Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Ryan Grant (WR Tulane)

PCS

So here's a video of him doing some Red Zone 1on1 work in the Senior Bowl practices.

Here's who he goes against:

1st rep - Keith McGill, 6'3 & 3/8ths, 4.44 40 (combine) 4.53 40 (pro day), drafted 4th round (pick 116)

2nd rep - Walt Aikens, 6'0 & 5/8ths, 4.49 40 (pro day), drafted 4th round (pick 125)

3rd rep - Walt Aikens again

The more I read about this guy, the more I like the pick. Gotta think, nobody after Roberts on the depth chart is safe. And trust me, if he makes a habit of actually catching the ball when its thrown to him, he will have a home in the NFL.

This was my least favorite pick of the draft, but not because I don't like the player. I can get on the Grant band wagon. If he can eventually be a reliable receiver and play special teams, he has value. 

I just can't get over the fact that David Yankey (G, Stanford) was sitting there in the 5th round and we didn't take him. 

My priority has been to shore up the OL with really sturdy guys. Maybe Gruden likes some combination of LeRibeus, Gettis or Chester, but I do not. Add in that Lichtensteiger isn't a stout C, and I think there was a real opportunity to solidify things by adding Yankey. 

Now, if I'm wrong about our in-house guys, I can live with that and be happy. However, I'm very biased about protecting RG3's pocket, and I think Yankey would have helped in that regard. 

My priority has been to shore up the OL with really sturdy guys. Maybe Gruden likes some combination of LeRibeus, Gettis or Chester, but I do not. Add in that Lichtensteiger isn't a stout C, and I think there was a real opportunity to solidify things by adding Yankey. 

Can't forget Lauvao.  He should be pushing someone out immediately.

If Lich takes center, that leaves one of Gettis, LeRib, or Long to handle RG, which should work out.  Gettis was getting praise, LeRib, seems to have gotten the message that you can't play RG at 400 pounds, and Long should compete immediately if healthy.

Grant seems like a guy you can slip onto the field and draw a linebacker to cover, and who'll

- beat that LB 9 times out of 10 (some sick jukes in there)

- catch the ball if it's in his vicinity 9/10

- and get you 6-8 yards without too much fuss.  Gives us a lot of options on mid-range 3rd downs.

I've taken some gifs from the lone Ryan Grant game that's on draftbreakdown.  It's Tulane's bowl game against Louisiana-Lafayette.  Tulane lost 24-21, but Ryan Grant had 7 catches for 113 yards.

Things that are immediately noticeable is that he's a hands catcher, he tries to catch the ball away from his body and will sometimes attack the ball.  Our FO made an emphasis on getting more receivers with a larger catch radius.  Andre Roberts is known for his catch radius.  Garcon and Reed have a large catch radius.  And our new draft pick, Ryan Grant, definitely has a large catch radius.  So we've doubled the amount of guys on our team, that can catch the ball reliably when it's away from their body.

Catch 1.

CheapSomberAustraliancurlew.gif

Catch 2.  Now here's an example of a LARGE catch radius:

SomberGrandioseAbyssiniancat.gif

Different angle:

LinearElectricIguana.gif

Catch 3.

TalkativeExemplaryGull.gif

Catch 4.

DistortedUncommonFlicker.gif

Different view of the same catch:

FavorableMinorEquine.gif

Catch 5.  He's very comfortable catching the ball underneath with defenders closing in on him.  This seems like it's a large part of the Tulane offense, they ran plays like this often in order to get some easy and quick yards:

NervousGraciousAmericanwigeon.gif

Catch 6.  Here's an example of him attacking the football.  I really like this aspect, yes it's leaving a yard or two on the table, but it reduces the risk of the defender getting a hand on the pass (or god forbid, intercepting it).

DeliriousSerpentineAlligatorgar.gif

Catch 7.  Notice how he plucks the ball out of the air while not breaking stride:

NegligibleSeveralHyrax.gif

Different angle of same catch:

ImaginativePastAsiaticmouflon.gif

Another angle:

GrossGoldenEidolonhelvum.gif

Can't forget Lauvao.  He should be pushing someone out immediately.

If Lich takes center, that leaves one of Gettis, LeRib, or Long to handle RG, which should work out.  Gettis was getting praise, LeRib, seems to have gotten the message that you can't play RG at 400 pounds, and Long should compete immediately if healthy.

Grant seems like a guy you can slip onto the field and draw a linebacker to cover, and who'll

- beat that LB 9 times out of 10 (some sick jukes in there)

- catch the ball if it's in his vicinity 9/10

- and get you 6-8 yards without too much fuss.  Gives us a lot of options on mid-range 3rd downs.

Pre-draft, Lauvao is the one interior guy we have that won't get pushed back every snap. I don't love him, but I think his physicality is valuable. I don't trust Licht (though he's ok) and I'll believe Chester, LeRibeus and Gettis are stout when I see it. So, IMO, we needed two stout interior linemen from this draft. We got one (and unlike many, I loved the Spencer Long pick). I just wish we also got another. It only matters though if the in-house guys aren't good enough.  

