go "from good to great".

Well that's great and all but you don't hire Randy Edsall if that's your intent.

The university finally seems to be supporting the football program completely.

Uptick in recruiting, 155m indoor practice facility etc etc but you're still stuck with a mediocre coach.

I am not an Edsall fan, but I have said this about other sports teams in our town, ya gotta walk before you can run.  What "man for the job" would want to coach Maryland football.  The stadium sucks and they have never been a football program.

We couldn't even be competitive in the ACC.

Maryland won 7 games in a year 9 years out of 30 years.  Let's not blame all of the woes on Edsall.  If anyone had of picked them to win 7 games this year that woulda been crazy talk.

MD is not a football school, they don't have a stadium that can draw recruits, and where I live in Maryland, I am lucky to see them on TV in the first half of the year.

Fridge only won games with his predecessors recruits, he got worse every year with his own players.

Let's not rewrite history.

Say what you want about Fridge, but his record over his 10 years at UMD was 75-10.  His record in his final year was 9-4, with a Bowl win (unless he had 20+ tenth year starters, these were "his guys"), so don't start with the recruiting nonsense.

He completely turned around the stagnant program, and they played in bowls 7 of his 10 years there, winning 5.

Yes, there could have been better years, but the school, as you say, doesn't promote the football program well.

When they decided to replace him, they could have gone for a coach who was more fun to watch, but instead went with a guy from UConn, who continues to coach like he's at UConn.  Not what this program needs.

Like I said, the Big-10 East is down this year, big time.  This team doesn't improve drastically and they will be dregs really soon.

And by the way,  lived in MD my whole life and rooted for the Terps the entire time (Class '89), so I'm very up to speed with the history.

Say what you want about Fridge, but his record over his 10 years at UMD was 75-10.  His record in his final year was 9-4, with a Bowl win (unless he had 20+ tenth year starters, these were "his guys"), so don't start with the recruiting nonsense.

Ya might want to check your stats.  75-10?  Lol.

Like I said, you can't expect much from a coach at MD.  We were a contender when I went there with Bobby Ross and we refused to do the things he wanted to be a football program.  Fridge did a great job here.  People tired of him.   But he was as good as MD should expect given their commitment to the program and the joke of a stadium we play in.  Did I say I can't see a lot of games on TV in MD?

Fridge was 2-10 the year before he was fired, so 75-10 must be a typo.

It just cracks me up that this is the only loss this year that was a game MD should have won, and the Fire Edsall crowd climbs out from under the rocks. Thanks for the levity. I was mad after the game, but seeing the clowns come out has made me laugh.

Edsall is the coach that is the stop gap before this program is truly elite.  MD will be a top program in football in 4 years when all the facilities are made and then we are going to be looking for our steve spurrier or chip kelly. 

Elite programs have capacities in the 90,000+ range.  Byrd stadiums record attendance is under 60,000.  We will never be an "elite" program.  That's not how college football works.  Sorry.

Elite programs have capacities in the 90,000+ range.  Byrd stadiums record attendance is under 60,000.  We will never be an "elite" program.  That's not how college football works.  Sorry.

and who is to say that Byrd stadium will be that facility?  Once the team house is out from gusset, i am sure major renovations will occur to Byrd to add seating.

and who is to say that Byrd stadium will be that facility?  Once the team house is out from gusset, i am sure major renovations will occur to Byrd to add seating.

If you know college football, you will know Maryland will never be elite.  Don't kid yourself.  I could explain it to you, but if you don't already understand why, well you don't understand the sport.

If you know college football, you will know Maryland will never be elite.  Don't kid yourself.  I could explain it to you, but if you don't already understand why, well you don't understand the sport.

You are an idiot.  MD will be the new Oregon in 3 years.  

He completely turned around the stagnant program, and they played in bowls 7 of his 10 years there, winning 5.

Yes, there could have been better years, but the school, as you say, doesn't promote the football program well.

When they decided to replace him, they could have gone for a coach who was more fun to watch, but instead went with a guy from UConn, who continues to coach like he's at UConn.  Not what this program needs.

Like I said, the Big-10 East is down this year, big time.  This team doesn't improve drastically and they will be dregs really soon.

And by the way,  lived in MD my whole life and rooted for the Terps the entire time (Class '89), so I'm very up to speed with the history.

his record was not 75-10

he would average 7-1 seasons every year? impossible

Lets not re-write history, no blue chip talent wanted to play for a coach that fat. Its just the truth. He could coach his socks off during the game, but was a poor recruiter. His teams got progressively worse.

One thing Edsall is doing well is recruiting. Its not an open road for Florida State, Penn State, Ohio State anymore, and its completely closed for Virginia Tech now. Thats the big positive he has going for him, but his in-game coaching is amateurish at best.

Maryland has a chance to become a big program due to the Under Armour backing, but Edsall is the guy laying the ground work. He will not reap from it because it is above his stations.

Did I say I can't see a lot of games on TV in MD?

this may be true if you dont have the sports package on cable or satellite.

All of Maryland games have been on TV this year except the James Madison one. Either one of the ESPN channels or the B1G Network.

Notre Dame is considered elite...whether true or not.

They are a little over 80k. Upgrading to around 84k.

The stadium is not what makes teams great. Ask any owner around any league, nor is the capacity.

• Like 1

The stadium is not what makes teams great. Ask any owner around any league, nor is the capacity.

My point was more with regards to recruiting.  Big stadiums, big lights, big time TV games attract big time recruits.  There is very little compelling for a superstar to come to Maryland.

