Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Ryan Grant (WR Tulane)

PCS

Really admiring the people who keep using my trigger phrases. "Great hands" and "special teams".

The more I hear those phrases, the better I like the guy.

Can we add "good routes" and "crisp cuts" to the list of phrases?

He really does seem like a guy who made himself into a student of the game, specifically because he understood that he can't physically impose himself on his opponents.  All these 6'4" guys lining up across from 5'10" corners often don't have to give 100%, they can afford to be sloppy because the margin of error is so high.  With smaller and mid-size guys who aren't burners, if you get sloppy, you probably won't be productive at all.

so I see a lot of experts come to this forum. They read about a 40 time or bench press number and suddenly they are experts at talent evaluation. I've seen this condition on ohter boards and forums. It is endlessly entertaining to read their posts.

so I see a lot of experts come to this forum. They read about a 40 time or bench press number and suddenly they are experts at talent evaluation. I've seen this condition on ohter boards and forums. It is endlessly entertaining to read their posts.

Bench Press has to be one of the dumbest measurements for overall strength that I see people use endlessly.

Nice hit and run.

I think here at ES we're fortunate to have some guys that really put the time in to give solid evaluations of players.  Are they always right?  Absolutely not.  Neither are the pros.  That's the thing about scouting though, it's subjective.  

Like any forum we have our bad apples that love or hate a prospect without any sound reasoning.  However the majority of the guys that are really active in the FA/Draft threads actually study the cut ups they can find and make informed evaluations.  For those of us that don't have the time to do this ourselves they're a great resource to get another opinion (outside of the media) on prospects.

ES isn't perfect but in my opinion we have a great group of contributors even if you do have to sift through the occasional hyperbole.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/rookie-minicamp-round-up-bridgewater-hits-the-ground-running-051914

The quoted comment below (not the article, which is about numerous rookies showing early promise) may have been posted in another related discussion somewhere, but thought I'd put it in here:

The Redskins certainly aren’t lacking for playmakers at wide receiver, but Tulane product Ryan Grant is quite the surprise.

“He plays like a 10-year veteran already,” said first-year head coach Jay Gruden of the 6-foot, 199-pounder via the team’s transcript. “He’s very smooth. He understands route concepts. He understand depths and how important they are and how to set people up. … Easy in and out of breaks, effortlessly.

He had a couple drops, (but he was) a little nervous I’m sure. Very, very excited to have Ryan (with) that ability, and like I said, when we drafted him, the ability to be able move him around outside and inside I think is a huge benefit for us and him. He’s going to be a very good football player.”

Not sure why people were bellyaching over drafting a WR, when beyond our starting 3 we don't have a whole lot.  Both Hank and Robinson need to show more to stick around.

I also think we get caught up a bit too much on measurables when more important stuff, like being able to run routes and catch the ball aren't included.  This guy does seem to be able to do those things.

Pretty sure it's been reported he does, which is very good news for us and him.

Yeah, since I posted that, I read somewhere (I think in an interview) where the plan was for him to spend some time on teams in addition to competing for a WR role on the offense.

Just to touch on some things that were said about Grant that don't jive with what NFL.com said about him. Someone on here said that he ran good routes, another that he could take the top of defenses, and another said that he is like Garcon or even compared him to Jason Avant. But here is what NFL.com said about his weaknesses:

Weaknesses
 Could stand to improve functional strength and physicality. Can be jammed and rerouted at the line. Pedestrian speed. Is an unpolished route runner and does not consistently separate -- drifts into patterns neglecting deception and does not snap off breaks. Limited route tree. Marginal blocker. Appears lackadaisical at times -- intermittent intensity, urgency and compete level. Questionable courage to work the middle of the field.

That doesn't say anything about taking the top off of defenses or a good route runner. The traits don't compare to Garcon or even Jason Avant. But he can learn all those things and can improve from everything that he is saying because otherwise he won't be here very long. Also to the poster that posted the clips to show everyone his catching ability or seperation skills or whatever else you were trying to show us baout Grant, please mark him in the pictures or give us some indication of where he was at in the pictures. It would help otherwise it defeats the purpose of posting them.

