Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Open Letter From Dan Snyder: The Washington Redskins Original Americans Foundation

TK

Some of you guys are sounding so GD cynical I want to dropkick you in the face. Politicians talking about taking our trademark, but I don't see any of them sending a dime of their own money or passing a bill towards the real issues these people face everyday. Dan is in a situation where he can't win, so he's doing what he feels is the right thing to do.

These people need help, and changing the name isn't going to do a damn for them. At the end of the day, forget who's doing it or why, it needs to be done. We're a billion franchise with a Native American on the side of our helmet, IT'S THE LEAST WE CAN DO.

Hail

Some of you guys are sounding so GD cynical I want to dropkick you in the face. Politicians talking about taking our trademark, but I don't see any of them sending a dime of their own money or passing a bill towards the real issues these people face everyday. Dan is in a situation where he can't win, so he's doing what he feels is the right thing to do.

These people need help, and changing the name isn't going to do a damn for them. At the end of the day, forget who's doing it or why, it needs to be done. We're a billion franchise with a Native American on the side of our helmet, IT'S THE LEAST WE CAN DO.

Hail

Who has said anything negative in this thread?

Already a bunch of buffoons spewing nonsense without even reading the letter. It's a damn shame how many ppl try to get attention/page views/publicity by pretending to care about the NA plight.

At least Snyder is doing actual things to change it

Where? Here or other sites?

This will do more to actually help Native Americans with real issues than anything anyone on the name change side of things has or will ever do. If the name ever did get changed those people would enjoy their "victory" and move on to the next cause.

I think it is a great move by the team. I've thought for awhile that the best thing they could do would be start a foundation to address real Native American issues. Of course because it is Dan Snyder it will be heavily criticized by all of the usual suspects.

You are exactly right,Dan has already accomplished more to help Native Americans than the name changers ever have. Great idea and this is way more than a publicity stunt. Snyder didn't have to do what he's already done,and is lining up to do with this program in the future.It's funny how the media and others that are so worried about the name don't seem to ever mention the real plight of Native Americans.

If a small group of Native Americans would have had their hand out asking for donations for pressing needs to our front office instead of changing the name the last 20 years this wouldnt have been accomplished. So in a way that small group of name bashers were a blessing in disguise. Glad Snyder is using his power to give people an opportunity to help out the Native American community! No one else is. But we can all use this in your face example on how to change society...you threaten to hurt their pockets and you can get movement.

I think it's a solid move, and hope it becomes more substantial than just a PR Release.

Personally, This would have been better as a weekend news dump because this is going to get torn apart by everyone's so-called "A-Team" come the morning. Hell, the cynics on Twitter are already out in full force.

I avoid all the networks For anything outside of game broadcasts but I imagine those who torture themselves with First Take will have an extra angry morning.

he's already donated stuff so it's already more than a PR release

I love how deadspin has already mocked actually tangibly addressing needs specifically imparted from Native American tribes because that uses "money" instead of focusing on the name issue, because apparently white men in the media know what's best for NAs more so then themselves.

he's already donated stuff so it's already more than a PR release

At the rollout, sure. I want to see this 5 years from now being a huge part of the organization's outreach and not another gesture that doesn't materialize to anything of substance after the first set of positive headlines. I think Dan and the organization are genuine enough to do this but time will tell.

If you have some time? Give it. If you have some energy? Give it. If you have some love? Give it. If you have some money? Give it. You will receive more than you can comprehend in return. It's not what you take, or what you say...it's WHAT YOU DO IN LIFE. If you can? Give.

If you have some time? Give it. If you have some energy? Give it. If you have some love? Give it. If you have some money? Give it. You will receive more than you can comprehend in return. It's not what you take, or what you say...it's WHAT YOU DO IN LIFE. If you can? Give.

Ok, so here's the thing:

1. Do the Redskins and Dan Snyder have something to gain from thisove? Yes.

2. Can they also be guininely interests in the well being of the Native American community? Yes.

3. If the money and support is going to people in need, does the motivation really matter to the people who are being helped? No.

I'm not sure about this. If they are going to do this then they have to do it right or else this can get ugly real fast. Like what if some random tribe start complaining about not receiving any assistance and then 60 minutes come snooping around asking where did the money go and showing NA's struggling on primetime television. I think this move is a low reward, potentially high risk move by Snyder.

Wow...tear it down boys. Burn the the ship before she even gets a chance to float. HAIL SKINS! Try...just once in your life...to support something without a political view. Are you a Skins fan? Have you ever done wrong? Have you ever been given a second chance? Quit trying to analyze everything. Maybe try to get behind something positive. Just a little. The truth will emerge but just give it a chance will ya? HAIL SKINS!!!!

This is what a lot of us were hoping for, and I'm glad something positive came out of this whole team name mess. Only God knows the intentions of those who give, so I'm not going to assume anything about Dan or anyone in the organization here except that this is definitely a step in the right direction. 

Well done Dan. I could not be more proud to be Washington Redskins fan! I will be one for life! 

You can argue the sincerity if you want (I for one believe him 100%), I seriously doubt that the children putting on new coats that are keeping them from freezing could care less the "motives" of the person providing the coats! There are just thankful to be warm. 

So name change folks, who did you help today?   crickets…..

Hail to the Redskins now and forever!

Archived