Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Pierre Garcon: DJax and I can be top wide receiver duo

TK

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000356234/article/pierre-garcon-djax-and-i-can-be-top-wide-receiver-duo

Pierre Garcon: DJax and I can be top wide receiver duo

• By Marc Sessler
  • Around the League Writer

Alshon Jeffery claims that he and Brandon Marshall form the finest duo of wide receivers in the NFL.Pierre Garcon would beg to differ.

The Washington Redskins pass-catcher told NFL AM on Thursday that he and free-agent addition DeSean Jackson plan to shove the Chicago Bears' duo into second place.

"That's our goal -- to unseat (Jeffery and Marshall)," Garcon said. "But I guess last year their stats were the top two receivers on the same team -- to be up there in the top 10 category for catches and yards or however they play it out. They are two good receivers, but we'll be up there next year fighting for that position."

While Jeffery and Marshall paired for a whopping 189 catches and 2,716 yards last season, Garcon's claims are far from nonsensical.

After all, he led all NFL receivers with 113 grabs while Jackson shattered his own career marks for catches (82) and yardage (1,332) in Chip Kelly's high-octane attack.

Its a shame that seeing this, my first thought was knowing the "shut up and play or prove it" crowd would be here soon. Pretty stupid.

I see no reason why they can't. If everyone stays healthy, we have a ton of talent to keep track of on this offense.

We gonna be nasty dangerous.

He's absolutely right!! They can be the top WR duo in the league and I think they have a very good chance of being one of the best WR corps in the whole league. Roberts will be an excellent #3 guy and I believe Ryan Grant is going to make an impact his rookie season. I still think Moss has some in the tank and HankTime will be back to prove he belongs. As for our 2 main guys it's going to be very fun to watch them light up the league this upcoming season. Although I love summer and the warm weather, Fall can't get here soon enough.

The comments following the video are something else.  Some fans, the ones that comment on articles it seems (every time I read them), despise anything we do or say-constantly, and do not know a damn thing about our changes, and I will not educate idiots.  I keep up with every team in our division, and beyond to a slightly lesser extent  Know what you profess. They are under the impression our defense will be like last year.  For whatever reasons, my own idiocy-whatever; I actually think our defense will be much improved.  We shall see, but I am very optimistic for this year, ESPECIALLY considering our division. I personally love the confidence.  You gotta have it to excel & be great.  HTTR  

The comments following the video are something else.  Some fans, the ones that comment on articles it seems (every time I read them), despise anything we do or say-constantly, and do not know a damn thing about our changes, and I will not educate idiots.  I keep up with every team in our division, and beyond to a slightly lesser extent  Know what you profess. They are under the impression our defense will be like last year.  For whatever reasons, my own idiocy-whatever; I actually think our defense will be much improved.  We shall see, but I am very optimistic for this year, ESPECIALLY considering our division. I personally love the confidence.  You gotta have it to excel & be great.  HTTR  

Its a long summer, but with better coaching (more from a positional standpoint), and the additions of Hatcher, Clark, and Keenan Robinson, I don't think it is a reach to expect us, at the very least, not to be as bad as the last 2 years.

I love that Garcon feels this way. However, he also said last off season that our offense had a shot to be the BEST OFFENSE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL! Considering the upgrades we made on O and the potential upgrade in our Head Coach, it's not surprising that Garcon is thinking big numbers for the receiving corps. I'm a show me guy and we'll see what happens. But as long as our O-line is solid, I see no reason why the receivers and the overall offense won't make some loud noise this upcoming season.

I remember when Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell would flap their gums before every game.  Now, Garcon has more of a right to talk, but show me, don't tell me.

I think they can, but dammit start talking on the field.

Eh. This isn't so bad. Without seeing the segment, I'd guess that one of the NFL AM hosts asked what he thought about the list...

Would people prefer he say, "man, those guys are better than we are"?

This isn't trash talk for the sake of talking. It's good natured, set the bar high goal setting. I don't have a problem with it.

I could care less (for lack of a better phrase) about having the "best duo" in the NFL.

If Roberts and Reed "steal" receptions away from our "top duo" and wer're moving the chains and putting up points, then talk smack about the "we" and "our team" instead of "best duo".

I'd rather have the best Offense then the best duo.