And none of this really says anything about Grant. With enough picks, I'd have wanted him too. I just didn't prioritize him as a need because he'll basically only be a ST guy in year 1 and 2.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/350442-welcome-to-the-redskins-alfred-morris-rb-florida-atlantic/

Interesting how some of the same things said about Morris are mirrored in this thread.

Not saying he's gonna become a rookie phenom, but the game is played on the field. We've seen that late round picks can produce, so at least let's get through camp before writing the dude off!

Credit to Grant. He followed up a poor combine with a strong pro day showing.

Catches everything that comes his way, runs good routes. Has special teams ability, more than most of our other WR's outside of Garcon, DJax and Roberts. Seems like a good fit as a #4 or #5 for now.

Plus Gruden said he was a value pick as we had him slated slightly higher than where we got him. Whats not to like ?

Pre-draft, Lauvao is the one interior guy we have that won't get pushed back every snap. I don't love him, but I think his physicality is valuable. I don't trust Licht (though he's ok) and I'll believe Chester, LeRibeus and Gettis are stout when I see it. So, IMO, we needed two stout interior linemen from this draft. We got one (and unlike many, I loved the Spencer Long pick). I just wish we also got another. It only matters though if the in-house guys aren't good enough.

And none of this really says anything about Grant. With enough picks, I'd have wanted him too. I just didn't prioritize him as a need because he'll basically only be a ST guy in year 1 and 2.

You really don't want to start multiple rookies on your OL anyway.

So if Moses is able to beat out Polbumbus, there your first starting rookie.

Add him to Williams, luavo, kory...

I think they'll like to see one of the second or third year guys compete for the other guard spot, with this years rookie getting a back up/development gig.

I also don't think they want to flip out 4 guys on the OL all at once. That's a lot of change, and miscommunication could stall the offense

http://es.redskins.com/topic/350442-welcome-to-the-redskins-alfred-morris-rb-florida-atlantic/

Interesting how some of the same things said about Morris are mirrored in this thread.

Not saying he's gonna become a rookie phenom, but the game is played on the field. We've seen that late round picks can produce, so at least let's get through camp before writing the dude off!

T Murphy, M Moses, S Long, B Breeland, R Grant, L Seastrunk, T Bolser, and potentially Z Hocker are all going to be superstarz and ballers for the Skins. Posted May 12, 2014 @ 6:15 PM.

I really disliked that we drafted another WR.  That said, I think Grant could turn out to be a great receiver for years to come.  He has natural things you cant teach, and his main two knocks on him are size(which Ive always found stupid), and things like route running that he can learn.  

Hes a hard worker, and was VERY productive at Tulane.  Sometimes players can just play.

I really disliked that we drafted another WR.  That said, I think Grant could turn out to be a great receiver for years to come.  He has natural things you cant teach, and his main two knocks on him are size(which Ive always found stupid), and things like route running that he can learn.  

Hes a hard worker, and was VERY productive at Tulane.  Sometimes players can just play.

The bolded part was never really a knock on him though. He's one of the more polished route runners 

The bolded part was never really a knock on him though. He's one of the more polished route runners 

Exactly.  He was one of the best route runners in this draft, and has the best hands.  It was his size and speed that made him drop so far.  If he can become a receiver like Stevie Johnson on the 49ers (formerly of the Bills), who is an extremely good route runner and dominates against elite CBs like Sherman and Revis, I will be very happy.

Skins have their 3 starting WRs.  The backups need to be able to play ST in order to make the active roster.  Grant should be able to do that while some of the other WRs on the roster (e.g., Hankerson) don't.   It may take a couple years for the WR to develop into a starter so by then we'll potentially have a replacement for one of the 3 starters.  A 5th round pick as a starter instead of a super expensive free agent or using a 1st or 2nd round pick on another rookie next year.  This draft was supposedly especially deep at WR.  The Skins took the opportunity when they could get good talent at the cheap price of a 5th round pick.  Skins are finally taking the longer term view on developing a sustainable roster and we complain.  

Exactly.  He was one of the best route runners in this draft, and has the best hands.  It was his size and speed that made him drop so far.  If he can become a receiver like Stevie Johnson on the 49ers (formerly of the Bills), who is an extremely good route runner and dominates against elite CBs like Sherman and Revis, I will be very happy.

Whoah. Didn't know BUF already shipped him out.

Whoah. Didn't know BUF already shipped him out.

Yea.  Traded him to SF for a 4th round pick (conditional 3rd).  I was shocked to say the least.  But I heard he has an attitude problem and didn't fit in with the other players in Buffalo.  The kid is a hell of a route-runner though:

852192140.gif

Ryan F-ing Grant? Really? Let's see he has average size, he'a slower than my grandfather after a nap, and Jarrod Abbiderios from Wisconsin was on the board who is taller, faster, and considered the best route runner in the country. This team has a pathalogical need to flush mid to late round draft picks down the toilet.

