Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Maryland LB Jesse Aniebonam said Terps 2016 LB commit Keandre Jones (Good Counsel) reminds him of former Good Counsel star LB Jelani Jenkins

Matt Zenitz @mzenitz

Jenkins was a five-star recruit who played at Florida and is now a starting outside linebacker for the Dolphins

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Click to read the rest. http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Terps-Football-Four-Youngsters-Worthy-of-Foster-Farms-Bowl-Reps-34192419

Foster Farms Bowl: Four Freshmen for the Future

Maryland football coach Randy Edsall, set to lose much of his starting lineup to graduation, has stressed the importance of getting reps for some younger players in preparation for -- and perhaps during -- Maryland's Foster Farms Bowl game Tuesday against Stanford. Here are five young Terps who could benefit from the opportunity.

Jermaine Carter

Carter was the one player Edsall named Sunday when asked if any young guys have stood out in practice.

“A lot of guys took advantage of the practices, but one guy is Jermaine Carter. I think Jermaine has really done a good job. I think he’s got a chance to be a really good football player," Edsall said. "He plays physically. He’s not afraid to get on people playing that middle linebacker position you need a guy like that with that kind of toughness and that kind of leadership.”

Maryland's had a veteran-laden linebacking corps during Carter's first two years, but with inside linebackers L.A. Goree and Cole Farrand graduating, he's slotted to start next year. The redshirt freshman is a bit undersized for the position at six feet tall, but he packs a punch and has a knack for making plays; despite limited playing time, he led Maryland with two forced fumbles, including a crucial one late in the win at Penn State. Judging by Edsall's comments, he should see some decent action Tuesday.

Jesse Aniebonam

Aniebonam has gotten a decent number of snaps this season, but the depth chart's been stocked with three senior outside linebackers -- Matt Robinson, Yannik Cudjoe-Virgil and Alex Twine -- and a budding star sophomore (Yannick Ngakoue), so next year is his time to shine. Aniebonam is a blur for his size and could team with Ngakoue to give the Terps a dynamic pass rush (see below). It'll be interesting to see if Edsall works him in for some extra reps against Stanford.

It has nothing to do with me having a daughter, I know people that went to Maryland and went to the NFL too. When you are in the South like Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, etc. Those whole states pretty much revolve around college football. When game day comes around, towns are deserted, places close, people from all around fill stadiums, every seat, even if the team is losing. They have sport radio that talks about high school athletes, and who should be recruited.

In MD, DC, Va nobody gives a **** about college football. When MD plays you can't even sell out the stadium, it gets a lot of opposing fans. There is nothing here that says football to a recruit. Of course some players will end up in the NFL, that doesn't mean we can be elite.

The basketball team has one of the best basketball facilities, it hasn't done **** for our recruiting.

*DING*

I was shocked at the devotion to NCAAF when I moved down here. For the most part, if you're a blue chip college football recruit, you're looking at the Confederate Conference first and others second. They have the tradition, history, facilities and nobody else's boosters will pay you more. ;) Aside from that, if you're a decent or in some cases even mediocre talent and you don't make it to the NFL, the locals will absolutely take care of you with some kind of gig. If you're good in college and bust in the NFL, you're golden. So by way of example, Herschel Walker is probably the only Black person in the state with even a snowball's chance at winning the governor's office in GA. :D ...and don't even get me started with Texas.

MD had incredible luck in switching conferences while a number of the schools there were having a down year and all we did was go one game over .500. We'd just better hope that the bump in recruiting/talent is enough for us to at least tread water next year. Even so, I think Edsall overachieved his ceiling this year. If we're going to ever make it to our max potential, ie being a solid perennial 8-9 win team ranked in the low to mid teens, we're going to need a real coach.

Edited by The Sisko

So, what was the big news?

We play our first Big 10 game tonight. Have it recorded because I work until 5 and then I'm going to the gym.

The big news is that Maryland (might) be on the verge of getting mass commitments from the 2016 class.

I'm talking about at least 13 players led by Dwayne Haskins (#2 QB in the nation).

The big news is that Maryland (might) be on the verge of getting mass commitments from the 2016 class.

I'm talking about at least 13 players led by Dwayne Haskins (#2 QB in the nation).

When will we know? I'm sorry, I just don't follow recruiting. That's why I appreciate SO much what you do in here.

Dino Gaudio said Melo Trimble is on par with where Chris Paul was his freshman year. Gaudio coached Paul at Wake Forest #terps

Rob Carlin @RobCarlinCSN

Happy #Terps-a-palooza Day! @TerrapinHoops play Michigan St at 5.. @MarylandPride play Stanford in bowl game at 10.. #TerpsTalk