Just to touch on some things that were said about Grant that don't jive with what NFL.com said about him. Someone on here said that he ran good routes, another that he could take the top of defenses, and another said that he is like Garcon or even compared him to Jason Avant. But here is what NFL.com said about his weaknesses:

Weaknesses

Could stand to improve functional strength and physicality. Can be jammed and rerouted at the line. Pedestrian speed. Is an unpolished route runner and does not consistently separate -- drifts into patterns neglecting deception and does not snap off breaks. Limited route tree. Marginal blocker. Appears lackadaisical at times -- intermittent intensity, urgency and compete level. Questionable courage to work the middle of the field.

That doesn't say anything about taking the top off of defenses or a good route runner. The traits don't compare to Garcon or even Jason Avant. But he can learn all those things and can improve from everything that he is saying because otherwise he won't be here very long. Also to the poster that posted the clips to show everyone his catching ability or seperation skills or whatever else you were trying to show us baout Grant, please mark him in the pictures or give us some indication of where he was at in the pictures. It would help otherwise it defeats the purpose of posting them.

And here are some things said from CBS Sports.com that doesn't jive with NFL.com lol:

Smooth body control and coordination, using his footwork to hold and deceive DBs in coverage...crafty route runner with proper timing, precision and depth to set up his moves and create just enough space to operate - knows how to win in 1-on-1 situations...quick, good-sized hands and tracks very well, locating and watching it into his hands - natural over-the-shoulder pass catcher with good focus and reflexes...experience lining up inside and outside with a very good sense of surroundings wherever he is on the field...tough and gritty after the catch and won't concede yards...confident, determined and plays with a chip on his shoulder - worked hard to return from hernia surgery in 2011...

Weaknesses

My guess is that, the written up part was by Nolan Nawrocki, which literally means about 0% to me what he has to say 

My guess is that, the written up part was by Nolan Nawrocki, which literally means about 0% to me what he has to say

Is that a negative ("screw that mother trucker!")nor a "I don't know **** about this dude"?

And did you watch much film on Grant, enough to gain a strong impression? I ask because I'm curious about your take on the massive discrepancy in the two above scouting reports. Gruden's take seems way more in line with the cbs one anyway... but I'll take that with a grain of salt.

Is that a negative ("screw that mother trucker!")nor a "I don't know **** about this dude"?

And did you watch much film on Grant, enough to gain a strong impression? I ask because I'm curious about your take on the massive discrepancy in the two above scouting reports. Gruden's take seems way more in line with the cbs one anyway... but I'll take that with a grain of salt.

More so if you google search Nawrocki you can find out why I dont really respect the guy

• 3 months later...

At 6 foot, 199 pounds, Grant is not the big-target wide receiver the Redskins currently lack. He also has ordinary speed, clocking at 4.62 in the 40. But, according to scouting reports, he has some of the best hands in the draft. He was also productive in college, hauling in 75-plus passes and over 1,000 yards in each of last two seasons at Tulane. He missed all but one game in 2011 after undergoing hernia surgery.

“God blessed me with some great hands,” Grant said. “I was born with that talent."

He added: “My game? I’m consistent with it, man. I’m great with route running, I have great hands, I’m quick in and out my breaks and when that ball is in the air, I’m going to go up there and contest the [defensive back] and get the ball.”

Grant acknowledges that he needs to improve his strength and become more proficient at gaining yards after the catch.

“I’m a hard worker; I work hard at everything,” he said. “I try to get better by the day.”

http://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/redskins-wr-ryan-grant-god-blessed-me-great-hands

Ryan Grant nails it when he describes his game.  He's walked this talk since day 1, congratulations on making it to the active game day roster game one, on a loaded team re: WRs.

Ryan Grant nails it when he describes his game.  He's walked this talk since day 1, congratulations on making it to the active game day roster game one, on a loaded team re: WRs.

Agree - nice to see a humble and hard working WR.. Hoping he can take the promise and hard work to the next level and become an asset tho this team.  Its obvious that the coaches love him - looking forward to seeing what he can do to help this team already rich in quality receivers.

Archived