I could care less (for lack of a better phrase) about having the "best duo" in the NFL.

If Roberts and Reed "steal" receptions away from our "top duo" and wer're moving the chains and putting up points, then talk smack about the "we" and "our team" instead of "best duo".

I'd rather have the best Offense then the best duo.

I'm not sure anyone said they'd rather have the top duo than the best offense... Including Garcon.

The question was probably asked about duos, so he answered about duos. I could bet you that Garcon would rather be on an offense where they're putting points on the board left and right and have the best receiving corps in football, rather than just the best duo.

I think sometimes we as fans look into things way too far.

I like it. If you don't believe you are the best at what you do then nobody else can believe it either. I would rather have guys that are over confident and ready to go out and prove their claims than guys that don't truly care about their craft.

I'm not sure anyone said they'd rather have the top duo than the best offense... Including Garcon.

The question was probably asked about duos, so he answered about duos.

That's exactly what was asked (I'm guessing those complaining haven't actually watched the video at the link lol). LOTS of jokes about how well he was dressed...

Host 1: "Pierre you're #80...I mean, 113 catches, you lead the league, and you're number....80. Really?"

Host 1: "If they knew you were gonna dress like that, would you have been higher?"

(laughter from everyone)

Host 2: "I just wanna say, #80 or not, you're top 10 in terms of best dressed, I think that's obvious at this point.."

(more laughter from everyone)

Host: "Listen, last week we hear Alshon Jeffery say that he and Brandon Marshall are the best receiving duo in the league. Is he right, or are you and DeSean Jackson, are you going to unseat them, or...do you think you might be the best?"

Garcon: "That's our goal -- to unseat them...."...and the rest that he said.

There isn't an ounce of bravado, or even over-confidence, in his voice, facial expression or body language. 

I think sometimes we as fans look into things way too far.

It should be the official ES slogan: "Extremeskins - Where we make everything mean more than it should"

I remember when Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell would flap their gums before every game.  Now, Garcon has more of a right to talk, but show me, don't tell me.

Agreed. This reminds me of last pre-season when he said they could be the NFL's best offense. (Yeesh.)

Why not spout words like "dynasty" at a press conference while you're at it, Pierre?

Agreed. This reminds me of last pre-season when he said they could be the NFL's best offense. (Yeesh.)

Why not spout words like "dynasty" at a press conference while you're at it, Pierre?

Not trying to be rude, but did you actually watch the video. He never said they would be the best. He said it was a goal. Then he said they were the best by the stats last year and were very good WRs. He finished saying they would be fighting for that position. Not exactly the pronouncement you are led to believe by the article title.

Don't you want your players to strive to be the best? Should he say, "No those guys are clearly better than us?".

EDIT: BTW He was promoting a charity event. But that got totally ignored!

I remember when Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell would flap their gums before every game. Now, Garcon has more of a right to talk, but show me, don't tell me.

the guy broke about every redskin record last year and we just added another top ten wr who compliments him perfectly. He was asked "if they COULD be the best" and he said yes. What is he proving to you, that would change his answer? They just got ranked the second best. Should he gave said they couldn't be the best duo?

That's exactly what was asked (I'm guessing those complaining haven't actually watched the video at the link lol). LOTS of jokes about how well he was dressed...

Host 1: "Pierre you're #80...I mean, 113 catches, you lead the league, and you're number....80. Really?"

Host 1: "If they knew you were gonna dress like that, would you have been higher?"

(laughter from everyone)

Host 2: "I just wanna say, #80 or not, you're top 10 in terms of best dressed, I think that's obvious at this point.."

(more laughter from everyone)

Host: "Listen, last week we hear Alshon Jeffery say that he and Brandon Marshall are the best receiving duo in the league. Is he right, or are you and DeSean Jackson, are you going to unseat them, or...do you think you might be the best?"

Garcon: "That's our goal -- to unseat them...."...and the rest that he said.

There isn't an ounce of bravado, or even over-confidence, in his voice, facial expression or body language.

It should be the official ES slogan: "Extremeskins - Where we make everything mean more than it should"

he just gave the most humble interview. I don't know how anyone could think him talking trash. He seems like such a good guy. I'm happy he's a redskin.

Archived