Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Man that sucks. I was just thinking how the world seemed a little more right with Terps bball seemingly back on track. Better now than later though. If Dez is out 4 weeks, then I think they should still be in pretty good shape. Really puts a damper on the UVA, OK State, and maybe Michigan State games though. Hopefully, they can get at least one of those big 3 in the next month and Dez will be back for when the conference schedule kicks in, starting on Dec 30. Any other potential pitfalls here?

Monmouth today

VMI-Nov 30

UVA-Dec 3

Winthrop- Dec 6

NCCU- Dec 10

UPST- Dec 13

OK St- Dec 21

Oak- Dec 27

MSU- Dec 30

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2014/11/28/dez-wells-miss-four-weeks-fractured-wrist/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/11/28/7302857/maryland-basketball-dez-wells-injury-replacement-2014

Edited by SoulSkin

Whew close one. I like Layman's tenacity but he forced some stuff tonight and was a bit out of control. Trimble almost gave it up a few times towards the end. Freshman nerves. Credit to Monmouth, they've made the tournament before. One of those mid-major programs that can give teams trouble.

Question for you all, the National championship team, no McDonald's All American. They had one on the team who had transferred the previous year, to Notre Dame IIRC. My question: what was his name? For some reason I keep think Danny Miller. How close am I?

(thinking about this because listening to Terps talk on 980 right now (guess what 106.7 the Fail is talking about?) and they're discussing the McDonald's All American the Terps got now and how until he tests the NBA waters

Click on the link to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/After-Ups-and-Downs-Defenses-Seniors-Look-to-Finish-on-a-High-33311716

After Ups and Downs, Defense's Seniors Look to Finish on a High

Maryland’s defense has had little trouble finding motivation for its last three games -- a rivalry game against Penn State on the road, a night game against nationally ranked Michigan State in front of a “blackout” home crowd, and last week on the road as underdogs against Michigan in the nation’s biggest college football stadium.

Today's game against Rutgers may not seem as important to come fans, but the Terps' defense will be just as motivated as it looks to send off eight senior starters with one final victory in Byrd Stadium.

The unit has shown a lot of heart in each of the past three contests while being left on the field for an average of over eight minutes more than the opposition’s defense. The Terps have only allowed one play to go over 25 yards in the two road wins, and against Michigan State, the defense drew a line in the dirt and made big stops on third downs consistently.

In those past three games, they’ve allowed 17 conversions on third downs in 51 attempts, a 33 percent conversation rate, which would rank them top-15 in the nation across the entire season.

"I think they have a respect for the game and each other as well as mental toughness, because all of them went through a lot,” said defensive coordinator Brian Stewart, who has been with the team for the past three years.

The defensive turnaround came after being embarrassed against Wisconsin, allowing 52 points and 311 yards on the ground.

“We just got tired of people -- letting people run up the score and letting people run up the yards -- so there definitely comes a point in time when you have to do something about it,” said senior defensive tackle Darius Kilgo, who recently accepted an invitation to the East-West Shrine game. “And I think we did that as a defense. And I think guys have learned their roles in the defense and they’re learning to execute. I just feel like we’re at the point where we don’t want people to score on us at all. If we can hold a team to the field goal game, that’s good but we don’t even want that.”

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Danny Miller, Terps made the final four and he transferred out. I don't remember why he transferred.

Lol got to say, pretty proud of myself for remembering that.

(I was a HUGE Terps fan though back in the day, pre-championship, pre-Final Fours, hell pre-Joe Smith even.

I was brought up on all things local and followed Georgetown, GW, American, etc, went to Mason summer bball camps ever year and taken to their games constantly, so on and so forth. Above all though, I was raised on ACC basketball, raised on ACC legend and lore, and being a Washingtonian, the Terps were naturally my squad.

And then they (the ACC, not the Terps) went and ****ed up something great, something perfect. Just so sad I won't be able to share something truly special with my kids and grandkids like it was shared with me.)

Sorry. Sorry for the hijack. With me falling off the NFL...HARD, trying to figure out what to turn my newly-free sports time to and just reminiscing as a result.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

The game was turned on special teams mistakes. The roughing the kicker not only prevented MD from stomping on the throat, but gave Rutgers momentum when they were dead. Follow that up with giving up a huge kick return leading to a quick TD by Rutgers. Then a kick catch interference to start the next Rutgers drive which was another TD. Just big mistakes when all you need to do is prevent big plays and major mistakes.

Edsall gonna Edsall.  :(

He needs to be fired (well, he needs to never have been hired, but that is another discussion).

Just another example of a coach who is way over his head with a team like this.

The honest assessment is that the Big-10 East division was way down this season, with Michigan and Penn St way below expected levels.  They won both of those games simply because their opponents made more mistakes then they did.  When they played the 3 good Big 10 teams, they got crushed in 2 of them and beaten badly in the third.

He has made horrible decisions all season and tonight was just another good example.  How do you not get a team ready to play in the 2nd half, with a BIG bowl game on the line?  How do you not change the defensive set-up after a team shreds you 3 times on 3 drives (hint - some pressure may have helped)?  How do you still make idiotic decisions on tough, short yardage calls (hello - CJ brown isn't a great passer, but he sure as spit can make a run, especially since he's not usually accounted for on short yardage)?

Hard, hard second half to watch.  I firmly believe any decent division 2 or 3 coach would have done better in second half.  What a joke.

Edited by btfoom
  • Like 1

He needs to be fired (well, he needs to never have been hired, but that is another discussion).

Just another example of a coach who is way over his head with a team like this.

The honest assessment is that the Big-10 East division was way down this season, with Michigan and Penn St way below expected levels.  They won both of those games simply because their opponents made more mistakes then they did.  When they played the 3 good Big 10 teams, they got crushed in 2 of them and beaten badly in the third.

He has made horrible decisions all season and tonight was just another good example.  How do you not get a team ready to play in the 2nd half, with a BIG bowl game on the line?  How do you not change the defensive set-up after a team shreds you 3 times on 3 drives (hint - some pressure may have helped)?  How do you still make idiotic decisions on tough, short yardage calls (hello - CJ brown isn't a great passer, but he sure as spit can make a run, especially since he's not usually accounted for on short yardage)?

Hard, hard second half to watch.  I firmly believe any decent division 2 or 3 coach would have done better in second half.  What a joke.

Maryland won 7 games in a year 9 years out of 30 years.  Let's not blame all of the woes on Edsall.  If anyone had of picked them to win 7 games this year that woulda been crazy talk.

MD is not a football school, they don't have a stadium that can draw recruits, and where I live in Maryland, I am lucky to see them on TV in the first half of the year.

Fridge only won games with his predecessors recruits, he got worse every year with his own players.

Let's not rewrite history.

Edited by chipwhich

Maryland won 7 games in a year 9 years out of 30 years.  Let's not blame all of the woes on Edsall.  If anyone had of picked them to win 7 games this year that woulda been crazy talk.

MD is not a football school, they don't have a stadium that can draw recruits, and where I live in Maryland, I am lucky to see them on TV in the first half of the year.

Fridge only won games with his predecessors recruits, he got worse every year with his own players.

Let's not rewrite history.

I agree with you about Fridge but that still doesn't mean Edsall is the man for the job.

When AD Anderson hired Edsall he said the intent was to go "from good to great".

Well that's great and all but you don't hire Randy Edsall if that's your intent.

The university finally seems to be supporting the football program completely.

Uptick in recruiting, 155m indoor practice facility etc etc but you're still stuck with a mediocre coach.

• Like 1