Having family from the south, and a daughter in an SEC school, it's clear to me why MD can never be an elite football program.

My point was more with regards to recruiting.  Big stadiums, big lights, big time TV games attract big time recruits.  There is very little compelling for a superstar to come to Maryland.

Having family from the south, and a daughter in an SEC school, it's clear to me why MD can never be an elite football program.

you have a daughter. I know a ton of people who actually went to the NFL and played there and a couple of them went to UMD.  The big stadiums and big lights is just what we think.  MD offers athletes the best services that anyone can offer now.  with the additions that under armour is bringing, we will have one of the best facilities in the country. 

• Like 1

you have a daughter. I know a ton of people who actually went to the NFL and played there and a couple of them went to UMD.  The big stadiums and big lights is just what we think.  MD offers athletes the best services that anyone can offer now.  with the additions that under armour is bringing, we will have one of the best facilities in the country. 

It has nothing to do with me having a daughter, I know people that went to Maryland and went to the NFL too.  When you are in the South like Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, etc.  Those whole states pretty much revolve around college football.  When game day comes around, towns are deserted, places close, people from all around fill stadiums, every seat, even if the team is losing.  They have sport radio that talks about high school athletes, and who should be recruited.

In MD, DC, Va nobody gives a **** about college football.  When MD plays you can't even sell out the stadium, it gets a lot of opposing fans.  There is nothing here that says football to a recruit.  Of course some players will end up in the NFL, that doesn't mean we can be elite.

The basketball team has one of the best basketball facilities, it hasn't done **** for our recruiting.

Edited by chipwhich

The basketball team has one of the best basketball facilities, it hasn't done **** for our recruiting.

yeah no wonder why we just got a top 10 recruiting class.  The administration stayed away from the top guys because of gary and it took MD a lot of time to recover from gary's exit.  They are finally changing. Keep talking because you have no idea what you are talking about as always. 

yeah no wonder why we just got a top 10 recruiting class.  The administration stayed away from the top guys because of gary and it took MD a lot of time to recover from gary's exit.  They are finally changing. Keep talking because you have no idea what you are talking about as always. 

LOL, ok call me when you are right.

LOL, ok call me when you are right.

So you are disagreeing me that we have a top 10 recruiting class. Yeah ok.  I love how every single fact you bring up, you don't have any sources while i have things to back up what i say.  But like everything you post on this website, its all BS.

We can recruit. Dez Wells and Trimble are an example. The problem is that Turgeon was an idiot and couldn't get any wins agains tnon-conference teams. We have not been to the tournament since he was hired. 

You have to understand Gary Williams was a legend and he got a lot done with guys like Gilchrest, Juan Dixon, and even Grieves. I miss Grieves. He was awesome. And he would just talk **** all day. He was the best. 

And then Turgeon comes in...they miss the tournament 3 straight years, he's ruined what Gary did. He can recruit but he couldn't win games. This year he is winning games though. He knocked off ASU and ISU. That's pretty good. I need to see him do this for a full year, because if they miss the tournament this year? Guess what? He's fired. 

So you are disagreeing me that we have a top 10 recruiting class. Yeah ok.  I love how every single fact you bring up, you don't have any sources while i have things to back up what i say.  But like everything you post on this website, its all BS.

You aren't having a discussion you are just attacking me.

Our basketball team had a top recruiting class after we won the National Championship.  How did that work out?  We just lost a bunch of scholarship players last year, the program appeared to be a train wreck.  Some wanted Turgeon gone.  The proof is in continuous recruiting, not one year.  The elite teams are already gobbling up the 2015 elite basketball players, MD hasn't signed 5 or 4 star recruit for 2015.

Bobby Ross wanted to make MD a football school, MD pushed him out the door.  MD athletics is financially broke.  If it wasn't for Kevin Plank the whole sports program would be in disarray.

I am a Maryland fan, I graduated from MD, I grew up in PG county, I have followed the team since I was old enough to enjoy sports.  I know what I am talking about.

Edited by chipwhich

You aren't having a discussion you are just attacking me.

Our basketball team had a top recruiting class after we won the National Championship.  How did that work out?  We just lost a bunch of scholarship players last year, the program appeared to be a train wreck.  Some wanted Turgeon gone.  The proof is in continuous recruiting, not one year.  The elite teams are already gobbling up the 2015 elite basketball players, MD hasn't signed 5 or 4 star recruit for 2015.

Bobby Ross wanted to make MD a football school, MD pushed him out the door.  MD athletics is financially broke.  If it wasn't for Kevin Plank the whole sports program would be in disarray.

I am a Maryland fan, I graduated from MD, I grew up in PG county, I have followed the team since I was old enough to enjoy sports.  I know what I am talking about.

Do you know why it failed? Gary didn't like the AAU player and the 1 and done players.  He stayed away and got stingy to think he can make any 2 star into a 4 star.  

We just lost a bunch of scholarship atheletes lol?  Seriously.  Those guys were garbage and enabled us to bring us in a top 10 class.  When they get diamond stone, they will have another top 10 class. It takes years for a new coach to get recruits unless you are unc, duke, kentucky or kansas.  Arizona felt the same way for years in the mid 2000s as well. 

UA will save MD.  

Autzen stadium only seats 54,000 with the highest attendance being 60,000. Is Oregon football a small program?

What kids care about is infrastructure improvement, ie money on their facilities and equipment. Improvement to the weight rooms, etc. Those are things Maryland is finally doing with the Under Armour and B1G money.

Just because 80,000 people can squeeze into Williams-Brice Stadium in South Carolina, doesnt mean they are an elite program.

• Like 1