Grant will not makle it out of camp. They screwed the pooch again. Please don't just dismiss this as a late round pick so who cares.Get angry. They own the fans who pay for this gold mine an explanation.

And to prove my point they flushed their last pick with a kicker we didn't need.

God here we go again.

Could we hire Ozzie Nusome to run the Skins draft?

Let's get the torches out for Jay Gruden and Bruce Allen now. :P  Ozzie Nusome is a great GM, but the Ravens don't win the Super Bowl every year..  His job is the same as Allen's and every other GM in the NFL.  The season didn't just end right after the draft.

Yea.  Traded him to SF for a 4th round pick (conditional 3rd).  I was shocked to say the least.  But I heard he has an attitude problem and didn't fit in with the other players in Buffalo.  The kid is a hell of a route-runner though:

That was nasty!  He was making those moves without losing any speed.  We can only hope Ryan Grant turns into another late round diamond in the rough like Stevie Johnson.

To put up any numbers with the QB he had to endure is an accomplishment, just think we could have easily drafted this guy in the 7th rd, and if we some how missed out? Big deal!

I have to say; he just may be the last guy I would consider drafting in the 5th rd.

1(141) Eagles (From Texans) Hart, Taylor DE 6'6" 281 Oregon 5.2

2(142) Redskins Grant, Ryan WR 6'0" 199 Tulane 5.1

3(143) Buccaneers Edwards, Kadeem OG 6'4" 313 Tennessee St. 5.2

4(144) Jaguars Smith, Telvin ILB 6'3" 218 Florida St. 5.3

5(145) Vikings (From Browns) Yankey, David OG 6'6" 315 Stanford 5.5

6(146) Cowboys (From Raiders through Seahawks and Lions) Street, Devin WR 6'3" 198 Pittsburgh 5.2

7(147) Falcons Allen, Ricardo CB 5'9" 187 Purdue 5.1

8(148) Panthers (From Vikings) Benwikere, Bene CB 5'11" 195 San Jose St. 5.2

9(149) Buccaneers (From Bills) Pamphile, Kevin OT 6'5" 310 Purdue 5.0

10(150) 49ers (From Lions through Jaguars) Lynch, Aaron DE 6'5" 249 South Florida 5.1

11(151) Titans Williamson, Avery ILB 6'1" 246 Kentucky 5.2

12(152) Giants Berhe, Nat SS 5'10" 193 San Diego St. 5.2

13(153) Bills (From Rams) Richardson, Cyril OG 6'5" 329 Baylor 5.4

14(154) Jets George, Jeremiah ILB 5'11" 234 Iowa St. 5.1

15(155) Dolphins Lynch, Arthur TE 6'5" 258 Georgia 5.0

16(156) Broncos (From Bears) Barrow, Lamin OLB 6'1" 237 LSU 5.3

17(157) Steelers Richardson, Shaquille CB 6'0" 194 Arizona 5.1

18(158) Lions (From Cowboys) Reid, Caraun DT 6'2" 302 Princeton 5.4

19(159) Jaguars (From Ravens) Smith, Chris DE 6'1" 266 Arkansas 5.3

20(160) Cardinals Stinson, Ed DE 6'3" 287 Alabama 5.5

21(161) Packers Linsley, Corey C 6'3" 296 Ohio St. 5.1

22(162) Eagles Reynolds, Ed FS 6'1" 207 Stanford 5.1

23(163) Chiefs Murray, Aaron QB 6'1" 207 Georgia 5.0

24(164) Bengals McCarron, AJ QB 6'3" 220 Alabama 5.7

25(165) Chargers Carrethers, Ryan NT 6'1" 337 Arkansas State 5.1

26(166) Colts Newsome, Jonathan DE 6'3" 247 Ball St. 5.2

27(167) Saints Sunseri, Vinnie SS 5'11" 210 Alabama 5.1

28(168) Falcons (From Panthers through Vikings) Spruill, Marquis ILB 6'1" 231 Syracuse 5.0

29(169) Saints (From Patriots through Eagles) Powell, Ronald OLB 6'3" 237 Florida 5.3

30(170) 49ers Reaser, Keith CB 5'10" 189 Florida Atlantic 5.1

31(171) Dolphins (From Broncos through 49ers) Tripp, Jordan OLB 6'3" 234 Montana 5.1

32(172) Seahawks Staten, Jimmy DT 6'4" 303 Middle Tennessee St. 4.8

33(173) Steelers (Compensatory selection) Johnson, Wesley OT 6'5" 297 Vanderbilt 5.3

34(174) Giants (Compensatory selection) Kennard, Devon OLB 6'3" 249 USC 5.1

35(175) Ravens (Compensatory selection) Urschel, John OG 6'3" 313 Penn St. 5.2

36(176) Packers (Compensatory selection) Abbrederis, Jared WR 6'1" 195 Wisconsin

Archived